Aftermarket/audiophile power cables. Surely they make a difference??

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
I know that this topic has been the subject of many a debate and disagreement over the years on forums. I have recently read many posts where people are seeking advice and opinion regarding power cords and it seems that there are plenty of people willing to offer less than helpful and sarcastic replies (not all but that is the general theme).

So surely these cables have to be an upgrade and actually make a difference? The reason I say that is there are companies charging a lot of money for these cables and HIFI mags such as What HIFI? Reviewing them and saying in their expert opinion that they offers all manor of different benefits.

I am am seriously considering purchasing a Russ Andrews cable as they have a 60 day return policy on them to allow it to be tired and then returned if you are not happy.

What are people's thoughts on this? Has anyone bought a power cable and been able to hear a decent improvement?

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
chrisrock said:
I know that this topic has been the subject of many a debate and disagreement over the years on forums. I have recently read many posts where people are seeking advice and opinion regarding power cords and it seems that there are plenty of people willing to offer less than helpful and sarcastic replies (not all but that is the general theme).

So surely these cables have to be an upgrade and actually make a difference? The reason I say that is there are companies charging a lot of money for these cables and HIFI mags such as What HIFI? Reviewing them and saying in their expert opinion that they offers all manor of different benefits.

I am am seriously considering purchasing a Russ Andrews cable as they have a 60 day return policy on them to allow it to be tired and then returned if you are not happy.

What are people's thoughts on this? Has anyone bought a power cable and been able to hear a decent improvement?

Duck, your head is above the parapet, it will now be a target for the naysayers.

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Q5 said:
chrisrock said:

Duck, your head is above the parapet, it will now be a target for the naysayers.

I know. I have seen the ridicule others have got overs the years when this has been brought up. :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
chrisrock said:
I know that this topic has been the subject of many a debate and disagreement over the years on forums.

So you know exactly where this one will go too.

chrisrock said:
So surely these cables have to be an upgrade and actually make a difference? The reason I say that is there are companies charging a lot of money for these cables and HIFI mags such as What HIFI? Reviewing them ...

Indeed, if they cost a lot and impress a journalist then I don't need to know more :)

I have used a third party mains cable (an ex-demo Chord C-Power I picked up for £35 a while ago). I bought it for it's build and shielding and 'heft' (nice thick conductors). It didn't sound any different to the freebie mains plug that came in the box with my amplifier, it just felt much safer to use. (The Quad plug felt like it was made from recycled yoghurt containers and was an offence to my senses.)

I have since sold the Chord and made my own lead using a bog standard (but well-made) 1m Lindy cable and an MK Safety Plug.

abacus

None of these Hi-Fi cable manufactures have ever been able to provide verifiable evidence to anyone, that their cables make a difference, which should answer your question. (Some have even had to change their marketing as they fell foul of ASA rules)

Hope this helps

Bill

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have never tried different power cords in my set up, but I did do a couple of experiments with speaker cables and my USB cable

I admit to not understanding a great deal on this issue , so I did go for quite expensive cables, Tellerium q to be precise as they are well regarded. Last year I bought some cheap speaker cables and a £20 Audioquest USB cable. My opinion is that I could not hear any difference at all

Maybe in a really high end system they may do so, but I admit I am cynical

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Gaz37 said:
Just consider how it could make any difference.

Well I don't really have any technical know how in the same way I don't regarding aftermarket interconnects. I just look online for reviews and trust what is being said that if I buy a better quality cable then it will improve my system. I understand the basic concept that electricity is electricity, but I'm trying to understand how companies have bing producing these for years and some people say that no matter what they can not make a difference. I guess I am hoping that a £60 or so outlay would give me some sort of noticeable improvement.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
chrisrock said:
Gaz37 said:
Just consider how it could make any difference.

Well I don't really have any technical know how in the same way I don't regarding aftermarket interconnects. I just look online for reviews and trust what is being said that if I buy a better quality cable then it will improve my system. I understand the basic concept that electricity is electricity, but I'm trying to understand how companies have bing producing these for years and some people say that no matter what they can not make a difference. I guess I am hoping that a £60 or so outlay would give me some sort of noticeable improvement.

Like you say if you have a no quibble return guarantee, try it yourself .

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I agree with womaz. You've nothing to lose by trying. I don't believe there'll be a difference, but if you notice an improvement, well then it might be money well (wasted :) joke) spent

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I have taken a vow never to comment on specific cables.

What I will say is that it is as much about the end terminations as the copper / silver / unobtanium wire in between. You can have gazillion quid an inch cable, but if you use paperclips on the ends...

Whether the cables as a whole makes any difference to YOUR setup depends on YOUR setup, on what YOU start out using, and YOUR ears. $10,000 a foot cables won't helps 200 quid Argos special, but they MIGHT be the final tweak in a mid to high end system. Don't believe me? Replace your current cables with doorbell wire or straightened out coathangers and see how you get on.

Buy very carefully and DONT overdo it on the cables. 10℅ of your hi-fi cost should more than cover your cables.

As for the vendor you mentioned, libel laws prevent me....

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
When I demo'ed my mains block with DC blocker, the dealer also gave me the "matching" power cable. I was sceptical whether an additional £100 was worthwhile. I compared this power cable with a box-standard one. The difference was pretty clear -- the expensive cable was the clear winner for me. Then a blind test with my wife: she instantly picked the expensive cable. Q.E.D. Needless to say that the cable stayed!

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
I have taken a vow never to comment on specific cables.

What I will say is that it is as much about the end terminations as the copper / silver / unobtanium wire in between. You can have gazillion quid an inch cable, but if you use paperclips on the ends...

Whether the cables as a whole makes any difference to YOUR setup depends on YOUR setup, on what YOU start out using, and YOUR ears. $10,000 a foot cables won't helps 200 quid Argos special, but they MIGHT be the final tweak in a mid to high end system. Don't believe me? Replace your current cables with doorbell wire or straightened out coathangers and see how you get on.

Buy very carefully and DONT overdo it on the cables. 10℅ of your hi-fi cost should more than cover your cables.

As for the vendor you mentioned, libel laws prevent me....

Thanks. This made a lot of sense.

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Timo said:
When I demo'ed my mains block with DC blocker, the dealer also gave me the "matching" power cable. I was sceptical whether an additional £100 was worthwhile. I compared this power cable with a box-standard one. The difference was pretty clear -- the expensive cable was the clear winner for me. Then a blind test with my wife: she instantly picked the expensive cable. Q.E.D. Needless to say that the cable stayed!

Did you find the cable alone made a difference, or was it when used together with the mains block that you found the difference?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
chrisrock said:

I am am seriously considering purchasing a Russ Andrews cable as they have a 60 day return policy on them to allow it to be tired  and then returned if you are not happy. 

well there's no time to waste get testing.im not a fan of Russ Andrews but they do make a difference.i use Clearer audio power cables which I find has a more balanced sound.they too have a 60 day money back guarantee.what is your hifi maybe I could recommend a plug for you as IV tried all of Clearer audios power cables.at one stage I thought I was going mad so I took all my plugs out and put the old ones back on.it sounded terrible so put them back on.I started with the cheapest plug Clearer audio make and after listening to all of them I now own the most expensive one they do £1000.if you get one make sure it's plugged straight to the mains as I found if it's plugged into an extension lead you will start to hear distortion

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
chrisrock said:
Timo said:

Did you find the cable alone made a difference, or was it when used together with the mains block that you found the difference?

The mains block with DC blocker is a different story...

Anyway, the mains block came without mains lead. So a power cable between wall socket and mains block was needed, and that is where we tested -- with measurable results. The "winner" was from Isotek.

Why don't you go to local dealers and ask for power cables for home demo?

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
chrisrock said:

well there's no time to waste get testing.im not a fan of Russ Andrews but they do make a difference.i use Clearer audio power cables which I find has a more balanced sound.they too have a 60 day money back guarantee.what is your hifi maybe I could recommend a plug for you as IV tried all of Clearer audios power cables.at one stage I thought I was going mad so I took all my plugs out and put the old ones back on.it sounded terrible so put them back on.I started with the cheapest plug Clearer audio make and after listening to all of them I now own the most expensive one they do £1000.

Thank you.

I have a Marantz PM7005 amp, Marantz CD 6005 and Dali Zensor 3 Speakers and I use qed anniversary speaker cable.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
chrisrock said:
seemorebtts said:
chrisrock said:

I am am seriously considering purchasing a Russ Andrews cable as they have a 60 day return policy on them to allow it to be tired  and then returned if you are not happy. 

well there's no time to waste get testing.im not a fan of Russ Andrews but they do make a difference.i use Clearer audio power cables which I find has a more balanced sound.they too have a 60 day money back guarantee.what is your hifi maybe I could recommend a plug for you as IV tried all of Clearer audios power cables.at one stage I thought I was going mad so I took all my plugs out and put the old ones back on.it sounded terrible so put them back on.I started with the cheapest plug Clearer audio make and after listening to all of them I now own the most expensive one they do £1000.

Thank you.

I have a Marantz PM7005 amp, Marantz CD 6005 and Dali Zensor 3 Speakers and I use qed anniversary speaker cable. 
great little system.i would recommend a clearer audio copper line alpha at £60.its a great starter plug and of course if you want to try something a little more expensive I would recommend Clearer audio copper line at£175 but start with the alpha.also I would recommend you get one for your amp and cd and not just one.please tell us how you get on if you decide to try.Oh also he does a copper line alpha plus at £90 but I found this one a bit wild it can really push your system and might be a bit bright for you.but don't let this deter you as you just might just like it.you can order from the Clearer audio web site he posts anywhere and he takes PayPal so your always covered and he does 60 day money back guarantee https://www.cleareraudio.com/collections/copper-line-alpha-range

abacus

Timo said:
chrisrock said:
Timo said:

The mains block with DC blocker is a different story...

Anyway, the mains block came without mains lead. So a power cable between wall socket and mains block was needed, and that is where we tested -- with measurable results. The "winner" was from Isotek.

Why don't you go to local dealers and ask for power cables for home demo?

Could you provide the measurements and test conditions you used, that way others can perform the same test to see if they can verify the results. (I am assuming that measurable means physical evidence, not subjective evidence without external influences removed)

Bill

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I normally stay clear of debates like these because we get the same old arguments from both sides which lead to 96 pages of replies that get ever so boring that we never find out what the outcome is (or do we even care by this point).

but I do have to say this, everytime someone asks a question on this forum regarding cables whether they be audio, video, mains etc, you pop up with the same copy and pasted reply saying that "it doesn't matter" or "all cables are the same" and now you add to that with your request that Timo provides "measurements and test conditions", why should he after all he said the even his wife noticed a difference between a standard cable and the £100 one he came back from his dealer, are you calling them both stupid because that's what it sounds like.

If you have nothing constructive (or new) to add to any post regarding cables then I suggest you go elsewhere, because to be frank your sarcastic replies are starting to get on my wick. *aggressive*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Don't know if they make a difference but my aftermarket mains cables sure look sexy :).

AUDIO FRIENDLY SHIELDED POWER CABLE (ebay)

Sorry, can't post links.

Don't they look cute? Not expensive either.

Treat yourself. You know you're worth it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts