What products you would love What HiFi to review? Some suggestions?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
There are many products that don't seem to make it on the pages of What HiFi and it would be absolutely fabulously if these had proper reviews, potential buyers can then weigh up the not so well brands against the established names.
I would like to hear your suggestions, here's mine.

Hegel
Eversolo
Topping
SMSL
Fossi
Adam
Mogami
Belden
HiFiMAN

Ps. I should have started this instead of the dreaded cable thread that only succeeded in drawing a big divide. HIFi is a passion we all love, let's remember that :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuart.W.D

doifeellucky

I’d imagine all of those listed by the OP, there are many others I could add, probably feel that a favourable WHF review ultimately offers no significant benefit to them, or are not prepared to do whatever is required to achieve that.

I used to think (assumed) WHF, back in the 80’s and 90’s, was a group of well regarded ‘experts’ and every single product that appeared in the magazine went through this very detailed and rigorous process that determined the score.

However based on certain brands seemingly always getting five stars and being frequent award winners (this has been discussed here and elsewhere many times), when many other publications have since regarded them as fairly average performers (in some cases quite bad) to most people, and have suggested many better alternatives (many from the OP list), I think the overall credibility of WHF has suffered. Particularly as some of the recent WHF staff (the twirler) have very questionable journalistic histories.

I think that unfortunately WHF is mostly irrelevant these days to the wider Hi-Fi industry, and would need to significantly up their game to become relevant again. But the fact that Haymarket dropped them a few years is probably an indication that isn’t likely to happen.

I still use WHF, as with any other review, to draw up a short list, but that’s about it.

daytona600

Hegel
Eversolo
Topping
SMSL
Fossi
Adam
Mogami
Belden
HiFiMAN

Adam Supply pro market in high volumes globally & made one of the best speakers ever
Adam OSS ( Audio Olympus Sound System )
Mogami & Belden too cheap for the hifi market only bought by the pro market in millions of metres

Reviews are for guidance only , Trust your own judgement and ears
If i doubt visit a dealer or buy blind

“There are two kinds of reviewers : those who don’t know, and those who don’t know they don’t know.”

oss-show.jpg

Reactions: Jasonovich
D

Deleted member 201267

There are many products that don't seem to make it on the pages of What HiFi and it would be absolutely fabulously if these had proper reviews, potential buyers can then weigh up the not so well brands against the established names.
I would like to hear your suggestions, here's mine.

Hegel
Eversolo
Topping
SMSL
Fossi
Adam
Mogami
Belden
HiFiMAN
ATC Actives and Nordost ODIN gold cables...

doifeellucky

Bravo.

If a company doesn't send a product WHF will not go and and chase them.

Gone are the days when they used to, on a few rare occasions, either buy a product or blag one from a local dealer.
They recently reviewed ‘the best selling amp’ on Amazon, just to criticise it and then suggest alternatives that they obviously endorse. It’s a shame they didn’t do a tiny bit of research and instead get something like the Fosi V3, which has been generally well reviewed, and do a more worthwhile comparison. Clearly pandering to advertisers.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I’d imagine all of those listed by the OP, there are many others I could add, probably feel that a favourable WHF review ultimately offers no significant benefit to them, or are not prepared to do whatever is required to achieve that.

I used to think (assumed) WHF, back in the 80’s and 90’s, was a group of well regarded ‘experts’ and every single product that appeared in the magazine went through this very detailed and rigorous process that determined the score.

However based on certain brands seemingly always getting five stars and being frequent award winners (this has been discussed here and elsewhere many times), when many other publications have since regarded them as fairly average performers (in some cases quite bad) to most people, and have suggested many better alternatives (many from the OP list), I think the overall credibility of WHF has suffered. Particularly as some of the recent WHF staff (the twirler) have very questionable journalistic histories.

I think that unfortunately WHF is mostly irrelevant these days to the wider Hi-Fi industry, and would need to significantly up their game to become relevant again. But the fact that Haymarket dropped them a few years is probably an indication that isn’t likely to happen.

I still use WHF, as with any other review, to draw up a short list, but that’s about it.
This is exactly what I was trying to fish out and you have homed in on my own personal thoughts that something is possible, likely, or true. However, this wasn't intended to point the finger at the smoking gun but rather, an opportunity for What HiFi to reflect and to restore the credibility they once had in the 70s and 80s.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Hegel
Eversolo
Topping
SMSL
Fossi
Adam
Mogami
Belden
HiFiMAN

Adam Supply pro market in high volumes globally & made one of the best speakers ever
Adam OSS ( Audio Olympus Sound System )
Mogami & Belden too cheap for the hifi market only bought by the pro market in millions of metres

Reviews are for guidance only , Trust your own judgement and ears
If i doubt visit a dealer or buy blind

“There are two kinds of reviewers : those who don’t know, and those who don’t know they don’t know.”

View attachment 5050
Oh my giddy aunt! I have not heard of the Adams OSS until now. Oh my gosh, look how they separated the subwoofers, the mid range and ribbon tweeters. I assume the tweeters are X-art or something better.
I mean, where do you put these mothers, not good if you're sharing your mums council flat
1691935950518.png
These are a bit more practical :)

Friesiansam

This is exactly what I was trying to fish out and you have homed in on my own personal thoughts that something is possible, likely, or true. However, this wasn't intended to point the finger at the smoking gun but rather, an opportunity for What HiFi to reflect and to restore the credibility they once had in the 70s and 80s.
Much of what is seen to be wrong with WHF today, is common to other publications, that have been taken over by Future Publishing Limited (FPL). Can't see any realistic chance of improvement. FPL apply their house style to everything, including their liking for clickbait articles.

EDIT: I mainly come here for the forum, rather than the editorial content.

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Within the next 18 months, I would like to see a list of these amplifiers in the What Hi Fi testing room. ⤵️

Exposure 3510
The Hegel H120 and Hegel H190
Musical Fidelity M6si

Two Dacs that would be worth a review.
Denafrips Ares II
EverSolo's DAC-Z8

CD players still have a lot of life in them, so What Hi Fi definitely needs more CD players in for for testing.

Marantz CD60
Audiolab 7000 CDT
Schiit’s Urd
Hegel Viking Reference CD PLAYER

Within the next 18 months, I would like to see a list of these amplifiers in the What Hi Fi testing room. ⤵️

Exposure 3510
The Hegel H120 and Hegel H190
Musical Fidelity M6si

Two Dacs that would be worth a review.
Denafrips Ares II
EverSolo's DAC-Z8

CD players still have a lot of life in them, so What Hi Fi definitely needs more CD players in for for testing.

Marantz CD60
Audiolab 7000 CDT
Schiit’s Urd
Hegel Viking Reference CD PLAYER
why would you particularly want WHF to review them when most have been reviewed online and in other publications?

Gray

Hi-fi Choice was the really worthwhile printed publication back when they used to do blind group test reviews.
Even now that they don't, it's still better than WHF when it comes to hi-fi.
(And if you want some amusement, their 2 page reviews of cables and accessories should make you smile - if only with bemusement).

WHF magazine was good for a while from 1976.

Their 5-star reviews are still highly influential and a Godsend for retailers.

I wouldn't mind if WHF covered more of the likes of Topping and SMSL.
And would be happy for them never to mention another cable......neither is likely to happen.

Hi-fi Choice was the really worthwhile printed publication back when they used to do blind group test reviews.
Even now that they don't, it's still better than WHF when it comes to hi-fi.
(And if you want some amusement, their 2 page reviews of cables and accessories should make you smile - if only with bemusement).

WHF magazine was good for a while from 1976.

Their 5-star reviews are still highly influential and a Godsend for retailers.

I wouldn't mind if WHF covered more of the likes of Topping and SMSL.
And would be happy for them never to mention another cable......neither is likely to happen.
As i said previously it is down to the likes of these Chinese manufacturers to send stuff around for review purposes.
That said the whole idea becomes pointless if they also review cables and you are a non believer.
Why would you then believe their reviews of any other piece of equipment?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts