Aftermarket/audiophile power cables. Surely they make a difference??

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dellroy

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
dellroy said:
So do these cables actually work then or what? Or do some people just think they do and others think they know they don't? *biggrin* *bomb*

You are, of course, perfectly entitled to go and find out for yourself.

They will, of course, make a difference ....... to your bank account especially.

Hey Al ears. Ha, comment was more of a joke. I'm sat listening to Ed Sheeran's new album loving what I am hearing, so no real need to spend money here right now. I am interested in the cables discussion though so will follow and read. I personally think that if you have a system and want to spend money to "improve" the sound then save it and put it towards new speakers or amp. I recently listened to some Dali Opticon 2 speakers plugged into the same amp that I have and they sounded far better. I then listened to my Zensor 3's plugged into an Arcam A29 and would have bought it there and then had my wife not quickly left the shop with the credit card once she saw my face. So while cables may or may not make a difference, if the goal is long term sonic bliss then depending on the system you already have (in my case fairly entry level) then saving for much better speakers or amp may put a far bigger smile on your face.

shadders

ellisdj said:
Its clearly been an issue for someone in this thread. I think the chap who started the thread even. Is that something you condone?

So your stand point is we are driving people away from using the forum but we are within the rules so doing nothing wrong??

Here comes some spin?
Hi,

If someone has been rude to someone else - then yes, that is wrong, also if it eventually drives them away.

Don't confuse peoples statements which are valid, as the reason for driving someone away, when it is in fact the rudeness of people. They are two different issues.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Shadders if we are in agreement that negative threads like this one and the last 10 before it that push people away from using the forum are bad in general

Therefore when I say if the opposite happened in the thread - i.e. there can be some negativity and disagreement but overall some positivity to come from it for the person who started it and people in it do you think there would be anyone that would be pushed away from using the forum as a result of it?

Dont twist the answer please

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
dellroy said:
Al ears said:
dellroy said:
So do these cables actually work then or what?  Or do some people just think they do and others think they know they don't? *biggrin* *bomb*

They will, of course, make a difference ....... to your bank account especially.

Hey Al ears. Ha, comment was more of a joke. I'm sat listening to Ed Sheeran's new album loving what I am hearing, so no real need to spend money here right now. I am interested in the cables discussion though so will follow and read. I personally think that if you have a system and want to spend money to "improve" the sound then save it and put it towards new speakers or amp. I recently listened to some Dali Opticon 2 speakers plugged into the same amp that I have and they sounded far better. I then listened to my Zensor 3's plugged into an Arcam A29 and would have bought it there and then had my wife not quickly left the shop with the credit card once she saw my face. So while cables may or may not make a difference, if the goal is long term sonic bliss then depending on the system you already have (in my case fairly entry level) then saving for much better speakers or amp may put a far bigger smile on your face. 
you are so right.money is better spent on Electronics you will get more for your cash but some day you will want to tinker with your system and a power cable is a great way to start :)

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
dellroy said:
Al ears said:
dellroy said:
So do these cables actually work then or what? Or do some people just think they do and others think they know they don't? *biggrin* *bomb*

you are so right.money is better spent on Electronics you will get more for your cash but some day you will want to tinker with your system and a power cable is a great way to start :)

Don't pick at that thread for christ's sake. Are you sure about that? Why are you so sure about that? Is it because those electronics come in a nicely milled aluminium box with a British sounding manufacturer name? Does it come with a load of scientifically based measurements to prove how amazing it is, or perhaps those measurements are complete and meaniglessly inaudible tosh, as is oft the case with amplifier measurements etc.?

It is just as easy to part a fool with his money by putting some cheap Shenzhen electronics in to a pretty box and naming it after an English town or county, as it is to do the same with a fancy cable. Don't you believe otherwise!

shadders

ellisdj said:
Shadders if we are in agreement that negative threads like this one and the last 10 before it that push people away from using the forum are bad in general

Therefore when I say if the opposite happened in the thread - i.e. there can be some negativity and disagreement but overall some positivity to come from it for the person who started it and people in it do you think there would be anyone that would be pushed away from using the forum as a result of it?

Hi,

I do not see any thread as being negative or positive. People express their opinions, that is all.

If someone interprets scientific/engineering statements disputing that cables make a difference, as being negative, then that is up to them. No one can dispute that is how they feel.

Conversely, if someone sees the comments as being positive, then again, that is up to them.

If any comment which is not rude, but deemed negative since it disagrees with their approach, is stated as the cause that they dislike the forum, and they then leave - nothing can be done about this. If they do not like what they are hearing - then as long as it meets the forum rules - it is their decision. The person who is leaving cannot hold others responsible.

There is no negative or positive in the discussion. It is just an open discussion - that is all.

Regards,

Shadders.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
ellisdj said:

Hi,

I do not see any thread as being negative or positive. People express their opinions, that is all.

If someone interprets scientific/engineering statements disputing that cables make a difference, as being negative, then that is up to them. No one can dispute that is how they feel.

Conversely, if someone sees the comments as being positive, then again, that is up to them.

If any comment which is not rude, but deemed negative since it disagrees with their approach, is stated as the cause that they dislike the forum, and they then leave - nothing can be done about this. If they do not like what they are hearing - then as long as it meets the forum rules - it is their decision. The person who is leaving cannot hold others responsible.

There is no negative or positive in the discussion. It is just an open discussion - that is all.

Regards,

Shadders.

Shadders if that is all it was there would be no issue - but thats not what happens.

As soon as someone steps in and says anything positive they are called an idiot or a fool or a "fuckwit" - but you dont see that as a negative thread

You dont see someone openly saying I dont feel like I want to participate on this forum anymore because of comments said as being a negative thread

Come off it - look at the acoustic treatment thread - no insults no arguements, disagreements in best practice but noone wanting to leave the forum as a result - I would say that is a positive thread that engaged people and made them want to try things and get better sound. That was clearly a positive thread

Even then you have someone oldphart that tried ruin it with a negative completely uncecessary post that was irrelevant but was just an attempt to trigger someone in an arguement to kill the positivity of the thread. Why would anyone do that? They do that a lot.

So there are clearly positive and negative threads - its nothing to do with positive and negative information coming out of them its to someone reading it and about how they feel as a result of reading it. Are they inspired to do better or do they want to Alt F4 and never come back.

Nothing good comes from a thread that makes people want to go elsewhere - and its not the topic or information in the thread thay causes that.

shadders

ellisdj said:
shadders said:
ellisdj said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Shadders if that is all it was there would be no issue - but thats not what happens.

As soon as someone steps in and says anything positive they are called an idiot or a fool or a "fuckwit" - but you dont see that as a negative thread

You dont see someone openly saying I dont feel like I want to participate on this forum anymore because of comments said as being a negative thread

Come off it - look at the acoustic treatment thread - no insults no arguements, disagreements in best practice but noone wanting to leave the forum as a result - I would say that is a positive thread that engaged people and made them want to try things and get better sound. That was clearly a positive thread

Even then you have someone oldphart that tried ruin it with a negative completely uncecessary post that was irrelevant but was just an attempt to trigger someone in an arguement to kill the positivity of the thread. Why would anyone do that? They do that a lot.

So there are clearly positive and negative threads - its nothing to do with positive and negative information coming out of them its to someone reading it and about how they feel as a result of reading it. Are they inspired to do better or do they want to Alt F4 and never come back.

Nothing good comes from a thread that makes people want to go elsewhere - and its not the topic or information in the thread thay causes that.
Hi,

If someone is rude, then yes, that is wrong if it breaches the forum rules. Maybe the terse remark is unacceptable.

If someone presents an opposing view, then it is not negative. Only their behaviour is negative.

If someone states something negative - such as the product is extremely poor - then this may be justified if backed up with evidence. Then, perhaps it is not then negative, but accurate. It is perception.

Whatever the thread, it is irrelevant if the statements are for or against an issue/subject, only a persons behaviour can be deemed negative. If you disagree with their behaviour, then state so at the time.

If the comments in a thread are stated without being rude - then it is opinion, or fact if backed up with science/engineering, and no one can say that they cannot state it.

Regards,

Shadders.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
C'mon guys, you are not already getting tired are you now? - We haven't even reached 300 yet and insults are still far and few in between :)

My recommendation for a good looking, solidly built and great sounding power chord is the

Audio Friendly shielded IEC Power Cable.

Available on ebay and yours for a paltry £24 or so per meter. There is a cheaper version for 15 quid which also looks snazzy.

Your Hifi will thank you for it. You will thank me and Audio Friendly will thank both you and I.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
C'mon guys, you are not already getting tired are you now? - We haven't even reached 300 yet and insults are still far and few in between :)

My recommendation for a good looking, solidly built and great sounding power chord is the

Available on ebay and yours for a paltry £24 or so per meter. There is a cheaper version for 15 quid which also looks snazzy.

Your Hifi will thank you for it. You will thank me and Audio Friendly will thank both you and I.

I can't see mine, so there's no point.. if you can't see it surely the ultimate cable is a kettle one capable of supplying a 3KW kettle.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
drummerman said:

I can't see mine, so there's no point.. if you can't see it surely the ultimate cable is a kettle one capable of supplying a 3KW kettle.

Not if you want your kettle to sound good.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts