Power,spl,dynamics

gasolin

New speakers Triangle esprit titus ez

Thought they would be bright + louder than my dynaudios

With my system they are not at all bright (y) but im sort of in the situation where i feel they don't play as loud as my dynaudio emit m10's (not a huge difference)

Triangle speaker have often high sensitivty (like focal speakers) 89 db rated mabye 1 db down 88db (triangle are close to there rated specs), dynaudio emit m10 is rated at 86 db, have seen them to be more in the 82-84 db area,than 85-86db, let's say 84db, i should have like 3 db higher spl,more power at 60 watt (specs of the titus ez is 60/90 watt, emit m10 150 watt)

Here is what i have, 2x 80 watt in 8 ohm 2x60 watt in 4 ohm peak 105 / 125 / 150 / 175 W (8/6/4/2 ohms), i should be able to play a little louder with the new speakers, difference is minimum 120 watt with my dynaudios and 60 watt with my triangles for the same spl. I wouldn't like to listen to 120 watt rms with my dynaudios.

The highs from the triangles is much smoother and there for don't give the same impression of power as my dynaudio but it's a whole different league with the triangles, you can play loud without the highs being to much and still have alot of details low levels, but as soon as there is some bass in a song the woofer moves alot and looks like it won't do more than my dynaudios, dynaudios (atleast the emit seris and as a remember contour 20) are known to be able to handle alot of power but just because i change speakers don't give me alot more power

For reference a klipsch rp-600m according to stereophile has 90 db sensitivity despite bing rated at 96 db

To high expectations ?

The sound surprised me, especially the highs, softer (despite using silver speaker cable),more details, wide soundstage, good dynamics, neutral bass, it doesn't get shouty at high levels, they are musically, just enough to make them in a higher tier than dynaudio emits (haven't heard enough of the new emit's to know how much better the titus ez's are, don't know if they are better than dynaudio evoke 10).

Some say they have long burn in time so i hate to change them to something with a couple of db higher sensitivity (they sound very good) but is there an alterantiv that will go louder without sounding bright ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

Fandango Andy

New speakers Triangle esprit titus ez

Thought they would be bright + louder than my dynaudios

With my system they are not at all bright (y) but im sort of in the situation where i feel they don't play as loud as my dynaudio emit m10's (not a huge difference)

Triangle speaker have often high sensitivty (like focal speakers) 89 db rated mabye 1 db down 88db (triangle are close to there rated specs), dynaudio emit m10 is rated at 86 db, have seen them to be more in the 82-84 db area,than 85-86db, let's say 84db, i should have like 3 db higher spl,more power at 60 watt (specs of the titus ez is 60/90 watt, emit m10 150 watt)

Here is what i have, 2x 80 watt in 8 ohm 2x60 watt in 4 ohm peak 105 / 125 / 150 / 175 W (8/6/4/2 ohms), i should be able to play a little louder with the new speakers, difference is minimum 120 watt with my dynaudios and 60 watt with my triangles for the same spl. I wouldn't like to listen to 120 watt rms with my dynaudios.

The highs from the triangles is much smoother and there for don't give the same impression of power as my dynaudio but it's a whole different league with the triangles, you can play loud without the highs being to much and still have alot of details low levels, but as soon as there is some bass in a song the woofer moves alot and looks like it won't do more than my dynaudios, dynaudios (atleast the emit seris and as a remember contour 20) are known to be able to handle alot of power but just because i change speakers don't give me alot more power

For reference a klipsch rp-600m according to stereophile has 90 db sensitivity despite bing rated at 96 db

To high expectations ?

The sound surprised me, especially the highs, softer (despite using silver speaker cable),more details, wide soundstage, good dynamics, neutral bass, it doesn't get shouty at high levels, they are musically, just enough to make them in a higher tier than dynaudio emits (haven't heard enough of the new emit's to know how much better the titus ez's are, don't know if they are better than dynaudio evoke 10).

Some say they have long burn in time so i hate to change them to something with a couple of db higher sensitivity (they sound very good) but is there an alterantiv that will go louder without sounding bright ?
What is the problem at higher volumes?

Also, why do you need high volume, are you using them in an unusually large room? If so are they the right speakers for the job?

gasolin

There is nothing wrong when playing loud BUT some like alot of bass, some like bright speakers, some like ultra neutral speakers, some prefer it to sound good but don't bother so much if the speakers are not neutral, some like it loud and those with money want it all bass,to sound good and play loud

Triangle often has high sensitivity and close to the rated spec where my older more bright Dynaudio Emit M10 has a little less sensitvity than rated

There can be a litte difference in wattage do to different impedance, even with the 89 db rated sensitivity (might be real 88 db) and the dynaudio beeing 84db ish sensitive, the triangles might not play as loud as my dynaudios when needed

If i limit my amp to the same volume lets say 30 my trangles might not play noticeable louder than my dynaudio despite having the highest rated sensitivity and despite almost same size woofer the trinagle don't loook like it can handle as much power as dynaudio

The highs are not in any way as prominent from the triangles as the dynaudios and there for give a diffrenet impression when playing loud

Beacuse of the difference in sensitivity i expected higher spl at all volumes (setting of the amps volume) but i don't feel it as much

Do i expect to much ?

And no, it's not about having it to be 10db higher for me to feel,perceive it as twice as loud

Fandango Andy

There is nothing wrong when playing loud BUT some like alot of bass, some like bright speakers, some like ultra neutral speakers, some prefer it to sound good but don't bother so much if the speakers are not neutral, some like it loud and those with money want it all bass,to sound good and play loud

Triangle often has high sensitivity and close to the rated spec where my older more bright Dynaudio Emit M10 has a little less sensitvity than rated

There can be a litte difference in wattage do to different impedance, even with the 89 db rated sensitivity (might be real 88 db) and the dynaudio beeing 84db ish sensitive, the triangles might not play as loud as my dynaudios when needed

If i limit my amp to the same volume lets say 30 my trangles might not play noticeable louder than my dynaudio despite having the highest rated sensitivity and despite almost same size woofer the trinagle don't loook like it can handle as much power as dynaudio

The highs are not in any way as prominent from the triangles as the dynaudios and there for give a diffrenet impression when playing loud

Beacuse of the difference in sensitivity i expected higher spl at all volumes (setting of the amps volume) but i don't feel it as much

Do i expect to much ?

And no, it's not about having it to be 10db higher for me to feel,perceive it as twice as loud
Now you have really lost me. Are you saying you have to turn the volume control on your amp a little higher to achieve the same db? If so what's the problem? Just turn it up a little more.

gasolin

Beacuse of the difference in sensitivity i expected higher spl at all volumes (setting of the amps volume) but i don't feel it as much, i don't feel a huge difference

With "normal" bass heavy music i feel the woofer move so much that they can't play louder than my dynaudios, mabye less which they shouldn't in theory

Fandango Andy

Beacuse of the difference in sensitivity i expected higher spl at all volumes (setting of the amps volume) but i don't feel it as much, i don't feel a huge difference

With "normal" bass heavy music i feel the woofer move so much that they can't play louder than my dynaudios, mabye less which they shouldn't in theory
Sorry, I think you are chasing unicorns.

Spl is fine for developing a product, but at consumer levels all that matters is if it sounds good.

Am I right in saying the Triangle esprit titus ez is a smallish stand mount speaker? If you want heavy bass get a pair of floorstanders, or add a sub.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
There are many other factors that determine the percieved 'loudness' of a system in the real world (that is, outside of an anechoic chamber).
Because speaker efficiency and sensitivity have no relevance as to how 'good' a system will sound to your ears, I don't really see the point of the original post. As long as the amp. has enough power (and most decent modern amps do) just turn up the volume.
One reason why Klipsch can achieve high db sesitivity numbers (on paper) is becuse they use mostly horn drivers which are very 'efficient'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts