Two full UK reviews of the Panasonic TX-P65VT65B plasma

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
AVForums last night published their full online review, here

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P65VT65B-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-3D-Plasma-Television-Review_535/Review.html

To cut a long story short, they rate it "Reference" and say they would choose it over a 60ZT65.

In all fairness, I must mention a very good but slightly qualified review on page 58 of the current (July 2013, number 222) issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine. It's not online yet, but the physical magazine thudded onto my mat on Friday 24th May, so it should certainly be in good newsagents by now. They like it, but say it's not perfect, oddly enough the same comment that had featured in their previous month's review of the Samsung PS64F8500. And HCC magazine also complained about the poorly-chosen picture presets on both the Panasonic TX-P65VT65 and the Samsung PS64F8500.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
AVForums last night published their full online review, here

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P65VT65B-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-3D-Plasma-Television-Review_535/Review.html

To cut a long story short, they rate it "Reference" and say they would choose it over a 60ZT65.

In all fairness, I must mention a very good but slightly qualified review on page 58 of the current (July 2013, number 222) issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine. It's not online yet, but the physical magazine thudded onto my mat on Friday 24th May, so it should certainly be in good newsagents by now. They like it, but say it's not perfect, oddly enough the same comment that had featured in their previous month's review of the Samsung PS64F8500. And HCC magazine also complained about the poorly-chosen picture presets on both the Panasonic TX-P65VT65 and the Samsung PS64F8500.

Nice one, cheers. What did HCC say they didn't like about it?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Most specifically the picture presets, in all modes, which have once again been set to make the panel darker and more dynamic than ever before, but the engineers have gone too far this time. Images are dark with crushed blacks and greys alive with pixel noise. However, choosing the new Custom setting enables access to the Panel Luminance control, the reduction of which from High to Mid or preferably to Low brings immediate relief. Oh, and they mention the fan noise, as indeed does the AVForums review. How irritating the fan noise is will vary between individuals.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Most specifically the picture presets, in all modes, which have once again been set to make the panel darker and more dynamic than ever before, but the engineers have gone too far this time. Images are dark with crushed blacks and greys alive with pixel noise. However, choosing the new Custom setting enables access to the Panel Luminance control, the reduction of which from High to Mid or preferably to Low brings immediate relief. Oh, and they mention the fan noise, as indeed does the AVForums review. How irritating the fan noise is will vary between individuals.

The Professional modes also have a panel luminance control. However, the Professional modes clip whites at anything over 40 percent contrast. I doubt this makes any real world difference; we're talking about so-called "whiter than white" shades here.

After much viewing, I've concluded that the Custom mode offers the best all round picture. To my eye, images are more stable with less noise. The differences are subtle; perhaps it's a placebo effect; but I prefer watching using Custom, once contrast and brightness are properly adjusted. Full calibration controls are present, too, so in principle the Custom mode can be dialled in just as accurately as the Professional modes.

I'm guessing HCC didn't mention the two vertical shadows, equidistant from the middle of the screen. They're occasionally visible on fast panning shots, especially on light coloured backgrounds. If you're watching a programme where there are constant pans across magnolia walls, the shadows can get a touch irritating.

I've had my TV for five weeks now and the honeymoon period is over. While I wish the VT65 was free of these minor annoyances, any TV I could trade in for would have its own idiosyncrasies.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I will let you know how good the 65" is SonofSJ in a few weeks once I have had a chance to play with it - its coming today!

I will be calibrating it after a few hours then once every couple of weeks until she settles down and I can squeeza tghe max performance out of it.

I think they say in that the extra screen size / lower cost is better than the slightly better picture, but thats personal obviously - depends if you want the absolute best or not.

I find though in that review the settings he has used to cal it are odd - he is running a high contrast of 70, but then reducing green cut off to -10.

Now my undertsanding is the green is luminance i.e. brightness i.e. contrast - so he is boosting then reducing? Makes no sense to me to do it that way unless he wanted a certain ftl light output?

D

Deleted member 2457

Pindi said:

Wow! Great deal.
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
I will let you know how good the 65" is SonofSJ in a few weeks once I have had a chance to play with it - its coming today!

I will be calibrating it after a few hours then once every couple of weeks until she settles down and I can squeeza tghe max performance out of it.

I think they say in that the extra screen size / lower cost is better than the slightly better picture, but thats personal obviously - depends if you want the absolute best or not.

I find though in that review the settings he has used to cal it are odd - he is running a high contrast of 70, but then reducing green cut off to -10.

Now my undertsanding is the green is luminance i.e. brightness i.e. contrast - so he is boosting then reducing? Makes no sense to me to do it that way unless he wanted a certain ftl light output?

Can you give us little updates on how you are getting on? And what you think to it? Cheers

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Its here at last - delivery driver said I am here to deliver your portable

The box is huge!

Waiting for some help now - not sure if thats more torturous than waiting for it to arrive

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/7310/dsc02707a.jpg

PS that will be the last time the baby touches it for several years at least :)

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:

The box is huge!

Waiting for some help now - not sure if thats more torturous than waiting for it to arrive

Erm, is that child not in imment danger of being crushed by a very large telly???

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:

The box is huge!

Wow! Cheers for the image.
smiley-smile.gif
Much appreciated.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Are there any programmes with constant pans across magnolia walls?

In what way is the honeymoon period over?

Hi Ben,

Substitute "constant" for "frequent" and there are many. (It was past midnight when I posted.)

I'm familiar enough with the TV to clearly recognise its flaws, which isn't the same as requesting a divorce.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:

The box is huge!

I'm interested to hear how you think it compares with the 5090. If you get time, please post to give us your early impressions.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:

Just read the HCC review, only four stars, they did have a bit of a gripe with it!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:

The box is huge!

Cute photo :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

Hi Ben,

Substitute "constant" for "frequent" and there are many. (It was past midnight when I posted.)

:grin: I still can't think of any! Wondering if I watch any without realising, what were you thinking of?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

Hi Ben,

:grin: I still can't think of any! Wondering if I watch any without realising, what were you thinking of?

maybe strapped is a homes under the hammer fan :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
BenLaw said:
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

Hi Ben,

maybe strapped is a homes under the hammer fan :)

That's what I'm wondering....

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Homes Under the Hammer; Escape to the Country; May the Best House Win; Property Ladder; Secret Agent; Four in a Bed. There are further examples.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with fandom, but if I'm home during the day there's a seemingly endless stream of programmes filled with panning shots across magnolia interior walls.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Homes Under the Hammer; Escape to the Country; May the Best House Win; Property Ladder; Secret Agent; Four in a Bed. There are further examples.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with fandom, but if I'm home during the day there's a seemingly endless stream of programmes filled with panning shots across magnolia interior walls.

:grin: Mostly not my thing. I don't mind a bit of Secret Agent, although I thought most of the pans are over brown or green walls, or something similarly hideous.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
strapped for cash said:

:grin: Mostly not my thing. I don't mind a bit of Secret Agent, although I thought most of the pans are over brown or green walls, or something similarly hideous.

you wouldn't like my decor then, got lots of green and browns!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Just read the HCC review, only four stars, they did have a bit of a gripe with it!

And the previous month, HCC gave the Samsung PS64F8500 five stars!

Only this afternoon has something occurred to me, otherwise I would have mentioned it when I started the thread. The Home Cineama Choice magazine review complains about the presets, saying " .... but you can't rely on any of the presets, which has to be considered a disappointment ....". Yet, the AVForums online review, in the second paragraph of the early Summary section, says "The out-of-the-box settings were excellent". These statements cannot both be right!

TRENDING THREADS