Aftermarket/audiophile power cables. Surely they make a difference??

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
seemorebtts said:
Andrewjvt said:
Try placebophille
hi Andrew just looked at your pic I see you have one of my favourite Speaker's ever.have you put them on a cardboard box.what hifi are you running them with.sorry to take up the thread

Are you asking me if ive ever listened to atc scm11s whilst placed ontop of a cardboard box?

Errm, no
Why do you ask?
they look like there on boxes in the pic

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if the manufacturers would back up their products with some measurable results. The fact that they won't suggests that they cannot, which in turn suggests to me that their products are nothing more than pretty wires.

I must admit that out of all the hifi cable products available the power cable seems the least likely to possibly make a difference to the sound of your hifi. I mean, how could it? It makes no sense...

NWTA I have two PS Audio AC12's in my system. I didn't pay a penny for them, and can't say either way if they make a difference, but they don't half look the part!

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
It would be nice if the manufacturers would back up their products with some measurable results. The fact that they won't suggests that they cannot, which in turn suggests to me that their products are nothing more than pretty wires.

I must admit that out of all the hifi cable products available the power cable seems the least likely to possibly make a difference to the sound of your hifi. I mean, how could it? It makes no sense...

NWTA I have two PS Audio AC12's in my system. I didn't pay a penny for them, and can't say either way if they make a difference, but they don't half look the part!
I'm totally with you it makes know sense but it just works.all I did was try and I found it beneficial.your cables look stunning but to be honest mine look bad compared to yours but that's not the point.its how they sound

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Currently, there's also a live cable thread in the Naim forum, and it is quite interesting to compare the discussion here with the one among the Naim folks. Here, the discussion started with a £60 mains cable -- triggering lots of sarcasm and a bit of insult. The Naim folk discuss ChordMusic interconnect and speaker cables. An interconnect from this range sets you back by an eye-watering £3,500. You might think that is an insane amount of money for a cable -- absolutely!!! But still, the debate in the Naim forum is most civilised, and people with top-end Naim gear enjoy chatting about their apparently extremely expensive hobby without rude interventions from anybody trying evangelise them. To cut a long story short, more live and let live, as called for by Drummerman.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I can see why a lot of people have stopped using this forum. Childlike insults amongst grown adults.

Very silly really.

Timo said:
Currently, there's also a live cable thread in the Naim forum, and it is quite interesting to compare the discussion here with the one among the Naim folks. Here, the discussion started with a £60 mains cable -- triggering lots of sarcasm and a bit of insult. The Naim folk discuss ChordMusic interconnect and speaker cables. An interconnect from this range sets you back by an eye-watering £3,500. You might think that is an insane amount of money for a cable -- absolutely!!! But still, the debate in the Naim forum is most civilised, and people with top-end Naim gear enjoy chatting about their apparently extremely expensive hobby without rude interventions from anybody trying evangelise them. To cut a long story short, more live and let live, as called for by Drummerman.
I'm a bit out of touch with Naim's latest, but while they once rejected any cable nonsense - and indeed I think their earlier amps could blow up with some fancy speaker wires - don't they now offer a several hundred £ mains cable? And are often seen with Chord cables, from somewhere just down the road from Salisbury!

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
Oldphrt said:
seemorebtts said:
.i found the Russ Andrews pushed midrange detail which can be a good thing

Good thing? It's a bloody miracle!!!!

What is it with you. Do you have a 'cable thread allert' button on your pc?

Its the only time you come out with your wise cracking one liners.

Shame I'm not a mod. You'd be out instantly.

What are you, Mrs Doubtfire? A rocker? Does reality bother you so much you want to suppress it?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
Timo said:
I'm a bit out of touch with Naim's latest, but while they once rejected any cable nonsense - and indeed I think their earlier amps could blow up with some fancy speaker wires - don't they now offer a several hundred £ mains cable? And are often seen with Chord cables, from somewhere just down the road from Salisbury!

There are loads of gullible dopes out there. Supply and demand, as long as being dishonest doesn't bother you you can make a mint.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Andrewjvt said:
It seems to me that people on here want power cables to make a difference and wont be relieved or happy that they dont?
know body wants them to work they just do work

Yes, they work, but only the same as any other cable because they are on the mains.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
chrisrock said:
Oldphrt unless I am reading it incorrectly it seems that you are offering nothing more than sarcasm. You clearly don't believe aftermarket cables make any difference, and that is fine. We all have an opinion and I would value your experiences/knowledge if you have some to offer, but it's replies like your that seem to cause arguments and deter others from commenting or joining the forums.

I know that a mains cable can't make any difference. It isn't a belief.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Timo said:
OLDPHRT -- Another sad man in hi-fi... And I am still enjoying my music here -- lovely Sunday. *dance4*

Do you have to be deluded to be happy? The line of dopes that went to the church opposite me don't seem especially happy. Perhaps Jesus in a let down.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
Timo said:
OLDPHRT -- Another sad man in hi-fi... And I am still enjoying my music here -- lovely Sunday. *dance4*

Do you have to be deluded to be happy? The line of dopes that went to the church opposite me don't seem especially happy. Perhaps Jesus in a let down.

Mods, can you please get rid of this txxxxr.

Thanks

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
Oldphrt said:
Timo said:
OLDPHRT -- Another sad man in hi-fi... And I am still enjoying my music here -- lovely Sunday. *dance4*

Thanks

Drummer,

To misquote Voltaire ' I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it'

Rather than deciding on my behalf what I should and shouldn't be reading, perhaps if Mr phrt is offending you so badly, you should stop reading this thread?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
andyjm said:
drummerman said:
Oldphrt said:
Timo said:

Thanks

Drummer,

To misquote Voltaire ' I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it'

Rather than deciding on my behalf what I should and shouldn't be reading, perhaps if Mr phrt is offending you so badly, you should stop reading this thread?

Come on andjm, DM is right. This guy is just trying to light the touch paper. Nobody would disagree that opinions from all sides are as welcome as they are healthy, but to misquote Frank Carson, 'It's the way you tell 'em'.

If you can't play nice then you shouldn't be in the playground. *stop*

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Gazzip said:
andyjm said:
drummerman said:
Oldphrt said:
Timo said:

Thanks

Drummer,

Come on andjm, DM is right. This guy is just trying to light the touch paper. Nobody would disagree that opinions from all sides are as welcome as they are healthy, but to misquote Frank Carson, 'It's the way you tell 'em'.

Where didn't I play nice?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
Oldphrt said:
Timo said:

Thanks

You are worse. A few XXXXs in tosser doesn't disguise the insult you intend, and I have not insulted you at all.

chrisrock

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
Gazzip said:
andyjm said:
drummerman said:
Oldphrt said:
Timo said:
OLDPHRT -- Another sad man in hi-fi... And I am still enjoying my music here -- lovely Sunday. *dance4*

Thanks

Drummer,

Totally agree.

We all welcome different views, opinions and shared experience/knowledge. But phrt, while clearly expressing which side of the fence they are on is doing it with multiple comments that offer nothing to the thread.

I get it, they think power cables are power cables no matter how much they cost. But I very much get the impression that the comments are an attempt to get a reaction and that's obviously working. It's just frustrating.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
chrisrock said:
phrt, while clearly expressing which side of the fence they are on is doing it with multiple comments that offer nothing to the thread.

Just telling it like it is, really. I can be a tad brusque I admit. *biggrin*

"I get it, they think power cables are power cables no matter how much they cost."

I don't just think that, I know it with absolute certainty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts