What products you would love What HiFi to review? Some suggestions?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I think WHF for many is their only port of call and this includes other stables, HIFI CHOICE, HIFINEWS and et'al, these portals give a certain accreditations.
My criticism of WHF and many others like it, they keep chewing the same patch of grass and there are many open fields out there.
Speaking of which, I originally wanted to purchase the EverSolo DMP-A6 but on the back of very positive reviews on the tube, people just gone nuts and most of the sellers I tried had sold out!
So I decided on stand a lone DAC and a separate digital transport/streamer.
All good, the EverSolo DAC Z8 and JF MX Pro combination is delightful 😊

Ps. Jitter Bug, wake me up before you go Solo...... (RIP George)
Like I said, they're all going nuts over this DAC Streamer!

View attachment 5113
I wonder if the Master Version is worth the extra Wonga?......Hans sends me to sleep...bless him :)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYGZmzF_aZA

podknocker

I wonder if the Master Version is worth the extra Wonga?......Hans sends me to sleep...bless him :)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYGZmzF_aZA
If I was looking for a streaming DAC then I'd be looking at the EverSolo DMP-A6 Master Edition. Looks really capable. Stick a pair of actives on the end of it and you have nice simple minimalist setup. It's a pity the company doesn't offer a powerful Class D amp to go with it.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
If I was looking for a streaming DAC then I'd be looking at the EverSolo DMP-A6 Master Edition. Looks really capable. Stick a pair of actives on the end of it and you have nice simple minimalist setup. It's a pity the company doesn't offer a powerful Class D amp to go with it.
Absolutely some quality active speakers is all you need for the perfect minimalist setup! 👍

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
You may be right but normally, as I said, items are treated as individual entitities and slotted into the reviewers reference set-up.
You are unlikely to see a full system review as the reviewer then has no baseline to start from.
I seem to remember in the late teens early twenties they did "system" reviews CDP & Amp with speakers suggested by the electronics company, as group tests

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

I seem to remember in the late teens early twenties they did "system" reviews CDP & Amp with speakers suggested by the electronics company, as group tests
Yes I do recall this, possibly 30 years ago?
It was my favourite feature.
They would set up, identical systems, same speakers, same source, but the amps would be different, i.e. Rotel v NAD v Cyrus v NAIT or same theme but different speakers or different turntables, cd player's etc.
The change of ownership from Haymarket to Future publications has steered them in a different direction, not necessarily for better.
I can't think of an acronym BUT Lets Make WHF Great Again!
Do they listen, not sure 🙄

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Ultimately there isn’t many staff memebers these days and times have changed. Consumers Digest media via video formats that stay ever green and easily searched for. Publications such as what hifi need get with it. These YouTubers, are just using their phones, GoPros strapped to their heads and so on, the production quality hasn’t got to be massive. I mean even if they just read out these articles with associated b roll. Or they can go the darko/ Andrew Robinson route and put more effort in. Ultimately they need to get with it and try harder if they do this WHF will become relevant again and will engaging again. They can setup patreon pages where people sign up for a monthly fee and the patrons get more things like measurements of products room set up advice and all that jazz.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Ultimately there isn’t many staff memebers these days and times have changed. Consumers Digest media via video formats that stay ever green and easily searched for. Publications such as what hifi need get with it. These YouTubers, are just using their phones, GoPros strapped to their heads and so on, the production quality hasn’t got to be massive. I mean even if they just read out these articles with associated b roll. Or they can go the darko/ Andrew Robinson route and put more effort in. Ultimately they need to get with it and try harder if they do this WHF will become relevant again and will engaging again. They can setup patreon pages where people sign up for a monthly fee and the patrons get more things like measurements of products room set up advice and all that jazz.
I concur 100%

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
There are many products that don't seem to make it on the pages of What HiFi and it would be absolutely fabulously if these had proper reviews, potential buyers can then weigh up the not so well brands against the established names.
I would like to hear your suggestions, here's mine.

Hegel
Eversolo
Topping
SMSL
Fossi
Adam
Mogami
Belden
HiFiMAN

Ps. I should have started this instead of the dreaded cable thread that only succeeded in drawing a big divide. HIFi is a passion we all love, let's remember that :)
It's a nice idea, providing WhatHiFi with a list of things they should review.
But in an almost completely opposite way, perhaps we should start with a list of things that WhatHiFi should NOT review.
Televisions, for a start. Many of them come with a pretty average sound system which anyone who really wants decent sound will ignore and use a digital output to something a bit better.
Phones. WhatHiFi even reviews phones which have no off SoC DAC and no headphone socket.
If they used the time wasted on these nonsense articles writing about items on your list then we might have a true hifi publication.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
It's a nice idea, providing WhatHiFi with a list of things they should review.
But in an almost completely opposite way, perhaps we should start with a list of things that WhatHiFi should NOT review.
Televisions, for a start. Many of them come with a pretty average sound system which anyone who really wants decent sound will ignore and use a digital output to something a bit better.
Phones. WhatHiFi even reviews phones which have no off SoC DAC and no headphone socket.
If they used the time wasted on these nonsense articles writing about items on your list then we might have a true hifi publication.

Yeah I think you make a valid point, I do think it should be split into two or three different magazines

1 What HiFi
2 What TV & Video
3 What Apple Mobile Phone :)

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
A comparison of the different power supplies for Naim.
Teddy Pardo
Avondale
CHC
MCRU
etc.
Hang on, you won't because Naim has a magikal high advertising budget with What HiFi? Naim also state that if you use a non-Naim power supply with their gear, it voids the warranty.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
A comparison of the different power supplies for Naim.
Teddy Pardo
Avondale
CHC
MCRU
etc.
Hang on, you won't because Naim has a magikal high advertising budget with What HiFi? Naim also state that if you use a non-Naim power supply with their gear, it voids the warranty.
You would have thought there would be some sort of contractual arrangements between third parties and NAIM which would be mutually beneficial.
That's a real shame, it seems this option is only viable when the warranty has expired.
Hmmm greedy NAIM.

Dom

You would have thought there would be some sort of contractual arrangements between third parties and NAIM which would be mutually beneficial.
That's a real shame, it seems this option is only viable when the warranty has expired.
Hmmm greedy NAIM.
I was this close to buying a Naim Supernait 3, but there just too dam expensive. So I told the seller I couldn't do it.

In hindsight I'm glad I didn't because while good amplifiers they are I don't think there worth it. Greedy Naim, indeed.

I was this close to buying a Naim Supernait 3, but there just too dam expensive. So I told the seller I couldn't do it.

In hindsight I'm glad I didn't because while good amplifiers they are I don't think there worth it. Greedy Naim, indeed.
They, like all manufacturers, price their equipment by whatever they think they can sell it for and unfortunately they appear to be right.

TRENDING THREADS