Aftermarket/audiophile power cables. Surely they make a difference??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
I've read the whole thread and I'm still wondering about the validity of this argument. I'm on the fence, never tried these cables.

If someone wanted to give a mains cable a try which one would make the biggest difference? Amp, source, dac?

I wouldn't mind making my own mind up. I would also not make a definitive judgement after trying whether it would work or not. After all we're all different and difference between our systems/rooms/senses could be so vast that when something works for one person it isn't guaranteed that it will work for someone else (and vice-versa).
I would put it in your amp :) but to be on the same level you need all components to have one.for your amp I would suggest the Clearer audio copper line £175 this is a great plug
I was guessing the amp was the one to go for. I'm not saying I wouldn't consider an upgrade on all but to do meaningful comparisons it would need be done one by one to better assess impact. I need to free up some funds and give it a try. Otherwise I'll never know.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
I've read the whole thread and I'm still wondering about the validity of this argument. I'm on the fence, never tried these cables.

If someone wanted to give a mains cable a try which one would make the biggest difference? Amp, source, dac?

I wouldn't mind making my own mind up. I would also not make a definitive judgement after trying whether it would work or not. After all we're all different and difference between our systems/rooms/senses could be so vast that when something works for one person it isn't guaranteed that it will work for someone else (and vice-versa).
I would put it in your amp :) but to be on the same level you need all components to have one.for your amp I would suggest the Clearer audio copper line £175 this is a great plug
I was guessing the amp was the one to go for. I'm not saying I wouldn't consider an upgrade on all but to do meaningful comparisons it would need be done one by one to better assess impact. I need to free up some funds and give it a try. Otherwise I'll never know.
because you have a great amp I'm willing to lend you a cable.i have a clearer audio copper line alpha it's a good first upgrade.you can have it for a week and then send it back to me will cost £5 post

insider9

seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:

because you have a great amp I'm willing to lend you a cable.i have a clearer audio copper line alpha it's a good first upgrade.you can have it for a week and then send it back to me will cost £5 post

That's very kind of you. I'd be very happy to accept. Cheers

EDITED

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:

This is why this is still a great forum.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
chrisrock said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:

This is why this is still a great forum. 
you have to try it's the only way.the same way with hifi and speakers.and if he doesn't like it it doesn't matter as long as you try :)

abacus

Many users view forums to get guidance, and unless both sides of the story are told, they may buy something they do not need.

The facts are. No one (Not even the manufactures of these cables) has ever been able to provide verifiable evidence that they make a difference to the sound, if people believe that they do, that’s fine, it’s their money, but banging on about something as if it is fact, without any verifiable proof, (In this case that mains cables do make a difference) is absurd, and dishonest. (As manufactures of these products have found, by being slapped down by the ASA)

Bill

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
MajorFubar said:
Con merchants and confidence tricksters. Should be eating porridge behind bars.

Porridge that would taste much better if eaten with a special and very expensive spoon, forged by vestal virgins under a full moon during a leap year.

I always found a couple of spoonfuls of chocolate nesquick (sp) helped a lot...

Mains conditioners, possibly, as the UK mains supply can be quite "noisy" these days. I remember France in the late 80s / early 90s used their mains grid for data transmission for their pre internet "Minitel" system and sometimes you could actually hear the Morse code coming through on the cheap boombox we were using when rebuilding my parents' farmhouse there. If I had this problem today, however, I'd try a PC uninterruptible power supply (UPS) as the battery will act as a huge smoothing capacitor and surge protector, THEN use any old mains cable thereafter.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
gowiththeflow said:
If it's any help to the OP (Chris), a friend of mine Is related to someone who works for a well known HiFi cable company.

He's cautiously happy to confirm it's all a complete scam.

Personally, I'd also be wary of shills who have vested interests in selling snake oil, posting on forums to relate their supposed wonderful experiences to the world ( for world read potential market).

Now we are getting the proof we needed.

Who is this person by name and what company does he/she work for?

If he, as per your comment, is part of a scam (definition: a dishonest scheme, a fraud) you are aiding an illegal doing and you could be part of it too.

So, give names/company so we can pass this on to the police. You can mail me over at PFM privately if you prefer.

Failing that I could report you for aiding and abetting 'an illegal activity'. Of course they would just laugh at me, in a similar manner I laugh at your comment.

As you well know and as has been stated previously in this thread, these companies try to stear clear of making specific claims that can be challenged in law.

They are not doing anything technically illegal.

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:

Seemorebbts have you tried different cable manufacturers or just clearer audio? I am certainly going to try a new cable to see (or should I say hear) for myself if there is a positive difference. Imam going to decide between the Clearer Audio and the Ecosse Big Orange (based of good reviews also).

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
chrisrock said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:
seemorebtts said:
insider9 said:

Seemorebbts have you tried different cable manufacturers or just clearer audio? I am certainly going to try a new cable to see (or should I say hear) for myself if there is a positive difference. Imam going to decide between the Clearer Audio and the Ecosse Big Orange (based of good reviews also). 

just Russ Andrews and Clearer audio.my first plug was Clearer audio and tried some Russ Andrews.i found the Russ Andrews pushed midrange detail which can be a good thing but Clearer audio has more balance good in all areas.i haven't tried all Russ Andrews just some.i still have a Russ Andrews x2 block that I use on my tv.oh forgot IV tried the TACIMA CS947 power block and hated it does nothing really just better vocals

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
drummerman said:
gowiththeflow said:
If it's any help to the OP (Chris), a friend of mine Is related to someone who works for a well known HiFi cable company.

He's cautiously happy to confirm it's all a complete scam.

Personally, I'd also be wary of shills who have vested interests in selling snake oil, posting on forums to relate their supposed wonderful experiences to the world ( for world read potential market).

Now we are getting the proof we needed.

Who is this person by name and what company does he/she work for?

If he, as per your comment, is part of a scam (definition: a dishonest scheme, a fraud) you are aiding an illegal doing and you could be part of it too.

So, give names/company so we can pass this on to the police. You can mail me over at PFM privately if you prefer.

Failing that I could report you for aiding and abetting 'an illegal activity'. Of course they would just laugh at me, in a similar manner I laugh at your comment.

As you well know and as has been stated previously in this thread, these companies try to stear clear of making specific claims that can be challenged in law.

They are not doing anything technically illegal.

Ah. So its not a scam anymore no?

Perhaps more a 'demand and supply' thing ... right?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
chrisrock said:
I know that this topic has been the subject of many a debate and disagreement over the years on forums. I have recently read many posts where people are seeking advice and opinion regarding power cords and it seems that there are plenty of people willing to offer less than helpful and sarcastic replies (not all but that is the general theme).

So surely these cables have to be an upgrade and actually make a difference? The reason I say that is there are companies charging a lot of money for these cables and HIFI mags such as What HIFI? Reviewing them and saying in their expert opinion that they offers all manor of different benefits.

I am am seriously considering purchasing a Russ Andrews cable as they have a 60 day return policy on them to allow it to be tired and then returned if you are not happy.

What are people's thoughts on this? Has anyone bought a power cable and been able to hear a decent improvement?

LOL.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
chebby said:
It didn't sound any different to the freebie mains plug that came in the box with my amplifier, it just felt much safer to use.

Have you changed the cables on your other stuff to make them safer to use?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Timo said:
Did you see it? TheSadManInHifi.com. Their most popular thread? "Cables don't make a difference!" It's a bl*** long thread. There is even somebody who says he know about this because somebody told him he heard from somebody else -- from the industry! Shock, shock -- the scam is coming to an end...

Well, don't be bothered; don't waste your time reading it. Just go to TrustYourOwnEars.Com, and enjoy the music. I sit here and enjoy Chopin's Nocturnes. And know that my after-market power cable and my Chord Epic Twin were money well spent. Lovely sound coming from my Naim and PMC 25.23. A great Sunday here -- and no space for sad men... *dance4*

I think UseYourBrain.com would be more appropriate. Mains cables cannot, and therefore don't have any effect on sould quality, as long as they work.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
seemorebtts said:
.i found the Russ Andrews pushed midrange detail which can be a good thing

Good thing? It's a bloody miracle!!!!

What is it with you. Do you have a 'cable thread allert' button on your pc?

Its the only time you come out with your wise cracking one liners.

Shame I'm not a mod. You'd be out instantly.

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Oldphrt unless I am reading it incorrectly it seems that you are offering nothing more than sarcasm. You clearly don't believe aftermarket cables make any difference, and that is fine. We all have an opinion and I would value your experiences/knowledge if you have some to offer, but it's replies like your that seem to cause arguments and deter others from commenting or joining the forums.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
chebby said:
It didn't sound any different to the freebie mains plug that came in the box with my amplifier, it just felt much safer to use.

Have you changed the cables on your other stuff to make them safer to use?

I said 'felt much safer'. They both adhere to BS1363 standards and ARE therefore (presumably) safe and fit for purpose, but I just don't like the feel of flimsy plugs.

Yes, I have bought Lindy 1m 'fig. 8' mains leads and MK Safe Plugs* for two other items.

* An MK proprietary name based on the properties of the material they are made from and not my judgement of their safety.

I must admit that I have replaced all of my mains power leads with Clearaudio Copperline Alphas purely to get them all the same colour as had black, grey, you name it. Love the colour and the fact they came in variable lengths, well built with good quality plugs all round and didn't cost the earth.

Was I expecting to hear an improvement in SQ...... no, and I didn't but that was never the aim.

Only complaint is they're a touch too stiff.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
Oldphrt said:
seemorebtts said:
.i found the Russ Andrews pushed midrange detail which can be a good thing

Good thing? It's a bloody miracle!!!!

What is it with you. Do you have a 'cable thread allert' button on your pc?

Its the only time you come out with your wise cracking one liners.

Shame I'm not a mod. You'd be out instantly.

To be honest, Mr phrt seems to have the most sense on this thread.

If I can face going again through all the reasons why (of all things...) a mains lead is going to make no difference, then I might have a go. Got to clear the kitchen up first.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Andrewjvt said:
Try placebophille
hi Andrew just looked at your pic I see you have one of my favourite Speaker's ever.have you put them on a cardboard box.what hifi are you running them with.sorry to take up the thread

Are you asking me if ive ever listened to atc scm11s whilst placed ontop of a cardboard box?

Errm, no
Why do you ask?

Andrewjvt said:
It seems to me that people on here want power cables to make a difference and wont be relieved or happy that they dont?

But they do, just not always a difference to sound quality.... that's it, end of. ;-)

Actually siting a pair of speakers on top of a cardboard box might not be a bad idea.... financially.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts