What is the coolest looking or best designed HI-Fi you've seen.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Elipson Music Centre & /Planet SpeakersView attachment 5765
It does look cool I suppose. But I suspect that when you operate the controller thingy in the middle there, being atop such a long thin pole it's going to......wobble. I don't see how it can't. That would irritate me. Unless of course you never have to touch it. In fact the whole set up looks wobbly.
In addition, I'd constantly be looking at it thinking "That's not quite straight."

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Yes. When I was a teenager lots of amps had twin VU meters. Now not so many but they do have a certain visual charm I think. Were they dropped generally because they're unnecessary accoutrements which would ultimately lead to a degradation of the signal purity in an amplifier. I'm no expert in such matters. However that is my assumption. Is that correct or incorrect?

Dom

VU meters, which stands for Volume Unit meters provide a visual representation of the level of an audio signal.
Many still appreciate the simplicity and familiarity of VU meters.
VU meters are useful for monitoring average signal levels but not fast transients or peak levels.

They don't negatively effect sound quality from your speakers.

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Anything B&O
I always thought Bang and Olufsen was as good as it got back in the day when rich trendy people used it. Now, all those lovely looking flat glass covered systems they made can be bought pretty inexpensively.
I've no idea what stuff they market now. I've seen a globe shaped subwoofer by B&O but it's rather expensive even secondhand. Nevertheless I like the look of it. It's not unlike the B&W PV-1. I have one, the PV-1 that is hooked up to my amp.
What I like about it is that you absolutely don't notice it unless you switch it off. It's sound, blends seamlessly with the speakers and adds an almost imperceptible depth.
It's especially good with classical music.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
VU meters, which stands for Volume Unit meters provide a visual representation of the level of an audio signal.
Many still appreciate the simplicity and familiarity of VU meters.
VU meters are useful for monitoring average signal levels but not fast transients or peak levels.

They don't negatively effect sound quality from your speakers.
I see. Fascinating! I think I'll manage just fine without them.😀

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Yes. When I was a teenager lots of amps had twin VU meters. Now not so many but they do have a certain visual charm I think. Were they dropped generally because they're unnecessary accoutrements which would ultimately lead to a degradation of the signal purity in an amplifier. I'm no expert in such matters. However that is my assumption. Is that correct or incorrect?
Old school purists would argue better without the analogue VUs, however, HiFi giants like McIntosh see the value of having them.
I love the digital display of analogue VUs on my Eversolo. I think it's nice to create a lovely ambience, it sets the mood.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts