The One Best Hi-Fi Thing You've Bought or Changed.

Witterings

Interested to hear about "the one best thing" you've ever bought for your Hi-Fi and has made a massive difference whethere it's a DAC, or upgrading say your Amp or Speakers and if so interesting to hear what you've upgraded from.

It doesn't neccessarily have to be your main system, I recently bought an SMSL AO200 Amp for a Desktop Setup in a room the size of a converted single garage, it's replaces an old Yamaha DSP-A590 I'd been using as a stereo amp and whilst it was done as a space saver it's bought my speakers to life.

Would love to hear what single thing others have done that they feel made a big difference?

Friesiansam

Got to be my Pathos Converto Mk2. When I first bought my Focal Elegias, they sounded great on my Audiolab M-DAC but, when I upgraded to the Pathos, it really brought them to life and, I'm sure it's good enough to do justice to better headphones, if I ever get around to upgrading.

DCarmi

The best things are simple, inexpensive and useful. It isn't strictly audiophile but for easy and effective multi-room listening it would have to the the Chromecast Audio. I bought three at £25 each, or less.

I use them when working or cooking or general household drudgery. Simple click or request to Google Assistant and my music or radio travels to the next room I go to (or in several locations at once).

It' is a great shame Google discontinued them!

Reactions: Witterings
D

Deleted member 160668

The Triangle Speakers I bought this year really took what was already a great sounding setup to another level. Not cheap but worth every penny.
This.

My change to my ART's was pretty magical in my room. I now struggle to see where I could go from here. Super-happy with them.

Also, my house works are nearly done, so my beauties will be out of storage v.soon. oooh exciting 😀.

On a much cheaper vein. Have to agree the CCA mentioned above is absolutely great. A game changer if you've not streamed before and when they were new, peanuts at £30 quid or less. Even now at second hand eBay inflated prices they are a stunning bargain for what they are and do.

To anyone reading this that doesn't have a streamer - that is the cheap rabbit hole to open your eyes and fall into 😉.

Jimbodinho

May 30, 2022
Visit site
Hard to choose one thing as there have been a few big upgrades. Getting Focal Shape 50's as my desk speakers was a huge leap in SQ from my old q acoustic 3020i's. Everyone should get pro monitors as desk speakers!

A-Line

Feb 3, 2022
Visit site
The best all time purchase for me was a Conrad Johnson Classic tube preamp which I currently have.
I struggled with digital because I could never get the sound that I wanted. The CJ Classic preamp was the answer.

I auditioned about 28 different preamps before deciding to purchase this preamp blindly without audition.
Best choice ever. I use this preamp with my McIntosh MC2102 valve amplifier for my digital playback system. Every component in that system uses valves( vacuum tubes) except my McIntosh MCD500 SACD/CD player & Spendor S8e speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarropMV

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
A proper set of speaker stands placed on a good solid grounding really opened my ears to what I had been missing from my speakers.

kramer2020

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
My Yamaha AS-501 which at the time of purchase was a swiss army knife in terms versatility with special mention to its optical input which I use for my TV. Most amps these days offer optical inputs and no doubt better SQ, but I think I'll stick with the Yammy as I like its old school looks.

Reactions: Al ears

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
I follow a gentleman on eBay called the Amp King, he upgrades older hi-fi units. I got a Arcam rBlink bluetooth receiver. I've written about it elsewhere on the Forum. I just use it for AptX connectivity through the Cyrus QXR DAC, it makes even the cr@pest mobile phone, pc, whatever sound good.

I got an upgraded Cambridge CD player from him too which is also excellent and (to me) sounds better than the standard unit. Well worth seeking him out, especially if you want to put together an second system, or even your first.

Gray

My Wharfedale 12.3 speakers they are just brilliant for the money ! replaced my old Kef Q5s .
A mate just got a light oak pair for £450.
He speaks highly of them (from a Sony 561E CDP / Marantz PM44SE).

Good reviews too, not least WHF and especially Hi-fi Choice.
Must qualify as a bargain (especially for a floorstander)👍

Reactions: hifi

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts