Which nation across the globe is making the best hi-fi?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

Not exactly a nation but more a collective tribe of people, like the Scandinavians come to my mind, are making some of the best Hi-Fis. Do check out the Danish Class D amp Axxess Forte 1 All in One Amplifier / Streamer / DAC. In terms of innovation, it is above their peers. They're using Tesler components for cooling. Though, £5K is way too steep for me, unfortunately.

View: https://youtu.be/bix6PacGKjE?si=SHOCHwIFBRBumatf

I don't think any one nation makes the best hifi, the 'best' in itself is difficult to propose and whilst one particular mob may be quite good at putting together a Class D amplifier I would suggest they'd be pretty rubbish when it comes to speakers or a Class A amplifier so I think this question is pretty much unanswerable.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
When you step back and take a stock of things, it really is a global market.
Every Nation has something to offer, we in blighty in the 70s certainly punched above our weight and even today, Britain has a great presence in the HiFi arena .
I was really thinking in terms of innovation.
Amplifiers haven't advanced much from traditional Class A and AB designs but more recently the pool of engineering talent appears to be levying their resources in the direction of the more energy efficient class D amp.
A trickle doesn't make a flood but we're beginning to see more and more premium amplifiers based on Class D.
It's the first time I heard about Active Tesla coils used as a cooling solution in class D Forte amps. I think this is an interesting development from the Danish company.
Is this something significant that the Danes can later claim to redefining a new market for future Class D amps?
I was just wondering what are other nations doing in terms of innovation and helping to advance HiFi to a new level?

Last edited:

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Poland also is a country which has lets say an audiophile interests in HiFi also I believe Warsaw stages a comprehensive HiFi exhibition each year in their national stadium and Hotel Sobieski. Mytek and Lampizator components are probably known internationally but there are other brand components which are making themselves known.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Oxfordian

Not exactly a nation but more a collective tribe of people, like the Scandinavians come to my mind, are making some of the best Hi-Fis. Do check out the Danish Class D amp Axxess Forte 1 All in One Amplifier / Streamer / DAC. In terms of innovation, it is above their peers. They're using Tesler components for cooling. Though, £5K is way too steep for me, unfortunately.

View: https://youtu.be/bix6PacGKjE?si=SHOCHwIFBRBumatf
Nowhere makes the best as we are all different, I have a UK turntable and accessories, Norwegian Amp, UK/Chinese CDT and UK/Chinese speakers, this is the best set-up for me at the moment, although this may change as the year progresses.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Nowhere makes the best as we are all different, I have a UK turntable and accessories, Norwegian Amp, UK/Chinese CDT and UK/Chinese speakers, this is the best set-up for me at the moment, although this may change as the year progresses.
I totally agree, it's a global market, no nation has absolute dominance. If you look at my signature, it consists of many nations, Chinese, Danish, German, French, British, Japanese....any one I missed?

Reactions: Rodolfo

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Was this a trick question? No "nation" that I know makes any hi-fi.

I'd like to see a run-down of where the many/or "best" (or say, those reviewed and advertised in What Hi-Fi) brands/businesses are manufacturing (all) their units and components -regardless of where they are headquartered, pay taxes -or not-, or whatever. I'm curious to know which ones can answer the "where" question in one clear sentence. Moreover, I'd especially value answers to a "how" question, also efficiently and clearly, maybe in a paragraph.

(Or, can someone cite a source where something like this has been published recently -or not so recently?)

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Was this a trick question? No "nation" that I know makes any hi-fi.

I'd like to see a run-down of where the many/or "best" (or say, those reviewed and advertised in What Hi-Fi) brands/businesses are manufacturing (all) their units and components -regardless of where they are headquartered, pay taxes -or not-, or whatever. I'm curious to know which ones can answer the "where" question in one clear sentence. Moreover, I'd especially value answers to a "how" question, also efficiently and clearly, maybe in a paragraph.

(Or, can someone cite a source where something like this has been published recently -or not so recently?)

I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question, the more you probe the deeper you fall into the rabbit hole.
It's worth checking the older thread dated 21 Nov 2010, I wonder if the outcome (or lack of!) was the same?

1707759601308.png

Reactions: Rodolfo

Dom

1. America - McIntosh, Klipsch, and JBL.
  2. Japan - Sony, Yamaha, and Pioneer.
  3. U.K - Bowers & Wilkins, KEF, and Tannoy.
  4. Germany - Sennheiser, Neumann, and Beyerdynamic.
  5. Denmark - Bang & Olufsen and Dynaudio.
These countries stand out for their contributions to the Hi-Fi industry. According to Googles Gemini AI.

And I don't doubt that.

matthewpianist

There's good and bad from everywhere, and there's also the difference between where kit is designed and where it is made.

I know people make big claims for British hi-fi from the 70s, but in truth there was kit coming out of Japan that although different in approach was every bit as capable. Sony, Denon, Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer and Luxman (for example) all made stuff that challenged the Brit kit. That still holds true; the choice between a top-end Denon or Marantz amp and a Rega or NAIM isn't an easy one to make. There's also plenty of kit from other parts of the world that challenges those.

Reactions: manicm

podknocker

There's great HIFI from all over the world, but most of it is made in China. Look at all the IAG kit out there, it's all Chinese really and Tannoy is now owned by a company called Music Tribe based in the Philippines.

Last edited:

Oxfordian

There's good and bad from everywhere, and there's also the difference between where kit is designed and where it is made.

I know people make big claims for British hi-fi from the 70s, but in truth there was kit coming out of Japan that although different in approach was every bit as capable. Sony, Denon, Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer and Luxman (for example) all made stuff that challenged the Brit kit. That still holds true; the choice between a top-end Denon or Marantz amp and a Rega or NAIM isn't an easy one to make. There's also plenty of kit from other parts of the world that challenges those.
I think my biggest fear is spending a good chunk of money on some gear and then a few years or so down the road, the warranty has expired and I need it fixed, at this point I wonder what sort of service I would get from Far East, European or UK companies, I am fairly confident that I know where my money would go.

matthewpianist

I think my biggest fear is spending a good chunk of money on some gear and then a few years or so down the road, the warranty has expired and I need it fixed, at this point I wonder what sort of service I would get from Far East, European or UK companies, I am fairly confident that I know where my money would go.

I think in that respect Naim, Linn, and Rega are probably the safest bets, probably Leema too. I'm not sure how much manufacturing (if any) Exposure does in the UK now.

Reactions: nopiano
Good point. Years ago I never thought of warranties because I used to change kit quite often, but once I settled down I realised long-term support was important. My system from the late 1990s was imported by Absolute Sounds (still going) and bought from Oxford Audio Consultants (also still there).

Later, buying ATC and Linn, which both offer transferable warranties, I realised how support was reassuring. Neither have broken, but both have helped with queries and spares.

I‘m aware that some of the services cost in the original list price though.

Reactions: Oxfordian

TRENDING THREADS