Oh NO! Cables again!!

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Comparison:
'AutCreation' 12 AWG 99.9% O2 free copper (5ft long pair with plugs) $20 vs
2x 2 meters of QED 12 AWG (generic from the roll in the store... banana plugs added) $36 vs
Monster 12AWG speaker cable (can't remember price, perhaps $36 plus cost of plugs) vs
pair of QED XT25's (6ft) @ $130
With: Yamaha R-N800a / Q Acoustics 3050's streaming Qobuz Hi Res direct via UPnP

The QED XT25's seem to have a slight edge in clarity and rhythm (depending on source material) but it may be psychological as they cost 4 x more?!

Of course, Q Acoustics pushes QED cable for their speakers (a subsidiary company)? But the XT25's banana plugs only go 1/2 way into the speaker terminals on QA speakers (wouldn't more contact be better)? the same plugs go all the way into the amps. speaker posts.

I'm keeping the XT25 cables as there is a slight 'overall' improvement (a tiny bit more separation, air and rhythm on for example; Steely Dan's 'Aja' and Kari Bremnes 'Norwegian Mood').
But could it be 'in my head' as I haven't had my 'meds' today?

BTW, if you like 'folky' 'Norwegian' stuff (but sung in English) check out 'Norwegian Mood', it's really good (and very well recorded and mixed). You can almost 'touch' the breath on her soft vocals (while the reverb trails just drift off beautifully). Some of the backing harmony vocals just sit right underneath the main vocal line... almost touching but leaving just a tiny little gap... just enough to hear the individual notes as 'separate' in the 2 lines. You can hear beautiful percussion bits and pieces off in the distance (in a very deep left/right soundstage)... along with shimmery soft dark and bright rides and little percussion things going on at various depths in the field.
One track has a little 'bouncy ball' sound (left and right and at various depths) that sometimes comes out and touches you on the nose! It's pretty freaky!

Last edited:
Comparison:
'AutCreation' 12 AWG 99.9% O2 free copper (5ft long pair with plugs) $20 vs
2x 2 meters of QED 12 AWG (generic from the roll in the store... banana plugs added) $36 vs
Monster 12AWG speaker cable (can't remember price, perhaps $36 plus cost of plugs) vs
pair of QED XT25's (6ft) @ $130
With: Yamaha R-N800a / Q Acoustics 3050's streaming Qobuz Hi Res direct via UPnP

The QED XT25's seem to have a slight edge in clarity and rhythm (depending on source material) but it may be psychological as they cost 4 x more?!

Of course, Q Acoustics pushes QED cable for their speakers (a subsiduary company)? But the XT25's banana plugs only go 1/2 way into the speaker terminals on QA speakers (wouldn'y more contact be better)? the same plugs go all the way into the 800a's speaker posts.

I'm keeping the XT25 cables as there is a slight 'overall' improvement (a tiny bit more separation, air and rhythm on for example; Steely Dan's 'Aja' and Kari Bremnes 'Norwegian Mood').
But could it be 'in my head' as I haven't had my 'meds' today?

BTW, if you like 'folky' 'Norwegian' stuff (but sung in English) check out 'Norwegian Mood', it's really good (and very well recorded and mixed). You can almost 'touch' the breath on her soft vocals (while the reverb trails just drift off beautifully). Some of the backing harmony vocals just sit right underneath the main vocal line... almost touching but leaving just a tiny little gap... just enough to hear the individual notes as 'separate' in the 2 lines. You can hear beautiful percussion bits and pieces off in the distance (in a very deep left/right soundstage)... along with shimmery soft dark and bright rides and little percussion things going on at various depths in the field.
One track has a little 'bouncy ball' sound (left and right and at various depths) that sometimes comes out and touches you on the nose! It's pretty freaky!
Lay down with a cold sponge for an hour. 😉

Yes, the QED cable people were behind the creation of the Q Acoustics speaker brand. I recall there’s a history in their website but I’m feeling too lazy to Google it.

Q Acoustics have unusually shallow banana sockets. They’re very neat and a great help if placing near a wall, but regular plugs don’t go in fully.

Reactions: Rui

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
After some listening today, I am actually convinced that the QED XT25's are an improvement over the 12 AWG cables that I have been using for years. The XT25's are thinner at 14 AWG.
(and I haven't even 'burned them in' yet... what's the 'burn in time' for speaker cables? ROFL)
Must be the Air Gap and X Tube technology!

So much so that I'm going to order a pair of XT40i's for just $70 more and see how they sound... they might sound worse 'cos they're thicker @12 AWG

Reactions: Dom

podknocker

Yes, the QED cable people were behind the creation of the Q Acoustics speaker brand. I recall there’s a history in their website but I’m feeling too lazy to Google it.

Q Acoustics have unusually shallow banana sockets. They’re very neat and a great help if placing near a wall, but regular plugs don’t go in fully.
I have a pair of QA3030i and my TQ Ultra blue plugs go all the way in.

Reactions: nopiano

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
After some listening today, I am actually convinced that the QED XT25's are an improvement over the 12 AWG cables that I have been using for years. The XT25's are thinner at 14 AWG.
(and I haven't even 'burned them in' yet... what's the 'burn in time' for speaker cables? ROFL)
Must be the Air Gap and X Tube technology!

So much so that I'm going to order a pair of XT40i's for just $70 more and see how they sound... they might sound worse 'cos they're thicker @12 AWG
A fool and their money are soon parted...your money so do what you like.

Reactions: twinkletoes

jy999

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
I live far enough up north that I can wait for the northern lights. Whenever I get new cables I take them out to bask in the aurora for a few hours to ionize them, really improves the clarity and transparency. I actually did a few extra last time, happy to sell if anyone is interested.

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I live far enough up north that I can wait for the northern lights. Whenever I get new cables I take them out to bask in the aurora for a few hours to ionize them, really improves the clarity and transparency. I actually did a few extra last time, happy to sell if anyone is interested.

Sounds like the making of a decent business model, low over heads, no additional work force required even if the machinery is a little unpredictable.

Reactions: jy999

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
QED XT25's (6ft) @ $130 why so expensive ?
20 pounds for the cable (2x2 meter) https://www.futureshop.co.uk/qed-xt25-speaker-cable-custom-length

10 euros for the plugs https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/bana...ugs-24k-gold-plated-o85mm-set-x4-p-15739.html

lets say 40 euros or pounds is under $45 even if it's 50 total it's not close to $130
Because that's what they cost, which is actually dirt cheap for speaker cables IMHO.
They came directly from QED USA in the box with the plugs attached by QED.
If you follow your own link and do the math it's £87 plus shipping for 2 from futureshop (which is around $110).
Screwing your own plugs onto bare cable compromises the connection...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 11.20.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 11.20.35 AM.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 2

gasolin

why 3 meters when you talk about 6 feet ?

why airlocks when you can have regular plugs

no it's 35 + shipping (once) 10 pounds for shipping ? (80) 20 pounds to usa ?

Thats still not $130. $130 is £104

2024-04-29 19_31_42-QED XT25 Speaker Cable - Custom Length – Google Chrome.jpg

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
why 3 meters when you talk about 6 feet ?

why airlocks when you can have regular plugs

no it's 35 + shipping (once) 10 pounds for shipping ? (80) 20 pounds to usa ?

Thats still not $130. $130 is £104

View attachment 6606
1) The cables are sold as 3 meters but that's close enough to 3 ft for those who don't use metric... you're splitting hairs.

2) The concept of the airlock plug is, in my opinion, a valid one, but that's personal opinion.

3) I obviously wouldn't buy something from the UK and have it shipped here now would I?... that would just be dumb (and incur even more charges, including import tax and possibly other fees too).

4) Even if I was in the UK I wouldn't buy them from 'futureshop' anyway. It looks like they are cheaper at Richer Sounds (£79). This is dirt cheap for speaker cables IMHO. How many LP's or CD's would you get for that.... 2?

The going rate for a pair of these cables at a reputable QED dealer (or direct from QED) in the US is 130 dollars plus tax. I don't make the prices, some things in the USA are just more expensive.
The exchange rate is meaningless when compring prices anyway, you have to look at the purchasing parity index to get a real idea.

podknocker

It is worrying seeing people equate a foot to a metre. There's a whole world of problems on the way if you can't get this right. Type '1m in feet' in google and a metre is about 3.28 times as long as a foot. You learn this stuff when you're about 4 years old. I did anyway. Also, expensive speaker leads won't improve the sound, just make sure they're not a tripping hazard (been there) and make sure they're flexible enough to avoid snags and kinks etc.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts