Trusted Reviews reviews of the Samsung UBD-K8500 and Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Bigboss, any thoughts on both of these players, based upon the Trusted Reviews and also on the AVForums reviews of them? I know which of the two I would go for if I had a HDR capable televison, but I'm keen to hear your thoughts .... of course, I can't see my having enough money to buy my Sony KD-75XD9405 until late 2017 at the earliest, so who knows what 4K Blu-ray players would be available by then?

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Bigboss, any thoughts on both of these players, based upon the Trusted Reviews and also on the AVForums reviews of them? I know which of the two I would go for if I had a HDR capable televison, but I'm keen to hear your thoughts .... of course, I can't see my having enough money to buy my Sony KD-75XD9405 until late 2017 at the earliest, so who knows what 4K Blu-ray players would be available by then?
Personally, I would wait until more players come out and price comes down to sensible levels. With time, we will know more about issues with them.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
simonlewis said:
The panasonic DMP-UB900 is currently having problems with sound drop outs despite their being a V1.03 firmware update today.

Thats for Dolby Atmos enabled discs.

Only ony guy complaining though, Manni01, but a bit early to say one way or another, it was the mockjay blu-ray disc that he complained about the sound drop out.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Personally, I would wait until more players come out and price comes down to sensible levels. With time, we will know more about issues with them.

Sensible price levels, eh? Mind you, you're talking to the man who five years ago bought an Oppo 95 for £900 ........ for 4K, I'd probably wait until Cambridge Audio produce a 4K version of their excellent CXU spinner http://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audio/cxu/review. Yes, I expect that that would cost about the same as the existing machine, so about £900 or maybe £1,000, but a 4K Blu-ray machine isn't something that I'd buy very often, realistically with finances and age I can see myself buying only two, for the parlour and kitchen. But of the existing two machines, I'd certainly go for the Panasonic, which is only about £150 more than the 1080p version, the already splendid BDT700. For me, a necessary feature of a 4K Blu-ray player would be twin HDMI outputs, because I probably won't be able to upgrade my receivers to make them 4K, HDR and 3D capable, so I would need a player with two HDMI outputs - HDMI 1 directly to the television or projector (that'll be television, then!) and HDMI 2 carrying HD audio to my receiver.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
How do I select the ultra HD Colour picture setting on my TV HDMI then? Panasonic OLED 65cz952?

I don't know enough about the Panasonic 65CZ952 to be able to say, Gel. Have you asked on the owner's thread on AVForums? I thought anyway that you had sold it on eBay on Saturday??

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
How do I select the ultra HD Colour picture setting on my TV HDMI then? Panasonic OLED 65cz952?

I don't know enough about the Panasonic 65CZ952 to be able to say, Gel. Have you asked on the owner's thread on AVForums? I thought anyway that you had sold it on eBay on Saturday??
I don't think I did. Sold it now though and the LG I am buying definitely has it, although on the LG 55eg960v it didn't matter much!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Would be interested to know what receiver(s) and TV(s) you used for the head-to-head. Some people on another forum seem to think you used different ones for each UHD-BDP. Seems odd that you would, given that you were doing a head-to-head, but still.... (PS yes, this is the country where they love a good consipiracy theory, but.....)

Also, when you wrote about the sound being superior on the Panasonic, were you comparing audio over the HDMI(s) or fibre-optics or both? And did you take advantage of the Panasonic's co-axial digital audio output and / or 7.1 line-level outputs in your comparison? Which option on each device sounded best?

FWIW the Samsung is the only one on sale in the USA as of today, but they're everywhere and presumably selling like hot cakes. And yes, they do look cheap and nasty. Nothing, really, to distinguish them for a regular 50-quid Samsung BDP.

I'm waiting for the second wave / generation, though, before I make the investment. Let someone else sort out all the gremlins.

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
Would be interested to know what receiver(s) and TV(s) you used for the head-to-head. Some people on another forum seem to think you used different ones for each UHD-BDP. Seems odd that you would, given that you were doing a head-to-head, but still.... (PS yes, this is the country where they love a good consipiracy theory, but.....)

Also, when you wrote about the sound being superior on the Panasonic, were you comparing audio over the HDMI(s) or fibre-optics or both? And did you take advantage of the Panasonic's co-axial digital audio output and / or 7.1 line-level outputs in your comparison? Which option on each device sounded best?

FWIW the Samsung is the only one on sale in the USA as of today, but they're everywhere and presumably selling like hot cakes. And yes, they do look cheap and nasty. Nothing, really, to distinguish them for a regular 50-quid Samsung BDP.

I'm waiting for the second wave / generation, though, before I make the investment. Let someone else sort out all the gremlins.
Which TV have you got again?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
gel said:

Slightly fewer than you *crazy*

We've got a 2013 era Samsung 6 series 60 inch 4K hung on the wall I can't remember the model number of in the media room (first in line to replace the ageing Panasonic plasma and be replaced with a 4K PJ - see later), a Samsung 55-inch 8500 series 4K in the living room, a 48 inch Samsung 6700 series (curved - shudder) in the master bedroom, each of the brats has a 1080p Samsung smart TV in their rooms, we've got a 32 inch Samsung 1080p smart TV in one guest bedroom, a Vizio (I think) 32-inch 1080p stupd TV in the other guest bedroom, a Samsung 28 inch 1080p dumb as a rock TV in the kitchen, and a nearly antique Panasonic 60 inch 1080p plasma in the games room. Oh, and a 40 inch Haier 1080p dumb TV in our rental house as well. And the wife has two in the breakroom and conference room at her business (both dumb 1080p).

So, if I'm counting right, that makes twelve, of which three are 4K.

We once took TWELVE 12 to 15 inch CRT portables to the local Sally Army drop-off. They're probably doing 25 to life in Huntsville right now.

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
gel said:

Slightly fewer than you *crazy*

We've got a 2013 era Samsung 6 series 60 inch 4K hung on the wall I can't remember the model number of in the media room (first in line to replace the ageing Panasonic plasma and be replaced with a 4K PJ - see later), a Samsung 55-inch 8500 series 4K in the living room, a 48 inch Samsung 6700 series (curved - shudder) in the master bedroom, each of the brats has a 1080p Samsung smart TV in their rooms, we've got a 32 inch Samsung 1080p smart TV in one guest bedroom, a Vizio (I think) 32-inch 1080p stupd TV in the other guest bedroom, a Samsung 28 inch 1080p dumb as a rock TV in the kitchen, and a nearly antique Panasonic 60 inch 1080p plasma in the games room. Oh, and a 40 inch Haier 1080p dumb TV in our rental house as well. And the wife has two in the breakroom and conference room at her business (both dumb 1080p).

So, if I'm counting right, that makes twelve, of which three are 4K.

We once took TWELVE 12 to 15 inch CRT portables to the local Sally Army drop-off. They're probably doing 25 to life in Huntsville right now.
Ah nice one! Which brand do you think you will go for when you buy a 4k blu ray player?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Only the Samsung is currently available in the US.
I'd probably be happy to buy a second generation Samsung for the living room, but will probably wait for an Oppo or Marantz for the media room.

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
Only the Samsung is currently available in the US. I'd probably be happy to buy a second generation Samsung for the living room, but will probably wait for an Oppo or Marantz for the media room.
thumbs_up.gif

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
According to avsforumm.com, the Panasonic hits shelves in the US in September, price $700.

http://www.avsforum.com/panasonic-ub900-uhd-blu-ray-player-pricing-availability/

It seems to have a lot more bells'n'whistles than the Samsung, including 4:4:4 colour, 7.1 analogue audio outputs, and the ability to stream audio and video from hard discs up to 2 terabytes.

Sounds good to me. Glad I waited.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts