What products you would love What HiFi to review? Some suggestions?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
In their defence, I recently replaced the screen on my Naim Uniti and managed to damage one of the 28 way ribbon cables. I emailed Naim to see if I could buy a replacement. They sent me one free of charge and added in a blazer badge as well.
Good they replaced it free of charge, perhaps they are realising customer loyalty is everything in business. They were never always so benevolent.

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Naim is not the same company since they merged with Focal, which made some people quite a bit of money with that transaction.

I wonder if "employee owned" Richer Sounds will remain just that when Mr. Richer passes away? These "employees" could become quite rich when they sell the company to venture capitalists.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I was on the Focal website checking out the Focal Sub One and I couldn't understand why they were promoting Naim products. I thought they were mighty generous with competitors products.
Thank you for the tidbit, now I know!

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Can WHF review the Hegel Viking CD player, through a Hegel H590 amplifier? Thanks!!!
That would be absolutely grand if they did.
I've ceated a new word, it's geoaudiolitical, some products don't get mentioned because WHF is stuck in a vacuum, it prefers to wear the same suit because it's a tried and tested formula.
All our suggestions on this thread, I hope it is reflective of the wider readership and this becomes the impetus for change 😊

podknocker

My only real gripe with WHF is the reference system, Yes, I know there needs to be a baseline, in order to test individual components, to see what they are capable of, but nobody owns a £50k+ system and if they do, they probably don't get their advice from this site.

If you are reviewing a Marantz CD6007 then listen to it through a Marantz PM6007 because that's what people will buy. I'm not going to buy a BluSound node and see what it sounds like through a Burmester 218 amp, for example.

Marantz CD6007 and PM6007

Cyrus Stream XR and i9 XR

Hegel Viking and H590

This is what people buy, so they need to know how it sounds before a purchase.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
My only real gripe with WHF is the reference system, Yes, I know there needs to be a baseline, in order to test individual components, to see what they are capable of, but nobody owns a £50k+ system and if they do, they probably don't get their advice from this site.

If you are reviewing a Marantz CD6007 then listen to it through a Marantz PM6007 because that's what people wil buy. I'm not going to buy a BluSound node and see what it sounds like through a Burmester 218 amp, for example.

Marantz CD6007 and PM6007

Cyrus Stream XR and i9 XR

Hegel Viking and H590

This is what people buy, so they need to know how it sounds before a purchase.
Yes absolutely, it makes perfect sense.
WHF not very good at managing ones expectations.

DCarmi

Ones expectations are exactly that. Unless manufacturers send in equipment for review then they are unlikely to be reviewed, simple as.
Except...
Unless the reviewer builds a reputation for such reviews, they won't get sent similar equipment.

Also, I get annoyed with the type of article which says something like "Best amp for every budget". I don't really care about every budget, I care about mine. So I want comparative reviews of similar product e.g. Amplifiers under £500, £500-1000, £1000-2000 etc.

It's what gets asked a lot on this forum!

So, around the £1k bracket WHF think the CXA81 is the best amp. Lovely review, all pros no cons. Except I play vinyl and it has no phono stage. You don't pick that fact up until half way down the review. For me that would definitely be a con! (I know you can buy separate preamps but that's not the point.)

Regardless what you might think of sites like RTINGs, it is handy to compare their reviews/specs of products and see at a glance the features, price and date at review and review outcome. So, if WHF have reviewed a product make it easy to find. Give me the facts and figures and an idea of what the reviewer thought. Even old stuff because people will buy second hand or want to upgrade to something better.

Do a search for "NAD amplifer" and the second most relevant entry is an £8k Lyngdorf!

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
You know I love the EverSolo DMP-A6 and now I hear, you can purchase a custom linear power supply to replace the stock PSU.
I'm waiting for the reviews of the modified DMP-A6 to trickle through on other portals.
I'm starting to gather some mild optimism that WHF will at some point get around reviewing the DMP-A6.
I say this on back of the positive WiiM Pro Plus review, finally WHF breaks its duck. So anything is possible.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
@podknocker

Yes I believe it works for both Master and Standard. I always assumed it was fitted with a linear and not switched PSU.
Looks a doddle, no soldering, unscrew a few screws, screw back on and attach the supplied silver ribbon cable back into the socket. This does void your warranty. I think it's priced approx. £250 - check out YT below:)

My Eversolo Z-8 DAC comes with a linear PSU but don't think it's as good as the customised DMP-A6 module - looks really beefy. Still, it's weird why this was never included in the DMP-A6, cost cutting perhaps?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJySteQoJqE

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KXfYbpv4E

Last edited:
Reactions: jjbomber

podknocker

There does seem to be an interest in modding. PSUs on this and the op amps on the Fosi Audio V3

I think upgrading a DAC chip or type of capacitor is a great idea and similar to swapping out tubes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts