Ortofon m2 black sibilance cartridge or stylus? or something else

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Excel Sound is a hi fi store in Orange County that imports Hana. They have nothing to do with Sumiko. There are scores of small artisan cartridge manufacturers in Japan. Small workshops with just one or two dozen skilled technicians assembling bespoke designs by hand.
Excel Sound is a Japanese company which make Hana cartridges, check it out yourself.
Lots of buzz on the net regarding similarities of the generator used in Sumiko, Benz, and Hana cartridges. Again check it out for yourself. Wouldn't be the first time differently badged carts are the same under the skin, AT origins can be found in countless other branded cartridges.

Reactions: speedthing

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Excel Sound is a Japanese company which make Hana cartridges, check it out yourself.
Lots of buzz on the net regarding similarities of the generator used in Sumiko, Benz, and Hana cartridges. Again check it out for yourself. Wouldn't be the first time differently badged carts are the same under the skin, AT origins can be found in countless other branded cartridges.
Apologies, you are correct! However Excel don't appear to have anything to do with Sumiko.
I'm sure that there is a lot of 'badge engineering' that goes on in hi-fi just as it does in other industries (like automobiles for example).
Underneath it all cartridges are all pretty much the same anyway, there's a stylus/shank, a magnet and some coils.

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Ok slight update on a side note so ive got the new cartridge but im not able to fit it as im waiting on a few things in the post so i have had a fiddle about. I popped that old Rega Mira 2 amp that i had kicking about back in the system and gave those same records a listen. I can still hear the sibilance its a bit better but its still there im thinking this is because the new amp is better ie pulls more detail out of the record or a different soundstage to the old Rega.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Ok slight update on a side note so ive got the new cartridge but im not able to fit it as im waiting on a few things in the post so i have had a fiddle about. I popped that old Rega Mira 2 amp that i had kicking about back in the system and gave those same records a listen. I can still hear the sibilance its a bit better but its still there im thinking this is because the new amp is better ie pulls more detail out of the record or a different soundstage to the old Rega.
I'm sorry to hear of your woes. As music lovers we really just want to sit back and enjoy the music.
You could be correct or the records may just have sibilance baked into them by now.
Perhaps take a few records to Audio T and see how they sound on their gear?
You could even take the TT in and have them check it over? (I see that they reimburse parking)!

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear of your woes. As music lovers we really just want to sit back and enjoy the music.
You could be correct or the records may just have sibilance baked into them by now.
Perhaps take a few records to Audio T and see how they sound on their gear?
You could even take the TT in and have them check it over? (I see that they reimburse parking)!
Yes I think its a possibility that some of my vinyl may well have sibilance the experiment with the other amplifier points to it being stylus or an issue with some of the vinyl I have. hopefully I can get the new cartridge fitted this week and ill let you guys know what I find.

Reactions: DougK1

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Ok managed to get the new cartridge fitted today wow man what a difference my vinyl actually sounds really good the Led zeppelin 2 hot mix sounds top notch the Highs have been calmed down the ssssssss has pretty much all gone ;-). I will test more at the weekend and recheck the cartridge again. The sound is nice and clear the bass is defined and punchy im happy again YAY.

Reactions: nopiano and DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts