Today - What Hi-Fi and AVForums reviews of the Panasonic 65CZ952B 4K OLED

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Somebody asked Steve Withers which television (actually, that was earlier today on the AVForums website, by a member who rejoices in the name 5to1) which amongst several new ones over the last few months he would buy. This is the a copy of the post:

"Thanks for the review and participating in the thread. Not sure if you answer this type of question, but given current pricing (I know we only have RRP of Panny), where would your money go?

Sony 75X94C @ £6k
LG 65EG9600 or 65EF9500 @ £4300 (incl 10% Quidco and £300 off with TV300)
LG 65EC970V @ £3599 (Costco, also someone got Richer Sounds to price match)
Sammy UE65JS9500 @ £4500 (At Richer Sounds - courtesy of SonOfSJ)
Panny 65CZ950 @ £7500 (lets assume the street price will be atleast £500 below RRP to be fair)

Given you're a Kuro owner you're probably as close to the target market as most others. And you have had hands on with all 3."

I added to the list the excellent Samsung UE65JS9500.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Steve Withers replied thus:

"Well the X94C is certainly tempting with its recent price reductions but that's still a lot of money and that screen size is just too big for me, especially when you factor in the speakers. However the picture is great, it's highly accurate, it's very future proof and if you're a gamer it has a really low input lag. The downside is that the viewing angles are limited and Sony's menus and smart platform are a complete dog's dinner this year.

The JS9500 is excellent as well, good price, low input lag, future proof, very accurate and great smart platform and menus. The downsides are limited viewing angles and occasional banding where the LEDs are behind the panel, plus it's curved if you're not into that.

In the case of the LG OLEDs I'd be very tempted by the EG960 despite its issues but more likely to go for the EF950 because I'd rather have a flat screen. However I haven't actually seen the latter TV properly yet but that's a really good price. Personally I wouldn't go for the EC970 because it can't be calibrated properly.

As much as I love the Panasonic, I would find it very hard to justify the extra £3,000 to £4,000 in cost compared to the improvements in performance.

However everyone has different priorities and appreciates different things, so I strongly recommend demo any TV, especially when you're thinking of spending anywhere from £3,599 to £7,999."

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
to be fair - to review this TV now is folly because until you can feed it 10bit and 4k content from a true source, not just clips or BT TV its not really a fair review because you have no idea really how good it is. That is the same for all similar tv's I suppose though.

When being fed this type of content the differencees between the Panny and LG's might be quite a bit larger or smaller for that matter.

This TV I think should be reviewed again when the UHD Blu Ray players are out maybe in a shootout against an equivalent LG - that would be very interesting for consumers to see / read.

Maybe at the TV shootout even whenever that is

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
to be fair - to review this TV now is folly because until you can feed it 10bit and 4k content from a true source, not just clips or BT TV its not really a fair review because you have no idea really how good it is. That is the same for all similar tv's I suppose though.

When being fed this type of content the differencees between the Panny and LG's might be quite a bit larger or smaller for that matter.

This TV I think should be reviewed again when the UHD Blu Ray players are out maybe in a shootout against an equivalent LG - that would be very interesting for consumers to see / read.

Maybe at the TV shootout even whenever that is
Agreed.

D

Deleted member 2457

Flat version coming:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/panasonic-announces-oled-pricing-affordable-in-two-to-three-years/

D

Deleted member 2457

https://www.hsound.co.uk/panasonic-oled-gordon-fraser/

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
his dudeness said:
i mean the tv,lgs 2016 range announced at ces,the panny was always overpriced.

But still new and going off the review the best tv out there. I am guessing the LG's will be the same or maybe more expensive.

PS

Not sure where you are coming from is there a time limit on reviews?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
With the LG signature hitting the UHD 4k spec the panny could be out of date before its even sold. Should push it's price down though

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
With the LG signature hitting the UHD 4k spec the panny could be out of date before its even sold. Should push it's price down though
Yep, cheapest you can still buy it's £7500!

D

Deleted member 2457

Has anyone actually demoed this TV yet? *smile*. I haven't.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
How much better is than the LG OLED TVs?

Stop right there fella. *stop*

We know where this line of questioning leads! *smile*
*biggrin*. I have already asked about a price match!

TRENDING THREADS