Help! Recommendations for hi-fi overhaul - GBP 3.5k budget

Hi all,

Hoping you lovely people may be able to help with a dilema i find myself in...

About to turn the grand age of 30, wedding and baby on the way, I have decided now is the right time to treat myself to a serious upgade on my university hi-fi system (comprised NAD 320BEE integrated amp and Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 floorstanding speakers). My budget is reasonable (c.GBP 3.5k) and as such i thought the process of upgrading would be relatively straightfoward, but instead I have spent the last couple of weeks getting increasingly confused about the best way forward.

I am looking to buy new speakers, amplifier (TBC pre&power or integrated) and a DAC (do i even need one?!!). Maybe a record player but this could also wait as most of my music comes from a macbook (both spotify and higher quality ripped files, various genres of music)

How would you guys spend the money?

My preliminary thoughts as follows: (i)KEF LS50 mounted speakers (GBP 800); NAD C510 Pre-amp and DAC (GBP 1000); Naim NAP 155 power amp (GBP 1400). Remainder of budget (GBP 300) for wire, speaker stands, interconnectors etc.

I there anything i am overlooking/missing/being stupid about? I am a bit of a newbie to this and trouble is I have no idea if the above system would work well together or even if i am considering the right components (e.g. do i really need a DAC? Should i get an integrated amp?) Note the system will be in my living room which is c.4.5m across and 5.5m long (i.e.not huge hence the mounted speakers).

Would love to hear your thoughts on the best combo possible for the budget. I know that a lot is subjective when it comes to whether a system sounds good or not but ultimately I want just want to create some wow factor and have a noticable upgrade on my current system. Please go easy on technical jargon!

Many thanks in advance!

Oliver

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Oliver Baker said:
Hi all,

About to turn the grand age of 30, wedding and baby on the way, I have decided now is the right time to treat myself to a serious upgade on my university hi-fi system (comprised NAD 320BEE integrated amp and Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 floorstanding speakers). My budget is reasonable (c.GBP 3.5k) and as such i thought the process of upgrading would be relatively straightfoward, but instead I have spent the last couple of weeks getting increasingly confused about the best way forward.

I am looking to buy new speakers, amplifier (TBC pre&power or integrated) and a DAC (do i even need one?!!). Maybe a record player but this could also wait as most of my music comes from a macbook (both spotify and higher quality ripped files, various genres of music)

My preliminary thoughts as follows: (i)KEF LS50 mounted speakers (GBP 800); NAD C510 Pre-amp and DAC (GBP 1000); Naim NAP 155 power amp (GBP 1400). Remainder of budget (GBP 300) for wire, speaker stands, interconnectors etc.

I there anything i am overlooking/missing/being stupid about? I am a bit of a newbie to this and trouble is I have no idea if the above system would work well together or even if i am considering the right components (e.g. do i really need a DAC? Should i get an integrated amp?) Note the system will be in my living room which is c.4.5m across and 5.5m long (i.e.not huge hence the mounted speakers).

Would love to hear your thoughts on the best combo possible for the budget. I know that a lot is subjective when it comes to whether a system sounds good or not but ultimately I want just want to create some wow factor and have a noticable upgrade on my current system. Please go easy on technical jargon!

Many thanks in advance!

Oliver

I would be tempted to put my money into a Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 with that kind of budget. Add the HDMI module and the USB module as required.

tino said:
Oliver Baker said:
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance!

Oliver

I would be tempted to put my money into a Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 with that kind of budget. Add the HDMI module and the USB module as required.

Without going into detail I would forget try to mix and match pre and power amps from different manufacturers.

D

Deleted member 108165

Oliver Baker said:
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance!

Oliver

Ditch the power amp and just go for a decent integrated. If you want to add a turntable at a later date then please note that the NAD has no internal phono stage so you will need to factor in an external stage.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That would almost buy a couple of Phantoms.

Alternatively, you could splash out on a lovely Nord dual-mono Hypex power amplifier and have a lot of cash left over for some tasty speakers, a pre-amp/DAC/Streamer and turntable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW I would spend the money as follows:

Linn Sneaky + Arcam A39 + LS50s.

On the Amp front, you should also hear Hegel H80; Rega Elicit R; Creek Evo 100 A.

If you need more scale, try Kef's R300s

You have got a million and one different options that you could go for.

Probably best to go visit some hifi shops and see and hear at least a few of those options so you can begin the process with an idea of what you want to end up with.

£3.5k Is a decent budget so I have no doubt you will get a very good setup for that money.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
It's looks like you might need the money if your got a baby on the way baby's are very expensive trust me I should know I had to sell my hole Hifi just to get all the baby stuff that you will need when it comes . I've only just got my Hifi back *smile*

Al ears said:
tino said:
Oliver Baker said:
Hi all,

Many thanks in advance!

Oliver

Without going into detail I would forget try to mix and match pre and power amps from different manufacturers.

Thanks, in which case perhaps makes sense to go for an integrated amp?

[/quote]

Ditch the power amp and just go for a decent integrated. If you want to add a turntable at a later date then please note that the NAD has no internal phono stage so you will need to factor in an external stage.

[/quote]

Thanks Doug, any recommendation on an integrated amp?

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I would highly recommend you looking into NVA for both speakers and amplifiers. You could have a very nice NVA set up for your budget. A phono stage could also be added if you decide you want a turntable. As I have said to other people on here I am more than happy to let anyone come and have a listen to my system if they want to hear what NVA is about. Also NVA has a 30 day return policy if you find it doesn't get your feet tapping!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Everyone has a different solution.

I think you have a few fundamental questions to decide before you get on to equipment selection.

Firstly is this going to be a 'once only' solution or do you see it as a basis for change and expansion, ie do you want a system simply to live with and play music or do you see yourself chopping and changing as part of the hi-fi 'fun'?

Secondly, are you comfortable using on line streaming for most of your music? Do you want a 'collection' that you ow, be it vinyl, CD or even downloads, these things are important to some people, not to others.

And thirdly, how do you want to use and control your system, if you are used to simply doing everything from your Macbook, how much do you want to change the way you access your music?

I found myself in a very similar position a year or two back, having disposed of two music collections in the last 15 years, I am totally happy streaming everything, currently from Spotify, though that could change. So I build a setup that allows me to access Spotify Connect, that was the important part, though I use a bit of internet radio and occasionally play the TV through the system. I did that on a budget a fraction of yours, it sounds great, but with your funds I could probably do better.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you've got a rugrat on the way, I would avoid stand mounted speakers unless you're prepared to screw the speakers to the stands and the stands to the floor! The thought of a 20 lb speaker landing on a baby don't bear thinking about.

Just saying...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
If you've got a rugrat on the way, I would avoid stand mounted speakers unless you're prepared to screw the speakers to the stands and the stands to the floor! The thought of a 20 lb speaker landing on a baby don't bear thinking about.

Just saying...

Black-Tak works well, you can't get a speaker off the stand without serious force, weighted (lead) stands I would have thought are little different from floorstanders?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:

Just saying...

Black-Tak works well, you can't get a speaker off the stand without serious force, weighted (lead) stands I would have thought are little different from floorstanders?

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
As always, the best advice is to go and audition because you'll know the right combo when you hear it and so all the advice given should be considered informed starting points only. Also, I agree that standmounts are more of a liability with kids and I think floorstanders would be more suited to your room anyway.

For what it's worth, my starting point, assuming new kit, would be:

High Shelf
Cambridge CXN
Arcam A39
Monitor Audio Silver 8

I would have recommended other speakers but the Silver 8s have the three essential properties in my opinion for your situation: wide plinths for stability, metal grills over the tweeters and metal driver cones with no phase plugs. Nothing is little finger proof but these are about the best you can manage.

My kids are old enough now that it isn't a problem but the amount of lego I removed from our old VCR and the number of times I had to rescue Thomas from the "tunnel", or the subwoofer reflex port as some would refer to it.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
If you wanted to wait a while I would buy from the used market,upgrading one thing at a time and you would get a system for about 10 grand for 3.5 grand used.i have always done that and it's actually more fun.i bought a pair of audio smile speakers that cost 2500 euro new for 350euro.all my other hi fi is about the same mark down.beauty is,if you don't like it sell it on for little loss to yourself.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would ignore pre/powers at this sort of price point - they may offer better flexibility later when upgrading, but not the best value for money right now. If you get a good enough integrated, you may not even feel the need for a pre/power combo.

As your main source will be a Macbook, you'll need a good quality DAC, or an integrated amplifier with a built in DAC. As with all systems, the source is still important (analogue or digital), so it is down to the DAC to do a good job in converting to analogue. The better this is, the better the rest of your system can sound.

At about the same budget as the pre/power you have mentioned, the Classe 2200i integrated amplifier has a cracking DAC onboard, and with 200wpc (into 8ohms) to play with, will allow you to look at any speakers this side of £7/8k in the future, as well as exerting a vice like grip on anything you're likely to partner with it initially. As well as analogue and digital inputs, it also has HDMI inputs allowing the connection of visual sources like Bluray players or games consoles. As you have Apple products, AirPlay is also pesent too, but I'd plug your Macbook in directly via USB to allow the highest quality possible. If you do add a turntable later (either via an offboard phono stage or the optional internal one), the 2200i allows you the option to keep the signal path purely analogue, unlike many other digital based amplifiers on the market.

The 2200i may initally seem a little expensive at £3600, but if you take into account it is a combination of their £3,000 Amp 2 power amplifier and the £4250 SSP pre-amplifier (with anything multi-channel removed), it represents excellent value for money purely down to the sound quality on offer.

Arcam's FMJ SR250 offers similar connectivity, but also adds in DIRAC room EQ, if you're into that sort of thing.

Naim's Uniti2 is a good all in one alternative which will add CD replay should you need it. Apple friendly too.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I personally wouldn't rule out pre/power. If you are happy having multiple boxes then it will ultimately give you the best performance. You may as well get it right the first time! I still think it would be wise to buy an NVA set up then take it along to a few shops to demo it off against whatever they have in stock. If you don't like the NVA you have 30 days to return for a refund.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Muswell Hill a good location. I'm in Friern Barnet - and have had good experiences with Audio-T in Enfield (free parking there, parking at Bartlett not so convenient). All these places mentioned can also organise loan equipment. Also Richer Sounds in Southgate.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Some good comments posted above. Just because you have a max budget of 3.5K you don't have to use all of it in light of your forthcoming personal circumstances. And with a toddler crawling around in your room in the not too distant future, you need to be aware of the practicalities of heavy and expensive equipment in your living room. Have you considered investing in some decent AV furniture that allows you to hide ýour equipment away and/or placeyour speakers on top (without stands)?

PS I really don't get the NVA amplifier thing memtioned in previous posts ... no offence intended, For all their sonic virtues, I think they are very basic, their build quality doesn't seem all that great, they don't have remote control capability AFAIK, and they are highly susceptible to speaker cable impedance and may not suit all speakers types/loads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts