Question What would your "imaginary amp" need?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
D

Deleted member 201267

God...yeah, I just had a look on line at some ATC gear. That looks top class and......a little bit out of my price range. Just a bit🤣 I'll watch those videos.
ATC are expensive, yes, but are made in England and are proper high quality products.

Here is another video featuring the actual models i would purchase after a small lottery win :-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TObCGUlmeWU

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
My ideal transistor amp would be non-switching - like my little Sugden A21a - but bigger and not integrated - I prefer total discrete monoblocks - so 6 needed for my pair of 3-way dipoles which have 3 pairs of binding posts each with an outboard crossover.

I like chunky amps like Krells, Pass Labs, Mark Levinson, Karan Acoustics, Vincent, Accuphase , Luxman, Nakamichi - My Gryphon Diablo 300 I gave to my brother was gorgeous - it was a party animal but could be delicate and subtle.

So I like big discrete toroidal transformers, big but fast capacitors, star - earthing, 90 degree phase shifts, fast rise times, high slew rate, high damping factor, 10 db of headroom.
I like amps that can do under 1 ohm output - but not many can.
I`ve had 20 watt amps that could do over 200 watts for 50 microseconds.
I like a lot of real power going to the speakers - 20 -50 amps is nice, 100 amps is better like my old Musical Fidelity A370.
Most 1000 watt AVR`s are less than 20 amps - toytown.

I love battery preamps and monoblock valve preamps because there`s less compromises.
I`m looking at Chinese bespoke high-end esoteric genuine class "A" transistor and Valve amps now - Why ? because every switching amp I`ve had heard including £20000.00 ones sound slow to me - I`m a tenor sax player.
I like speaker and amps that can turn on and off very quickly - in other words transients with alacrity - like my Danley DTS-10 horn sub which is very naughty.
My five foot wide subwoofer can do 15Hz - 70Hz at well over 127 db - continuously and cleanly - it peaks at 133 db - it`s not like a $3000 domestic SVS or my tiny 100 litre BK Monolith + FF which is more than five times smaller and less than a third of the weight.

I don`t mind if the extreme bass and treble is imperfect as long as the midrange is holographic.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
My ideal transistor amp would be non-switching - like my little Sugden A21a - but bigger and not integrated - I prefer total discrete monoblocks - so 6 needed for my pair of 3-way dipoles which have 3 pairs of binding posts each with an outboard crossover.

I like chunky amps like Krells, Pass Labs, Mark Levinson, Karan Acoustics, Vincent, Accuphase , Luxman, Nakamichi - My Gryphon Diablo 300 I gave to my brother was gorgeous - it was a party animal but could be delicate and subtle.

So I like big discrete toroidal transformers, big but fast capacitors, star - earthing, 90 degree phase shifts, fast rise times, high slew rate, high damping factor, 10 db of headroom.
I like amps that can do under 1 ohm output - but not many can.
I`ve had 20 watt amps that could do over 200 watts for 50 microseconds.
I like a lot of real power going to the speakers - 20 -50 amps is nice, 100 amps is better like my old Musical Fidelity A370.
Most 1000 watt AVR`s are less than 20 amps - toytown.

I love battery preamps and monoblock valve preamps because there`s less compromises.
I`m looking at Chinese bespoke high-end esoteric genuine class "A" transistor and Valve amps now - Why ? because every switching amp I`ve had heard including £20000.00 ones sound slow to me - I`m a tenor sax player.
I like speaker and amps that can turn on and off very quickly - in other words transients with alacrity - like my Danley DTS-10 horn sub which is very naughty.

I don`t mind if the extreme bass and treble is imperfect as long as the midrange is holographic.
Wow!!!

D

Deleted member 201267

One more question. How do you get your signal from your source, say a CD player to the active speaker?
If you have active / powered speakers with a volume control included you can just plug your CD player into the back via the standard rca sockets.

The ATC products i mentioned however would need a pre-amp between CD player and speakers, or, one of these excellent devices to keep it all ATC :-

Reactions: nopiano

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
If you have active / powered speakers with a volume control included you can just plug your CD player into the back via the standard rca sockets.

The ATC products i mentioned however would need a pre-amp between CD player and speakers, or, one of these excellent devices to keep it all ATC :-

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Personally, I'd expect their products to sound better than they look.
(And sound should be the priority for hi-fi)
When I said "looks like", I wasn't refering to what it looks like, I meant it seems as though it probably is fantastic gear and probably sounds fantastic. Of course we all like our gear's looks to be pleasing to us, but the sound is probably the better priority. If we can afford it that is. I can't 😂

Reactions: Gray

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site

I`ve had ATC SCM-300 actives and Acoustic Energy AE-4 - both mega accurate clean, fun boxes.

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
My sub is not really meant for a 3-bedroom terraced house at all - haha!
Because a horn sub is so efficient - 100db per watt - 2000 watts makes it really sing.
I`ve not currently got it set up upstairs because I`m redecorating upstairs and there`s no room downstairs for anything really.Should be done by autumn hopefully.

Specs from Danley.

"

Operating Frequency Range . .................................................... 15 Hz - 70 Hz -3 dB

. ................................................................................................................. 12 Hz -10dB
Sensitivity @ 1M . .............................................................. 100 dBSPL (15 Hz - 70Hz)

. ........................................................................ (Referenced to 2.83V @1M ½ space)
Maximum Output . .................................................. ... 127 dBSPL/133 dBSPL Peak

Input Power Ratings . .............................. 1000 W continuous, 2000 W program
Nominal Impedance . .......................................................................................... 4 ohms
Minimum Impedance . ................................................................... 2.6 ohms @ 31 Hz
Recommended Processing. ............................... 10 Hz HP @ 24 dB/Butterworth

Drivers . ............................................................................... LF 2 x 12” Long excursion
Input Connections . .......................................................................................... 2-NL4MP

Enclosure Material . ........................ 13ply, 18mm Baltic Birch, polyurea coated

"
It is a five foot wide 528 litre cabinet and weighs over 150 KG.You only need one subwoofer.

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I knew what you meant John....after all, I came up with the thread title,
'Looks like a nice sound' 🤪
Of course, sorry I'm an expert at misconstruing people. But goodness me isn't it pricey. I suppose because it's made here in Blighty then with costs as they are as opposed to say China then one must pay. I bet the quality of design, construction, components etc is very good indeed. ✌🏻

Reactions: Gray

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Most of my gear is not pretty at all - but I love ugly ducklings!
Ha ha, I have to admit to being a bit of a sucker for stylish looking. I don't mind quirky, I guess that's partly why I like Marantz amplifiers they look so stylish to me. But I believe (and hope) that they do actually put some effort into producing well designed, good quality gear, sometimes. I read as much as I could find out about the amp that I bought and it seemed that they had put some thought into it.
What's your gear, that's ugly duckling? I'm guessing it's got to be good and sounds great.

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Ha ha, I have to admit to being a bit of a sucker for stylish looking. I don't mind quirky, I guess that's partly why I like Marantz amplifiers they look so stylish to me. But I believe (and hope) that they do actually put some effort into producing well designed, good quality gear, sometimes. I read as much as I could find out about the amp that I bought and it seemed that they had put some thought into it.
What's your gear, that's ugly duckling? I'm guessing it's got to be good and sounds great.
My old four foot foot high 3-way dipole speakers look like gravestones; they`re hideous - my ex hated their looks but loved the sound.Just the Dynaudio midrange units alone were over £300 each and they sound very lifelike indeed.
My old Sugden amp and CD, old Integra AVR, Crown 19" pro rack mount amp and especially the Danley DIY horn sub is not pretty - it`s just matt black - it`s not veneered but it makes a SVS 13" ultra sound like a pocket transistor radio in comparison.It`s the size of a wardrobe.It`s over seven times the size of my BK Monolith + FF and weighs 150 KG - which is over three times heavier.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDL

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
The crown has mirrored XLR and rca`s, so does the Integra AVR and the dipoles are all RCA.
With actives there is much more efficiency , transient speed and dynamics plus better control because of discrete PSU`s not one frame transformer with 11 taps on it.
AVI do little active systems that are not that expensive for the performance they offer - they blow many passive system out of the water - at the same price and much dearer systems.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
My old four foot foot high 3-way dipole speakers look like gravestones; they`re hideous - my ex hated their looks but loved the sound.Just the Dynaudio midrange units alone were over £300 each and they sound very lifelike indeed.
My old Sugden amp and CD, old Integra AVR, Crown 19" pro rack mount amp and especially the Danley DIY horn sub is not pretty - it`s just matt black - it`s not veneered but it makes a SVS 13" ultra sound like a pocket transistor radio in comparison.It`s the size of a wardrobe.It`s over seven times the size of my BK Monolith + FF and weighs 150 KG - which is over three times heavier.

Hehe hehe hehe. That's hilarious but I admire that you clearly know exactly what you're doing and why and I bet it sounds absolutely awesome. Good on yer. That was a funny description of your excellent gear!!

Reactions: roaduck

roaduck

Jun 26, 2023
Visit site
Hehe hehe hehe. That's hilarious but I admire that you clearly know exactly what you're doing and why and I bet it sounds absolutely awesome. Good on yer. That was a funny description of your excellent gear!!
Thanks very much - most of my stuff is 10-20 years old and looks like it`s made in a garden shed but I don`t mind.Form follows function.
If I wanted a pretty system I would got a Bang and Olufsen or Naim system.
I want something that can do 125 db cleanly with no boom or tizz and holographic 3D midrange.
Unfortunately my big AV system is upstairs under dustsheets because I`m having building work done and decorating.It is scheduled for Autumn completion but I`m not holding my breath - builders can drag their feet just as much as lawyers haha!

The new big 77 inch telly is going on the wall downstairs - when my mate has the time to drop it off in the van and the bracket comes from China.Mmm looking at August now because I`m going to my family in Spain in a fortnight.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
If I wanted a pretty system I would got a Bang and Olufsen or Naim system.
I want something that can do 125 db cleanly with no boom or tizz and holographic 3D midrange.
Unfortunately my big AV system is upstairs under dustsheets because I`m having building work done and decorating.It is scheduled for Autumn completion but I`m not holding my breath - builders can drag their feet just as much as lawyers haha!

The new big 77 inch telly is going on the wall downstairs - when my mate has the time to drop it off in the van and the bracket comes from China.Mmm looking at August now because I`m going to my family in Spain in a fortnight.
Funnily enough, we've got the builders in. They're having to insulate the inside of all the outer walls of our house. We're stuck in the kitchen with the hi fi on as loud as possible to mask the constant sound of percussion drilling into our 200 year old stone walls . At the moment it's Beethoven Piano Concertos 1,2,3,4,5, Variations played by Emil Gilels. Probably be Led Zeppelin next, or maybe Rachmaninoff's Piano Concertos ha ha.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts