What products you would love What HiFi to review? Some suggestions?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Friesiansam

I read this and genuinely laughed out loud.

'Buy this expensive bit of wood, to make your DAC sound better' etc.

You are correct, it is guff and there's no scientific evidence to 'support' these misleading claims.
It's claimed that everything sounds better, if it is on a solid, low resonance stand.

I DO NOT believe that, if I stood my DAC/headphone amp on a heavy lump of oak, supported on flash, expensive isolation feet, it would sound noticeably better than with it just sitting on my desk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and Jasonovich

podknocker

It's claimed that everything sounds better, if it is on a solid, low resonance stand.

I DO NOT believe that, if I stood my DAC/headphone amp on a heavy lump of oak, supported on flash, expensive isolation feet, it would sound noticeably better than with it just siting on my desk.
Indeed, it is scientifically and physically impossible for pricey, polished furniture to affect the sound.

People need to sit back and just think for a while and not get caught up in this nonsense.

How could a material like wood, make a difference to the sound of a silicon chip, buried inside a metal box?

There's no magical force permeating this material, influencing the electronics above.

I suppose if you cannot rationally work this out, you will be susceptible to believing anything.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
There does seem to be an interest in modding. PSUs on this and the op amps on the Fosi Audio V3

I think upgrading a DAC chip or type of capacitor is a great idea and similar to swapping out tubes.
I am a modder at heart, I love to customised everything. Any person that put's faeries in their PC case (that's me!) needs serious help :)

Yeah I need to know, more about the mod amps, something for me to look into. I did order an orange volume knob, AliExpress was selling it for £6 (free delivery), everyone else £11-£12. It would be nice if Fossi had other colours or Titanium / Chrome volume knob, now that would be something :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230810_115222.jpg
    IMG_20230810_115222.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 3

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

I DO NOT believe that, if I stood my DAC/headphone amp on a heavy lump of oak, supported on flash, expensive isolation feet, it would sound noticeably better than with it just siting on my desk.
I think it's more about the aesthetics, you want your kit to be well supported and something that adds to the visual quality. That's why I prefer the DIY option or buy the same which isn't meant for HiFi but sold at a sensible price.

There's absolutely no value when people make these claims and this is cable guy speaking! They create the myth and that somehow gives credence to charging people insane prices.

D

Deleted member 201267

I think it's more about the aesthetics, you want your kit to be well supported and something that adds to the visual quality. That's why I prefer the DIY option or buy the same which isn't meant for HiFi but sold at a sensible price.

There's absolutely no value when people make these claims and this is cable guy speaking! They create the myth and that somehow gives credence to charging people insane prices.
AVE IT !

Reactions: Jasonovich

podknocker

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
AVE IT !
Looks a bit like my door mat. Funny every time I stand on it, I feel it does something to my equilibrium. I call out my missues and it's like I have marbles in my mouth, she would say oh look at you, you sound just like his majesty the king.
I step off the mat and my voice goes back to Michael Caine. You're not suppose to blow the bl**dy doors off.
How odd? 😂

D

Deleted member 201267

Four grand for a plastic board?

Still cheaper than the fabled £4,200 fuse...
£8000...

Reactions: Friesiansam

Friesiansam

£8000...
I'd forgotten about that fuse. Quantum Science Audio's "research", must have no more basis in real science, than believing in fairies at the bottom of the garden does...

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Aren't these the ones with more casework than contents? :)
Yeah you're probably right.
It lost its independence in 2017, I believe it is owned by Harmon, which is a subsidiary of Samsung, it's not really the same Arcam as I remembered it.
I was anxious about the sound, how much of the sinews are still tied to the old sound but I suspect it'll be 2 dimensional like much of the Harmon sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts