Trusted Reviews reviews of the Samsung UBD-K8500 and Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Some people prefer them.

Handy if you have an older (possibly boutique, small manufacturer, i.e. quite expensive) 7.1 receiver without all the latest sound codecs.

You can route the front left and right directly to a hi-fi (pre)amp.

etc.

Personally, though, I like the idea of being able to hook up a 2 terabyte hard disk full of my old UK DVDs and Blu-Rays directly to the player without the need for a HTPC.

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
Some people prefer them.

Handy if you have an older (possibly boutique, small manufacturer, i.e. quite expensive) 7.1 receiver without all the latest sound codecs.

You can route the front left and right directly to a hi-fi (pre)amp.

etc.

Personally, though, I like the idea of being able to hook up a 2 terabyte hard disk full of my old UK DVDs and Blu-Rays directly to the player without the need for a HTPC.
Does the American version have Dolby Vision?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
According to avsforumm.com, the Panasonic hits shelves in the US in September, price $700.

http://www.avsforum.com/panasonic-ub900-uhd-blu-ray-player-pricing-avail...

It seems to have a lot more bells'n'whistles than the Samsung, including 4:4:4 colour, 7.1 analogue audio outputs, and the ability to stream audio and video from hard discs up to 2 terabytes.

Sounds good to me. Glad I waited.

Can't figure that out. But since none of our TVs have Dolby Vision, and since Dolby Vision hasn't been taken up by anyone other than LG or Vizio (as far as I know), that doesn't bother me.

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
gel said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
According to avsforumm.com, the Panasonic hits shelves in the US in September, price $700.

http://www.avsforum.com/panasonic-ub900-uhd-blu-ray-player-pricing-avail...

It seems to have a lot more bells'n'whistles than the Samsung, including 4:4:4 colour, 7.1 analogue audio outputs, and the ability to stream audio and video from hard discs up to 2 terabytes.

Sounds good to me. Glad I waited.

Can't figure that out. But since none of our TVs have Dolby Vision, and since Dolby Vision hasn't been taken up by anyone other than LG or Vizio (as far as I know), that doesn't bother me.
Ah okay, just checking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts