Record Store Day experience (speaker cable)

gasolin

Record store day, did you buy anything? I bough 2 lps from a local danish artist and Deep purple in rock.

Later i went to one of the small hifistores BUT he sells the high end stuff nordost,mcintosh,perreaux,rega,hegel,luxman, elac,dynaudio,kef speakers,Black Rhodium. DH LABS Silversonic cables.

I told him i upgraded my hifi and he asked if he couldn't have been the one upgrading my system, i wanted nad so he couldn't
wink_smile.png

Later i asked about speaker cable since i use to have supra classic 6.0 (6 mm) and now only have supra classic 2.5 (2.5mm) it makes a slightly difference compared to 6mm thick cable (often in the bass), he asked what kind of cable i wanted, i wanted something musical and not to bright.

DH LABS Silversonic ODESSEY just under £10 or just over 10€ for 1 meter, he gave the length i needed and i got it for free to try for atleast a week, then i could return it or pay what it costs

I did read one review http://www.timpani.com.tr/pages/dhlabs/dhlabs_pix/audio_video_rev.pdf so i had anticipated expectations (not shure it it's the right word,description,expression) i knew it would be a neutral sounding cable

The Odyssey, at $3.50 per foot, is DH Labs' "entry-level" speaker cable. It features 14AWG multi-strand OFHC conductors and PE dielectric. I received my samples terminated with very nice banana plugs, but to maintain its low price, DH Labs also sells Odyssey in bulk, un-terminated form.

I replaced an assortment of rather more expensive cables from Kimber, QED, and Transparent, with the White Lightning, Odyssey, and Encore, then gave them a around 40 hours to burn in before doing any serious listening

After they settled in what I heard was an extremely balanced, neutral, and vivid presentation with no evidence that these were one-tenth the cost of the cables they were replacing. I found this quite astonishing. Essentially, the music flowed with liquid ease, but there was plenty of punch, and transients were quick and lifelike

Conclusion: The trick is you are getting great sounding cables with little or no compromise compared to cables costing much more. Can you do better? Sure, but at many multiples of the cost.

To me the cable surprised me, i though Supra classic was a good cable, but Silversonic ODYSSEY is a little better, i did as mentioned knew it was neutral sounding, it is indeed neutral, top is not bright and metallic (unless the recording requires it), slightly softer an mabye a tiny bit lower.but still easy to hear the top although it doesn't sound intrusive,prononuced (again it depends on the songs your listening to), midrange sounds clean with more air,space, bass not boomy,bloted, a good neutral balance.

One thing i noticed when playing loud was that it didn't sound agressive,intrusive, just loud comfortable and a good balance, no softness or brightness, just neutral, of course relative to what system i have.

A good neutral cable a no brainer

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't remember the gauge though. A change in speaker cables has never sprung on my radar so far. But then again, pretty much everything sounds the same to me. So didn't want to spend big on small changes. Will bear the DH labs in mind if I were to ever consider a swap. Another cable I had in mind was the tellurium Q black. No idea how much it costs though.

Thanks for sharing your experience :)

gasolin

Was original thinking about Inakustisk Premium CU or Exzellenz atmos air about £6 or 6.5-7€ since i use inakustiks usb and interconnects that for the money gives good value but the DH labs Silversonic ODYSSEY gives a good neutral sound, more space,air in the midrange with a slightly less metalic,pronounced top and often i did felt the bass was thighter, it was not in any way boomy,muddy,blooted.

Supra classic is tin plated, multi-strand, oxygen-free 5N purity Copper (grey/silver color) where the DH LAB Silvbersoni ODYSSEY i copper colored 14 awg multi-strand OFHC copper conductors where each strand (is it called that?) is alot thicker than the supra classic that requires you to be more careful when you strip it.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
the reason you posted under the title of "Record Store day experience" was to avoid the "regulars" on this forum from saying that "you must be mad, all cables are the same, telling you what to do with your own money etc etc"

*unknw*

oh, by the way as I was work all day yesterday I didn't get a chance to go to my local record shop so I've probably missed the items I was interested in.

gasolin

No, It was record store day and wanted to know if you bought some records and what, also i had an experince with some speaker cable i would like to share, this day is not just for records (mostly lp's,vinyl) but in general a day in the name of music .

Record store day is all about music

I could just return it if i don't like it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts