Help! Recommendations for hi-fi overhaul - GBP 3.5k budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
I personally wouldn't rule out pre/power. If you are happy having multiple boxes then it will ultimately give you the best performance. You may as well get it right the first time! I still think it would be wise to buy an NVA set up then take it along to a few shops to demo it off against whatever they have in stock. If you don't like the NVA you have 30 days to return for a refund.
A decent Integrated is virtually a Pre/Power in a one casing....don't underestimate the extra cost of a well made housing...and cabling (if you think it makes a difference).

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
You do have to use NVA speaker cable with NVA amps but it's no hardship as the cables are excellent and also very good value. As far as them being basic well what exactly do you want an amplifier to do??? They do the job of amplification and they do it very well indeed! Build quality is excellent and they look very slick in the flesh. You have to remember that a long time ago NVA amps were also offered as kits and that meant that if a customer had iffy skills and built a bit of a bodge people would still associate it with NVA even though it wasn't a production build. That is no longer the case. If you don't get NVA and want to come and listen to mine then just let me know as I'm happy to put it up against anything.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
As far as them being basic well what exactly do you want an amplifier to do???

Amplify obviously, be remotely controllable, have output protection, preferably have tone controls, digital inputs if poss. So NVA is not my thing unfortunately from a functional and aesthetic point of view.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
In your case NVA may not be the most suitable amps but I think they should be on everyone's radar when looking at amplifiers and speakers. Have an open mind!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
In your case NVA may not be the most suitable amps but I think they should be on everyone's radar when looking at amplifiers and speakers. Have an open mind!

I agree on keeping an open mind, but also worth pointing out they may not be for everyone. And if it looks like something I could make myself then that's probably what I would do ;)

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
As above: auditioning is key.

In your place I would start with what my key requirements are and reason from speakers to amplifier to source. That way you choose what has most influence on the outcome first and then the rest. Its all imo of course and some will argue source is most important, however: hardly anyone will argue that in hifi speakers are usually more expensive than sources.

Following the plan above you're working your way down and listen based on what's left in your budget. You should find a balance that suits you. Bring your own music and have fun!

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Superaintit said:
As above: auditioning is key.

In your place I would start with what my key requirements are and reason from speakers to amplifier to source. That way you choose what has most influence on the outcome first and then the rest. Its all imo of course and some will argue source is most important, however: hardly anyone will argue that in hifi speakers are usually more expensive than sources.

Following the plan above you're working your way down and listen based on what's left in your budget. You should find a balance that suits you. Bring your own music and have fun!

Give Colin from iq speakers a call to listen to some hypex amps. Saying goes its incredible value for money

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Superaintit said:
In your place I would start with what my key requirements are and reason from speakers to amplifier to source. That way you choose what has most influence on the outcome first and then the rest.

I think this is a helpful comment.

The thing that's most difficult to change in a complete system is the room and it's that that influences the sound the most. So if you begin the process by looking at speakers that will suit the room size and placement (i.e. close to the rear wall or a corner?), then look at the amp that will best complement those speakers (in drive (current delivery) and tonal balance) then look at sources that will work best with that amp/speaker combo.

If you do it the other way round (buying speakers that will match the source and amp you already have) you could end up with a system that won't work well in your room.

Some of this process can be done at the same time of course in auditioning, but factoring in the room size, tonal balance (lots of reflective surfaces? A 'hard edged' presentation?) and placement shouldn't be neglected.

rainsoothe

Hi. +1 to auditioning. It was an eye (well... ear, really) opener for me. And also, +1 for not mix-n-matching pre-powers. That Classe thing is sure worth looking into, Classe is a brand I like a lot.

If you find an ex-dem pair or some good deal, you might be able to fit Naim Nac-N172XS + Nap155XS, which imo is a great sounding duo. I don't like the Uniti 2 (it can sound a bit bright with the wrong speakers), but you might, so you could try that. 2 other amps I would look into are Arcam A39 and Hegel H180 (whcih, if I'm not mistaking, can also stream so it will provide a great sounding 1-box sollution).

As for speakers, I would look at ATC SCM11, Focal Aria 906, PMC DB1i - or, for floorstanders, Focal Aria 926, Neat Iota Alpha (or Omega, I forget what they're called lol).

As for speaker cable, I like DNM Reson (which I use), Chord Rumour 2 etc. Atlas Equator are great interconnects.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Oliver Baker said:
All, 

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I made some progress, investing in an Audiolab m-dac+ and will shortly pick up a pair of ATC 19's (I was blown away by how true/transparent these monitors sound). The hunt for a suitable amp continues...

To the light

rainsoothe

Oliver Baker said:
All,

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I made some progress, investing in an Audiolab m-dac+ and will shortly pick up a pair of ATC 19's (I was blown away by how true/transparent these monitors sound). The hunt for a suitable amp continues...

congrats. You need something with juice for the ATC's - I'd look at Arcam A39, Exposure 3010s2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts