what would you buy??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
If you had £2000 to spend on a cdp,amp,and a pair of bookshelf speakers?Iknow its a massive choice,the system would be for all sorts of music from metallica to scooter to angie stone and then on to a bit of will young!!

Again i know its all down to a matter of personal taste but would love to know whos favouring what and why.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

A

Anonymous

if I were starting from scratch and needed a system with bookshelves, I would go for the AVI 9.1's (or similar) with a subwoofer, connected to a pc for spotify and internet radio

however, I have loads of cd's and prefer the older systems with amp/cdp and large floorstanders as I have a decent sized listening room

matthewpiano

I'd buy a big old Kenwood, Sansui, JVC, or Pioneer amp and get it re-capped and serviced. For speakers I'd buy some big old KEFs - something like Concertos or the early Reference series. I'd use my Technics deck for vinyl and a Sony ES CD player of some description. I'd also add a nice old Sansui tuner.

The change? I'd spend it on music.

A

Anonymous

A good quality valve amp

Some small sensitive standmounts

Spotify and Cd as source through a great dac.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i dont know the kit that i would buy but if i couldnt find a cracking ex dem deal i would be buying it second hand of flea bay, with that budget i'd probably be looking at what i have now, cyrus and dynaudio.

Sliced Bread

I'll hold my hands up and say that I've not heard this system in its entirety, however I have finally heard the amp and cd player together (they are very nice). The speakers have been recommended with this amp from people on the forum so I'm taking that in good faith. It is also 420 pounds over the budget but I've been tempted by...

Neat Motive 3
http://whathifi.com/Review/Neat-Motive-3/
Naim Nait 5i
http://whathifi.com/Review/Naim-Nait-5i/
Naim CD5i (Mk II)
http://whathifi.com/Review/Naim-CD5i-Mk-II/

Total cost 2420

A

Anonymous

my new main system (hopefully by the end of the year) ... all 2nd hand items:

musical fidelity A5 integrated amp

IMF TLS 80 speakers (if none avail at a good price, I will consider Celestion Ditton 66)

Acoustic Precision Eikos cdp (Tom Evans modded)

will have all items serviced/checked then get the components to also connect to a pc/spotify

not my ultimate 'dream system', but if all goes well, should cost me less than £2700 which will include the servicing/checkover and connecting to spotify

hope to buy 1 item at a time as funds become available

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
i use this as a benchmark for myself when i get tempted to change things. i spent £2,100 for my 3 main items (cd, amp, speakers, all new). if i had that money again i really dont think i would choose anything different. as mentioned above the Neat Motive speakers are really great for their price and i think the Arcam A32 amplifier which comes with a good phono section is amazing value.

i have often been tempted reading mag reviews etc (Naim XS Amp for instance) but its hard to imagine £2,000 doing better than what i ended up with

One item that i have seen at a great price recently is the Proac 1SC speaker at c£800 - i demod these alongside the Neats and they were great but at the time i was buying cost £1,300.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts