Speaker cable - Tests and results from last nights fiddling...!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Got a few sets of speaker cables so though whilst the wife was out I'd do some swapping and changing and see what differences I could hear.

System used:

Amp: NAD C320BEE

Speakers: B&W 685's on Soundstyle ZII's mass loaded with 4kg of atabites in each

Source: iTunes (lossless) via Airplay via ATV2 via a FiiO D3 DAC

Music used (played in the same order):

Danny Tenaglia: Elements

Frank Sinatra: It was a very good year

Fischerspooner: LA Song

The Commitments: The Dark End of the Street

Massive Attack: Splitting the Atom

Cables used (all VERY well run in):

Tellurium Q Blue

QED Silver Anniversary XT

Chord Odyssey 2

Chord Carnival Silverscreen

All cables terminated with banana plugs bar the Tellurium which had Z plugs and all x2 1.5m lengths

First up was the Tellurium as it was already plugged into the system. Sounds fantastic. Deep taut bass with very well detailed mid but the top end, every so often became a little fragile and delved into harshness/dryness which was a little annoying at times!

Second up was the Chord Odyssey 2: Again very good sound indeed; bass was as deep ans tight as the Tellurium but the mids sounded a bit more smoother, maybe slightly dulled and the top end was smooth and detailed, no harshness at all

Third up was the Carnival Silverscreen: Bass was more prominent on this cable; still deep and punchy but not as tight as the previous 2. Mids were very good as was the top end but that was slightly dulled this time round

Fourth and last; QED Silver Anniversary XT: To my shock this sounded the best! Very good bass depth and punch; nice and tight indeed. Mids were superb; Frank Sinatra's and Andrew Strong's vocals were powerful but very clear with this cable and the top end was crisp and clear but not tinny or harsh at all. Danny Tenaglia's Elements, which has a lot of deep bass, sounded amazing. Very punchy but with lots of tight slam and you could really 'feel' the power in this track; same with Maasive Attacks 'Splitting the Atom'.

Overall I had a good few hours of fun! :D

The QED sits proudly in this system; the Odyssey 2 has gone back into my 2nd system upstairs and the other 2 have been sold on already!

The QED was some of the first speaker cable I bought; cables before hand were either given to me free (QED classic etc...) or were just cheap cable from the likes of Maplins etc...

My first impressions of the QED years ago were that it sounded great but the likes of the Chord Carnival Silverscreen and even the QED Revelation bested it with b etter, more detailed mids and top end but not as harsh!

Now the tide has turned on this and I'm really enjoying the QED XT again!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
OK Thanks.

For music I would play something a bit more challenging like: Genesis, Squonk from Trick of the Tail, loads of bass at the start. For treble I find drums cymbals to be challenging, try Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Second Hand News last minute or U2 Rattle and Hum, Desire that should test the tizz.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
BigH said:
OK Thanks.

For music I would play something a bit more challenging like: Genesis, Squonk from Trick of the Tail, loads of bass at the start. For treble I find drums cymbals to be challenging, try Fleetwood Mac Rumours, Second Hand News last minute or U2 Rattle and Hum, Desire that should test the tizz.

Thats fair enough but thats your taste in music

I dont listen to any music like that so dont have it and not going to buy it

I wouldnt test a system I have or looking to buy for me with someone elses music tastes; I'd test it with music I listen to and thats what I've done!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
BigH said:
OK Thanks.

Thats fair enough but thats your taste in music

I dont listen to any music like that so dont have it and not going to buy it

I wouldnt test a system I have or looking to buy for me with someone elses music tastes; I'd test it with music I listen to and thats what I've done!

Fair enough but I would try some tracks with drum cymbals, surely some of your music has something like that on it.

Interesting write up - thanks!

I'm a believer in cable sound, unlike a vocal minority here. All I'd say, after more than forty years listening to audio, is that systems invariably sound better the later it gets. Never sure if one or more of these apply: kit is fully warmed up, less mains noise, less traffic rumble (depending where you live), feeling sleepy.

That might explain your finding, but it might not! If the QED is a simple construction then sometimes it all just knits together better. For an extreme example of his try DNM, which is rarely mentioned these days.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes some of my music will have that but I tested the system last night with the music that I listen to more of than anything else! :doh:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:

I'm a believer in cable sound, unlike a vocal minority here. All I'd say, after more than forty years listening to audio, is that systems invariably sound better the later it gets. Never sure if one or more of these apply: kit is fully warmed up, less mains noise, less traffic rumble (depending where you live), feeling sleepy.

That might explain your finding, but it might not! If the QED is a simple construction then sometimes it all just knits together better. For an extreme example of his try DNM, which is rarely mentioned these days.

You may have something there and yes I heard that systems sound better later at night seems mainly due to less electric being used by others. I would have gone back to cable 1 after cable 4 to double check.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:

You may have something there and yes I heard that systems sound better later at night seems mainly due to less electric being used by others. I would have gone back to cable 1 after cable 4 to double check.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
nopiano said:

Maybe its down to the amount of red wine consummed :grin:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Come on chaps you can't criticize the guy for testing the cables using the kind of music he actually likes listening to. What's the point in him testing cables or even electronics using music he doesn't like and won't normally listen to?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:

I too am a cable believer. Nice writeup, thanks.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Come on chaps you can't criticize the guy for testing the cables using the kind of music he actually likes listening to. What's the point in him testing cables or even electronics using music he doesn't like and won't normally listen to?

I was not critising him just suggesting he try something a bit more challenging, as has has itunes it is easy to download a track or 2.

Don't you get bored playing the same music over and over again?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Don't you get bored playing the same music over and over again?

It's handy to have some music that you know inside out for demo purposes, but I suppose if you like the music that much, you don't need that reason for wanting to.

On another note, I've had a certain cable in my system for a couple of months to see how it performs. I changed back to my original cable last night, and I'll be using the system every night over the next few weeks to see if I feel there is any difference. I did notice a difference last night, but I'm not going to sing from the tree tops based on one experience. I need to try different things in order to be certain that I have heard a difference.

Am I expecting this cable to sound better? Yes I am, it costs a lot more, but I also don't want to pay that much, so my expectation is that it won't be any different so that I don't have to pay for it...

Vizzage

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
I got back late last night after a long day in Dublin, and put on The The - Infected because I love its normally warm, deep yet detailed and gritty sound, and I was flabbergasted to hear how thin and tinny it sounded. There was no bass whatsoever, and the music had a horrible brash tinny sound. I thought oh no - the experiment with my cable swapping has backfired, and now, listening to it cold, it's just awful. Then I remembered! I'd been on a plane! I pinched my nose, clamped my mouth shut, blew a gust of air out of my ears and - hey presto - bass restored.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Interesting write up. I too firmly believe that cables DO make a difference and agree that the QED Silver anniversary cable is great. I had it running my old system for a number of years but felt that the Chord Rumour I have now, was a significant upgrade for the system. Mind you, might have to pick up a few metres to try it with my Arcam set up before I pay a fortune on Odessey or Epic!

Happy tweaking!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts