What is the coolest looking or best designed HI-Fi you've seen.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Yes. When I was a teenager lots of amps had twin VU meters. Now not so many but they do have a certain visual charm I think. Were they dropped generally because they're unnecessary accoutrements which would ultimately lead to a degradation of the signal purity in an amplifier. I'm no expert in such matters. However that is my assumption. Is that correct or incorrect?
My first two amps (JVC stereo receiver and Pioneer integrated) were boys toys dream of flashing lights and VU meters. Only bettered by a retro graphic equaliser.

Reactions: JDL
I'd love all these in a dark listening room in my dream soundproofed bunker! At the moment, I doubt I could afford to have this lot plugged in and switched on considering energy prices.

That does look stunning - though I confess I don't like the look of McIntosh stuff up close. Not that this is likely to be an issue...

AJM1981

The main difference between studio gear and Hifi is that Hifi is furniture and somehow compliments an interior. This is what everything ever made is kind of about.

As mentioned in another topic- Personally I consider gear made by Wilson Audio plain ugly, but when I would rebuild the interior of Star Trek's enterprise I would definitely drag in Wilson Audio gear because it seems like the set designers started an audio company.

Braun goes with a lot of these white timeless Ikea rooms and a lot of vintage inspired gear is based on mid-century modern design.

I personally like walnut finished cabinet loudspeakers and metal plated amps without bells and whistles (and no integrated tuners).

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
It's surprising how many B&W 800 Matrix speakers, undoubtedly a studio oriented monitor have made it past the "Gatekeeper" and the "WAF" into audio obsessed mens houses.
I've seen several of these mighty beasts of a speaker set up inside people's living rooms on a few different forums. I've no idea what they fetch nowadays but I guess it's got to be several thousand pounds. I have yet to see a pair on eBay.

Reactions: AJM1981

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts