Blu-ray Discs freezing and refusing to play

dave63

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been having an issue with Blu-ray Discs freezing and refusing to play beyond a certain point which really makes no sense. This started happening repeatedly with my previous Blu-ray player (a Sony, BDP-S7200), only Blu-rays, never DVDs, and always around 70min into the film. I also found that various home made DVDs wouldn’t play at all either, though they do in my 4K player.
I put this down to the player, which was about 8yrs old by then and recently replaced it with a new 4K player (Sony UBP X800M2). I have also now had 2 Blu-ray Discs (Layer Cake and Star Trek First Contact) freeze, in both cases at around 70min elapsed time, exactly the same as happened in each case with my earlier Blu-ray player (so far this hasn’t happened with any of the 4K discs I’ve bought) and refuse to play beyond that point.
In all cases the blu-rays are in perfect condition, little played with no marks or blemishes. It seems impossible that all these discs would coincidentally malfunction exactly the same amount of time into playing, or that the same would happen with two different players. The only other constant is the AVR they both played through, a Sony STR-DN1080, via the ARC connection. I have no idea how an AVR could cause discs to freeze and refuse to play from a certain point, as is happening here, but I am finding it hard to believe the discs (or the 2 disc players) are at fault. I can’t believe I’m the only experiencing something like this.
Grateful for any ideas or suggestions to resolve. Many thanks

I understand why you’re puzzled. I would be too!

I was initially going to ask if you’d ever used a lens cleaner on the 8 year old machine, (I like the Allsop ones) but then you found problems with the new device too. Can you ask your dealer to try those discs? Or a friend/neighbour?

Last edited:
Reactions: Arron

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
I have been having an issue with Blu-ray Discs freezing and refusing to play beyond a certain point which really makes no sense. This started happening repeatedly with my previous Blu-ray player (a Sony, BDP-S7200), only Blu-rays, never DVDs, and always around 70min into the film. I also found that various home made DVDs wouldn’t play at all either, though they do in my 4K player.
I put this down to the player, which was about 8yrs old by then and recently replaced it with a new 4K player (Sony UBP X800M2). I have also now had 2 Blu-ray Discs (Layer Cake and Star Trek First Contact) freeze, in both cases at around 70min elapsed time, exactly the same as happened in each case with my earlier Blu-ray player (so far this hasn’t happened with any of the 4K discs I’ve bought) and refuse to play beyond that point.
In all cases the blu-rays are in perfect condition, little played with no marks or blemishes. It seems impossible that all these discs would coincidentally malfunction exactly the same amount of time into playing, or that the same would happen with two different players. The only other constant is the AVR they both played through, a Sony STR-DN1080, via the ARC connection. I have no idea how an AVR could cause discs to freeze and refuse to play from a certain point, as is happening here, but I am finding it hard to believe the discs (or the 2 disc players) are at fault. I can’t believe I’m the only experiencing something like this.
Grateful for any ideas or suggestions to resolve. Many thanks
Do the discs play if you start them 60mins in?

If the discs don't play, you know it's the discs.
If the discs do play, you know it's the player.

If the discs do play but then fail another 70mins in, my first instinct would be to look for a heat problem. With it happening to two different players, it may be they're overheating and shutting down.

Lens cleaner discs are fine for CD & DVD players, but don't use them on Blu-ray or 4K players as they can damage the lens.
This video may also help.

Bill

Bill, I see there is a different model for Blu-ray,though I hadn’t ever seen that mentioned before. Thanks for the correction.

It is mentioned at the end of the description here. All that said, I think I’ve only ever used on my CD and older DVD player, but important for the OP to get the right product.

Newer product…

Allsop CleanDR Laser Lens Cleaner for Blu-Ray/XBOX 2017/18 https://amzn.eu/d/3BiwwpQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts