If you had insane amount of cash, what would be your personal HiFi Choice for 2024?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

podknocker

I'd start with having a room built specifically for sound reproduction. The room is always the limiting factor, and many people end up with an unsuitable system for the room it is going in. The right system in the right room doesn't necessarily have to be mega bucks, because it's all working harmoniously.
Spot on. A bespoke listening room is essential, if you want to appreciate expensive HIFI components. Much cheaper devices will also sound incredible, within a room designed entirely for music. Not too many reflective surfaces etc. Not even windows and really quiet aircon would be needed. You also want some nice comfy leather seating, but not too many soft items to absorb that lovely treble you've paid a fortune for!

When I looked at the RS website earlier, there were some 146" OLEDs at startling prices - gone now for some reason. But given the cash I'd be tempted. Can't get my head around projectors, though a suitable demo might well see me eat those words. Existing room is probably big enough at roughly 7m sq, so I'd go all out in terms of a great set of HC speakers and amps to really get closer to the cinema experience. Just without the inconvenience and irritation of having others there...

Fandango Andy

Anyone watch the TV show Bosch? I have always loved the look of that system:

McIntosh MX110 pre-amp
McIntosh MC-240 power amplifier
Marantz 6300 turntable
Ohm Walsh loudspeakers

Especially those Ohm's (although one of them seemed to disappear in the last season).

Obviously, on top of thr system I would need a couple of million to buy the house that goes with it even, even though all that glass could be a problem for the sound!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240226-212959_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240226-212959_Chrome.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 7
I was disappointed when I heard the Michi set-up at Bristol, with Spendor speakers, but that may have been down to the room and set-up.
So was I! They were searingly bright when I went in, so spent barely a minute hoping it would be ok after all, before I left for the sake of my ears.

Unfortunately that larger room didn’t sound as good as the regular rooms, and I recall the Cadence set up at Ascot wasn’t very pleasant either. A mystery when the individual components are favourably reviewed.

Reactions: matthewpianist

matthewpianist

What were your thoughts....?

To my ears, it was both flat sounding and a bit edgy too. It just didn't engage me somehow, whereas some other systems at the show did.

As I said already, I don't think the room helped, but my experience with owning Spendors (A1) in the past didn't warm me to the brand. Out of the two, I'd take Harbeth every time.

Reactions: nopiano

matthewpianist

That's what I mean - everyone seems to try and buy the best equipment they can, but no one really addresses unwanted ambient noise. A lot of people might think they've got none, but everyone has. It goes beyond a bit of furnishing.
There's little most of us can do. Sharing the house with the rest of the family and the demands of a busy household mean that eradicating ambient noise is pretty much impossible on most occasions.

I think this is where we can dream about the exotic kit, but keep feet planted in the real world, where compromises have to be made.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
To my ears, it was both flat sounding and a bit edgy too. It just didn't engage me somehow, whereas some other systems at the show did.

As I said already, I don't think the room helped, but my experience with owning Spendors (A1) in the past didn't warm me to the brand. Out of the two, I'd take Harbeth every time.
Ah...well, I ain't gonna buy one because there's no need. I'm perfectly happy with my Model 30, which imparts to the speakers an amazing multi-layered sound. Not easy to describe. The music shimmers with a lovely weight, depth and sparkle. The silence is beautifully black. Very rarely fatigueing. Far too risky an undertaking to change it. If it ain't broke and all that. Occams razor-the simplest approach, is usually the right one - ie, for me..... if it's alright, change nothing.
And the speakers. Old but pretty decent 805 Matrix. Among What Hi-Fi's 25 "best speakers of all time".

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
There's little most of us can do. Sharing the house with the rest of the family and the demands of a busy household mean that eradicating ambient noise is pretty much impossible on most occasions.

I think this is where we can dream about the exotic kit, but keep feet planted in the real world, where compromises have to be made.
This is very true.
The ultimate Hifi upgrade for me, would be to annexe my house or in two years when I decide to sell up, I'll find a nice property that has an annexed dwellings like the one in the photo, preferably brick and mortar.
I'll name it my WACNA (Wife and Children Not Allowed) :)

1709298505882.png

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
If you had insane amount of cash, what would be your personal HiFi Choice for 2024?

View: https://youtu.be/f_0fE9T78YM?si=UdJ76Xzj4N98zibc
A newly built house with rooms designed for audio particularly a good layout for a surround sound system where doors and windows are not where I want the speakers to be placed.

Upgrade my 4K 65" touch panel to the 98" one ( 8k?).

Smarts would suggest ceiling speakers and in wall speakers as offered by the likes of Meridian and B&O. Some would suggest the £125k Beolab 90 or even their cheap Beolab 50 for front and rears. Maybe if I had the hearing that measured to over 15kHz and not barely above 11kHz.

I would fuss about getting Meridian A9, DSP7200SE or just adding a B&O Theatre to the Beolab 28, 17, 19 ; the slightly more modest route. Beolab 8 for the dinning room/kitchen

Reactions: Jasonovich

TRENDING THREADS