Panasonic ZT60 (now ZT65)

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I think the design might sway quite a few people to go for the VT. My Kuro is looking seriously dated in terms of design, and now that Panasonic have sorted out the all too common problems we saw with the 50 series models I think it's time for an upgrade. I will hold fire until the TPS event in Walsall though...

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Pindi said:
mr malarky said:
I'm seriously tempted to go for one, too.

Where are you buying it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Have ordered from Mark's Electricals in Leicester, £3,499 with free delivery and 5 year warrantee.

Not used them before though so fingers crossed they're ok (they get very good reviews on 'TrustPilot'), but will let everyone how it goes and whether any issues arise.

Most importantly, I broke the news to the mrs last night and, on balance, I'd say she took it rather well!

So that's the primary hurdle overcome, provided Marks don't let me down there should be a shiny new ZT here in a few weeks.

Happy days!

:grin:

Apologies for not replying sooner...

That's a good price you got there. Any idea on a delivery date yet?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
So Strapped, are you thinking that the GT60 would be good enough for me?

It's true that the the twin tuner and PVR functionality aren't essential for me, and if I do get rid of Sky, I have a good Echostar PVR in the bedroom I can use.

To be honest, I just want the best picture I can afford, and the VT looks like it edges the GT just. From what I can see from the reviews, the blacks are ever so slightly better than the GT's, and the reflective filter is slightly better too. The other difference that might make it worth buying for me, is the design, the VT definitely looks better than the GT.

So are those 3 points worth an extra £400-£500? I guess I'll just have to think about it. Plus, this is all dependent on JL saying they will exchange my GT of course.

Whle watching football yesterday, I genuinely could barely see the vertical banding, even when looking for it. So another option is to stick with the GT50 until the price of the GT60 and VT65 come down, then sell the GT50, and buy one of the other two.

Let's see whay JL have to say.

I wouldn't say the GT60 is "good enough for you." (That could sound insulting, which isn't my intention!) Rather, it's a question of which TV is most appropriate for your needs and budget.

Black levels are so close between GT60 and VT65 that it's not worth splitting hairs. The filter does a better job of holding on to those black levels under bright lighting or during the day; but if most of your viewing is in a batcave, this becomes less of a factor.

The VT65 is prettier than the GT60. I'm also genuinely surprised by the VT65's sound quality, which would give many a budget soundbar a run for its money, if not a dedicated multichannel system. Whether these small advantages justify the difference in cost depends largely on the individual, which is of course why auditioning is important.

Are your GT50's vertical bands fading over time? If so, that's encouraging. I've read conflicting reports. Some owners say the bands disappeared eventually; others that the bands became more prominent. I didn't have the TV long enough to find out. I also didn't want to take the risk.

I'll be interested to know whether JL agree to an exchange. They may take the decision out of your hands. (I hope not. I think you're on relatively safe ground having bought from this retailer.)

mattmeer

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Can someone confirm if the vt60 (or gt60 or ZT) can play mkv files with the build in mediaplayer at 24p? I read somewhere the internal mediaplayer plays 24p movies at 60hz, something an external bluray player won't.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mattmeer said:
Can someone confirm if the vt60 (or gt60 or ZT) can play mkv files with the build in mediaplayer at 24p? I read somewhere the internal mediaplayer plays 24p movies at 60hz, something an external bluray player won't.

The VT65 certainly plays MKV files; though I honestly don't know whether the media player supports 24p. I'm guessing some kind of conversion would take place. (Probably 3:2 pulldown at 60Hz, since Panasonic TVs are optimised for the US market.) I'd check for you, but I'm afraid I don't have any such content.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
So Strapped, are you thinking that the GT60 would be good enough for me?

It's true that the the twin tuner and PVR functionality aren't essential for me, and if I do get rid of Sky, I have a good Echostar PVR in the bedroom I can use.

To be honest, I just want the best picture I can afford, and the VT looks like it edges the GT just. From what I can see from the reviews, the blacks are ever so slightly better than the GT's, and the reflective filter is slightly better too. The other difference that might make it worth buying for me, is the design, the VT definitely looks better than the GT.

So are those 3 points worth an extra £400-£500? I guess I'll just have to think about it. Plus, this is all dependent on JL saying they will exchange my GT of course.

Whle watching football yesterday, I genuinely could barely see the vertical banding, even when looking for it. So another option is to stick with the GT50 until the price of the GT60 and VT65 come down, then sell the GT50, and buy one of the other two.

Let's see whay JL have to say.

I wouldn't say the GT60 is "good enough for you." (That could sound insulting, which isn't my intention!) Rather, it's a question of which TV is most appropriate for your needs and budget.

Black levels are so close between GT60 and VT65 that it's not worth splitting hairs. The filter does a better job of holding on to those black levels under bright lighting or during the day; but if most of your viewing is in a batcave, this becomes less of a factor.

The VT65 is prettier than the GT60. I'm also genuinely surprised by the VT65's sound quality, which would give many a budget soundbar a run for its money, if not a dedicated multichannel system. Whether these small advantages justify the difference in cost depends largely on the individual, which is of course why auditioning is important.

Are your GT50's vertical bands fading over time? If so, that's encouraging. I've read conflicting reports. Some owners say the bands disappeared eventually; others that the bands became more prominent. I didn't have the TV long enough to find out. I also didn't want to take the risk.

I'll be interested to know whether JL agree to an exchange. They may take the decision out of your hands. (I hope not. I think you're on relatively safe ground having bought from this retailer.)

When I said "Good enough for me", I did mean, good enough for my needs, so if you'd have said that it was good enough, I would have taken it as the best tv for my needs.

Phew! That was a long sentence, but hopefully it made sense.

I'm not sure if the banding is fading, it could just be that when the sun is shining at the game, it's less visible. Just watched the derby game, and I really didn't notice anything untoward..

When I was in JL the other week (advising people to not buy the GT50
smile.png
), the JL guy did say that the banding problem could be resolved with the voltage setting in thetv being reduced. I actually had someone out to do this with my first plasma, a Samsung, but the problem was nothing like the banding, more bright, sparkling pixels in patches.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I think the banding is caused by either the panel itself or the way the panel is installed. Mine went off for repair and I didn't have the vertical lines, they replaced the panel and it did! That's the only repair they made

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

rocketrazor said:
I think the banding is caused by either the panel itself or the way the panel is installed. Mine went off for repair and I didn't have the vertical lines, they replaced the panel and it did! That's the only repair they made

I agree, it is a panel problem, and not one that can be rectified by a voltage adjustment.

To be honest, I'd annoyed the guy from JL by telling a potential buyer of the GT50 about the banding problem, so he was probably just thinking of something to appease the potential customer, and get rid of me.
smile.png

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hmm, not convinced the vertical bands are caused by a voltage issue.

You could ask an engineer to effect this change and see what influence it has. There's a broader question of whether a voltage change would have an effect on panel brightness and black level (i.e. a voltage reduction may have a detrimental effect on native contrast).

If you try this and the vertical bands are still present, you may have more bargaining power when requesting a refund or exchange. Acknowledgement of the fault would aid your cause. However, if an engineer looks at the TV and says it's "within specification," you may be in a more difficult position. It's tough to know how to play it.

I'm guessing you didn't call JL yet... :shame: :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
Hmm, not convinced the vertical bands are caused by a voltage issue.

You could ask an engineer to effect this change and see what influence it has. There's a broader question of whether a voltage change would have an effect on panel brightness and black level (i.e. a voltage reduction may have a detrimental effect on native contrast).

If you try this and the vertical bands are still present, you may have more bargaining power when requesting a refund or exchange. Acknowledgement of the fault would aid your cause. However, if an engineer looks at the TV and says it's "within specification," you may be in a more difficult position. It's tough to know how to play it.

I'm guessing you didn't call JL yet... :shame: :grin:

I have multiple personalities, I'm waiting for friendly but firm to appear.
grin.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I have multiple personalities, I'm waiting for friendly but firm to appear.
grin.gif

I can only speculate as to who's currently in charge!

My wife obviously.
grin.gif

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Pindi said:
mr malarky said:
Pindi said:
mr malarky said:
I'm seriously tempted to go for one, too.

Where are you buying it from, if you don't mind me asking?

Have ordered from Mark's Electricals in Leicester, £3,499 with free delivery and 5 year warrantee.

Not used them before though so fingers crossed they're ok (they get very good reviews on 'TrustPilot'), but will let everyone how it goes and whether any issues arise.

Most importantly, I broke the news to the mrs last night and, on balance, I'd say she took it rather well!

So that's the primary hurdle overcome, provided Marks don't let me down there should be a shiny new ZT here in a few weeks.

Happy days!

Apologies for not replying sooner...

That's a good price you got there. Any idea on a delivery date yet?

they're saying third week of May, but can't give a specific date yet.

noticed yesterday that they've put the price up to £3,999 on their website.

read the t&c's that came in the confirmation email after I'd paid the deposit, it says they reserve the right to increase the price prior to delivery if they have "made a mistake" with the website price (and refund the deposit if the customer doesn't want to pay the higher price).

could be an interesting few weeks, not counting any chickens now until it turns up!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
My wife obviously.
grin.gif

That was my first guess, though I wondered whether grouchy and irresolute BBB was in the driving seat.* :grin:

*NB: these are not adjectives I'd typically use to describe your good self. (Well, maybe the latter, but it would be kinder to observe that you're pressed for time.) ;)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:

read the t&c's that came in the confirmation email after I'd paid the deposit, it says they reserve the right to increase the price prior to delivery if they have "made a mistake" with the website price (and refund the deposit if the customer doesn't want to pay the higher price).

could be an interesting few weeks, not counting any chickens now until it turns up!

That potentially complicates matters. What will you do if the retailer insists on the higher price?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:

That potentially complicates matters. What will you do if the retailer insists on the higher price?

Cant justify £4k, so will cancel the order. The Panasonic north site is still advertising at £3,799, and we have a Panasonic store near work, so if Marks do play silly-buggers will go in there and see if I can haggle them down to £3,700 - could just about live with that (if I don't think about it too much).

Have heart set on it now so really don't want to abandon the plan unless I have to.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Cant justify £4k, so will cancel the order. The Panasonic north site is still advertising at £3,799, and we have a Panasonic store near work, so if Marks do play silly-buggers will go in there and see if I can haggle them down to £3,700 - could just about live with that (if I don't think about it too much).

Have heart set on it now so really don't want to abandon the plan unless I have to.

Hopefully that'll all work out. It would be a little underhand for the retailer to agree on a price yet change their mind at the last minute.

D

Deleted member 2457

mr malarky said:
strapped for cash said:
mr malarky said:

You can get the ZT65 on here for £3300:

http://www.hylands.tv/Panasonic%2055%20super%20large%20screen.htm

Comes with a 6 year warranty too, it appears to be a Panasonic shop of sorts, the price may be less in the actual shop.
smiley-wink.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
My wife obviously.
grin.gif

That was my first guess, though I wondered whether grouchy and irresolute BBB was in the driving seat.* :grin:

*NB: these are not adjectives I'd typically use to describe your good self. (Well, maybe the latter, but it would be kinder to observe that you're pressed for time.) ;)

Not sure if that's me.
grin.gif

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
You can get the ZT65 on here for £3300:

http://www.hylands.tv/Panasonic%2055%20super%20large%20screen.htm

Comes with a 6 year warranty too, it appears to be a Panasonic shop of sorts, the price may be less in the actual shop.
smiley-wink.gif

[/quote]

Thanks for this Gel, will keep a note of that, good to have a plan B! They don't deliver down south, but for that price I could afford to hire a van and drive up there. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

Another review. Makes some good points, I think he talks a lot of waffle too.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-txp60zt65b-201305062961.htm?page=Performance

D

Deleted member 2457

Anyone up for a demo in Leicester:

http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=7749.0

gel said:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-txp60zt65b-201305062961.htm?page=Performance

Interesting! They're the only people talking about "single scan 3D". I never knew you could have different resolutions on the same picture!! Is this even possible?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Looks like any differences over the VT range are only marginal, which I suspect will cause many to question the price differential and go for the 65" VT if they have the space.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Hi Gel. Hmmm, it's quite detailed I suppose, but I'm not sure which bits you regard as waffle?

mr malarky said:
Looks like any differences over the VT range are only marginal, which I suspect will cause many to question the price differential and go for the 65" VT if they have the space.

I don't doubt that the ZT is slightly better still, but for me, bigger is better, and I won't be going down from a 64" Samsung to a 60" ZT65 no matter how good the ZT65 is. Particularly as I'm sure that the 65VT65 will itself be fantastic when AVForums review it, as they said they soon would. I do have the space. And no wife!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts