What products you would love What HiFi to review? Some suggestions?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

You certainly like your 'modern-looking' stuff pod.
No way could I sit looking at those..... especially in lime green.

Sort yourself out boy 🤨
Maybe I shouldn't have been so hasty.
Had another look....and the 'seawater blue' is quite smart 🤔

The swept back look (and their stands) will put some off.....but I've got PMC so that doesn't bother me.

Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

I'm not a real fan of sloping cabinets either and I don't think it helps with timing or dispersion.

These AMEA speakers get away with the sloping I think and they do look very futuristic and purposeful.

The Focal Sopra 2 in a bright colour would be my dream speaker, in the right surroundings obviously.

With modern materials and manufacturing methods, you can also have a bit of colour and fun with speakers, but still have a great sound.

I couldn't live with the retro looking Tannoys, or Wharfedales and I don't understand the fascination with speakers that look like those from the 60s

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

The_Lecht_Rocks

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
If and when the Cyrus Stream does get a review, it would make sense to use a Cyrus amp and a speaker worthy of the amp. Let's have a 'system review of the week' section. Let's start with my dream setup. I'll let you choose the cables!
I had the good fortune this morning to listen to the Stream XR via the I9 XR hooked to the PSU XR playing through Paradigm Founder 80F............
Let's put it this way, I'm going back on Friday to fully demo and compare, HEGEL H390, etc......
Absolutely sublime, amazing soundstage and phenomenal grip....
I'm blown away.......

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Putting it like that is rather like saying, this car comes ready to drive with everything included, you just need to add wheels and tyres...
If you're going to use an analogy to home in your point, I would phrase it in another way, because no dealership sells cars without wheels and tyres :)

Putting it like that is rather like saying, this car comes ready to drive with everything included, you just need a driver to make it work.

Oxfordian

If you're going to use an analogy to home in your point, I would phrase it in another way, because no dealership sells cars without wheels and tyres :)
When I left school I worked in a British Leyland dealership, the quality of cars being delivered was atrocious, different coloured doors, seats missing, even ones minus engines and gear boxes, I think that the only thing that saved the cars from not having wheels and tyres was that they had to be driven or winched onto the transporter.

Oh and we did have one turn up with miss matched wheels.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
When I left school I worked in a British Leyland dealership, the quality of cars being delivered was atrocious, different coloured doors, seats missing, even ones minus engines and gear boxes, I think that the only thing that saved the cars from not having wheels and tyres was that they had to be driven or winched onto the transporter.

Oh and we did have one turn up with miss matched wheels.
That's crazy scary. Not surprising why my uncles brand new Morris 1100 broke down in the first week.
Thank God British HiFi is not like our car industry 🙏😊

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

That's crazy scary. Not surprising why my uncles brand new Morris 1100 broke down in the first week.
Thank God British HiFi is not like our car industry 🙏😊
Breaking down in the first week wasn't unusual, we had some that didn't make it beyond the first day.

Thankfully HiFi of that era was much better, imagine getting that Amp home from the store, opening the box only to find that all you had was an empty case.

:eek:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I'm absolutely warming to this new Yamaha Receiver DAC Streamer. It's everything out of the box, all you need is speakers and some cables.
WHF please look into this....:)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzeNBHO_2mY
I know I have the rs202 the cheaper one and it blew me away the sound quality.
Use it often, it's a happy little thing 😀.
The 100w per channel is a little bit over confident but it is plenty loud.

Digital radio, Bluetooth and a decent amp to boot 249.99 at richer sounds.
It reviewed well and caught my eye.
The Bluetooth is also surprisingly good.

Breaking down in the first week wasn't unusual, we had some that didn't make it beyond the first day.

Thankfully HiFi of that era was much better, imagine getting that Amp home from the store, opening the box only to find that all you had was an empty case.

:eek:
In the 1970s the British Hifi I used to see at the shop I worked in part-time was the least reliable stuff there. Armstrong was probably the worst, which might explain why it disappeared. Ditto Goodmans.

Leak, by then under Rank ownership, had a few dodgy moments. And dear old Quad wasn’t immune; in fact the shop manager always tested the 33/303 before they left the shop as they quite often blew a component on first use. After fixing they were generally ok.

Similar items from Trio, Sansui, Akai, JVC and Hitachi almost never went wrong. All made in Japan, rather like the first Nissan/Datsun cars that showed the British car industry what it should have been doing all along!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts