How about that, power cable,mains can make a difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

gasolin

Never though a cheap power cable would make the sound different from my amp (spoiler alert i already use a good power cable)

I use Copper-line Alpha ONE Power Cable and thought of trying SupraLoRad 2.5 CS-EU with schuko. Where i bought it they had 30 days buy & try (denmark) free delivery and return so i wouldn't lose anything if i don't like it.

Fast delivery, thicker sky blue cable 1.5 meter £53.60 which is a good deal since at futureshop it cost £87.50 without delivery, the say its the MKII, im not shure if the cable i bought is the mkII and there for explains the higher price futureshop wants for roughly the same cable.

First i noticed the sound was brighter and more airy, if bass is better i don't know because bass often tend to sound thinner when the highs are brigter than neutral.

Still a nice surprise that such a reasonable priced "hifi" power cabel could make a difference

Jimboo

Great news , doesn't matter what hifi components you buy folks it's all about the power lead , plug it into the kettle , faster better tasting coffee , your microwave hunters chicken meal from the co op seems more tender , dare I say restaurant quality. Come on man.

Reactions: Squall Leonhart

gasolin

That's what happens if someone just don't want to belive there could be a difference .

If he or she haven't tried it, how can they say it won't make a difference.

It won't help either if he,she is stubborn enough to think,say theres no difference when they haven't had a open mind to wether theres a difference or not, actually tried to hear if theres a difference, not so much what the difference is.

gasolin

I never said i knew how cables change the sound, i just hear if something makes a difference, i already had a good cable and to my surprise i noticed a change.

If my clearer audio cable already made a difference over stock power cable,mains it means that you can buy a power cable,mains for not alot of money that makes a difference compared to stock,basic kettle lead if you are using that kind power cable,mains.

Jimboo

Sorry to labour the point but 1-3 metres of super cable makes up for the rest of the cable to the socket , automatically understands any micro fluctuations required for any given thousands of hifi component variations and improves a system regardless of its make , build or manufacturers brand. It does it all for a reasonable price but the vast majority of hifi firms refuse to supply them or even recommend them for use with their products? I think there are tweaks to be made but they are all blindingly obvious. Never mind the format and quality of the format used .

gasolin

I don't know how it makes a difference, all i know is that it did, even when i thought what i had was already good.

Some people notice a difference some don't

Often you don't notice any difference if changing to a cable of similar quality, only when changing to something completely different you might.

I think the shielding of this cable makes it a little better than other similar priced power cords,cable,mains

Last edited:

Jimboo

Well ok , if it's plugged into an amp it improves the amp and transforms the cd player which has a normal lead? It transforms the interconnect cables and allows the speaker cables to work better. That is some claim. I agree if you hear a difference what the hell. However, given the different brands , quality of recording media etc that such a difference can be made then I would ask every engineer that works for naim , Kef ,linn arcam etc who bothered designing the shape and build of speakers , the layout of amp circuitry or the DAC in or out of your cd player why they don't think about power leads packaged with their products.Horses for courses I guess. Someone will be along later and blow us both out of the water.

Jimboo

Yep they do have different interconnects etc , they say you should use their speaker cables as well. I had a naim system , standard power cables supplied. They believe their connections are better. They must be because 99% of hi fi engineers don't bother following their principles.

Jimboo

They sell them so they say they do. I tried them bought adaptors ignored their connections and bought cheaper cables after being given the full naim bells and whistles interconnects and spkr cables via my then dealer to try. I also had a loan of upgraded naim products and the assorted add ones ,. I also had my linn deck hooked up to different phono stages and a super lead. The end result for me was at times negligible. A massive sonic improvement? No. I hear the music it's what I know and listen too. When I start to listen to the system then I am in trouble.The graphic equaliser or the green rubber thing on the disc or the record clamp , oh lord. If you build it they will buy it.

D

Deleted member 108165

Gasolin is a serial tweaker, always has been, love him to bits :) If you can hear it Gasolin then fine, I've never heard any difference so I'll remain in the non-believers camp (y)

Reactions: Samd

abacus

Shielding can make a difference (Assuming it is only connected at one end) in reducing mains radiation, but so long as you manage the layout of your cables (Most uses that claim a difference don't even do this) the difference will be minimal .(If anything at all)
If you do a double blind AB test I can guarantee you will not hear a difference, however psychology is very powerful, (Hence placebos appear to work) so if you believe you hear a difference (Even if it is proven beyond doubt that there isn't) then go with it, as it is much better to sit back and listen to the music happy then keep worrying about am I using the right cables. (Just don't promote personal perception as fact, unless you can supply verifiable evidence of it ((Something no HI-Fi cable manufacture has ever done)
Have fun listening on whatever you use.

Bill

D

Deleted member 160668

Gasolin, my thoughts as follows...

Biggest change is speakers, then amps. Decent change from silver to copper speaker wire, but never felt the need to go wild here. More strands is better, copper is a winner for me.

Re power cables... this is a minefield and money pit. If your system is resolving enough to identify differences then great. A big personal difference in SQ in my old flat was adding a Tacima mains conditioner, so effective that my then 10 year old son could easily identify when switched in or out. At this point I had Russ Andrew's Powermax mains cables. Not much odds to me, they got sold.

I've recently shelled out (2nd hand, so easily get money back should I choose to sell them) a Shenyata power cable for amp and a Furutech for my streamer. Does it make much odds, mmm maybe/maybe not, will be swapping them in and out when my new amp arrives next week.

With power cables you'll always have the strong "they will" or "they wont" camps, but hell, of you hear a difference then cool.

Best spend for sound per pound upgrade would be elsewhere in the system though in my opinion.

But a really fat cable with snazzy plugs on both ends doesn't half look the biz though.

On that note. My cables may or may not be going up for sale soon, results dependent after next week.

Spend your money how you want fella, as long as your having fun and it sounds good. Who cares.

Peace 👍

gasolin

I have always wanted to try a power conditioner, i think it's called, not just a power distributor (so you can connect more hifi to 1 wall socket)

Those who give more stable voltage and cleaner power but they are so expensive.

I sold my 5 year old clearer audio cable today for no less than the supra cable only cost me the price of a new cd or dvd extra. I noticed a positive difference, not bad for a cheap upgrade.

I have fairly new speakers and they are fantastic, not super loud or deep bass but the play bass as if there was a subwoofer (not neutral) somewhere and only reaching it's limited when playing electronic music like daft punk when pushing my amp to it's limited, because of the bass, not neutral bass,electronic music and 4.5" woofer don't got well trying to play super loud, loud is no problem

They for shure sound more fullbodied than the diamond 225 i had before, despite 2" in difference.

D

Deleted member 188516

Gasolin is a serial tweaker, always has been, love him to bits :) If you can hear it Gasolin then fine, I've never heard any difference so I'll remain in the non-believers camp (y)

may i ask what mains cables did you try ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts