AVForums reviews of the Samsung UBD-K8500 and Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy said:
In Gels defence; there are a lot of people having a go at him and ridiculing him on his erratic behaviour.

this is a sign of depression and OCD and everyone just needs to chill out with him and let it flow. It's probably his only outlet to communicating to the outside world.

to be honest, he can buy as many 4K players or TVs as he wants, it doesn't bother me in any way, although, this is not healthy for him. So we can all do something positive and support him through his difficult times.

i must admit a lot of comments against Gell can be, dare I say come across as bullying...

The intention is not to bully him, but hopefully make him realise the foolishness of his behaviour sometimes. We've tried in the past engaging with him and advising, but on many occasions he has gone against the advice he has been given then come back here asking for a solution. However, of late he's been lashing out more frequently, and noticeably irrationally, seemingly without any real cause.

There's also the small matter of 'if one chooses to live one's life in public, then one must take the brickbats as well as the bouquets': I'm not condoning abuse in any form, but if you can't take a bit of teasing and good-natured p-taking, then you probably shouldn't have joined.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
Series1boy said:
In Gels defence; there are a lot of people having a go at him and ridiculing him on his erratic behaviour.

this is a sign of depression and OCD and everyone just needs to chill out with him and let it flow. It's probably his only outlet to communicating to the outside world.

to be honest, he can buy as many 4K players or TVs as he wants, it doesn't bother me in any way, although, this is not healthy for him. So we can all do something positive and support him through his difficult times.

i must admit a lot of comments against Gell can be, dare I say come across as bullying...

The intention is not to bully him, but hopefully make him realise the foolishness of his behaviour sometimes. We've tried in the past engaging with him and advising, but on many occasions he has gone against the advice he has been given then come back here asking for a solution. However, of late he's been lashing out more frequently, and noticeably irrationally, seemingly without any real cause.

There's also the small matter of 'if one chooses to live one's life in public, then one must take the brickbats as well as the bouquets': I'm not condoning abuse in any form, but if you can't take a bit of teasing and good-natured p-taking, then you probably shouldn't have joined.

you and anyone can say what you want to me and if you read my post, im talking about the grief Gel is recieving. To be honest, you are 1 of those dishing out the grief that you call teasing.

you are very patronising and I've seen you in various other posts with comments that are simply not acceptable but you seem to think is funny.

I enjoy banter, fun etc. However my this is all getting out of hand!

oh, and so what that he doesn't take your or anyone's advice; there is no need to keep reminding him hues made a mistake.... I suppose this is how you deal with people, I told you so kind of attitude pfffft!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy, if Gel hadn’t written his post #3, I wouldn’t have responded, in what I still think is a fairly measured way, in post #10. And if Gel hadn’t called me a smart-ass in post #12, I wouldn’t have written my slightly lengthy post #16.

Yes, I realise that Gel has his problems, but that doesn’t allow him to be rude about other people without attracting comment.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Series1boy, if Gel hadn’t written his post #3, I wouldn’t have responded, in what I still think is a fairly measured way, in post #10. And if Gel hadn’t called me a smart-ass in post #12, I wouldn’t have written my slightly lengthy post #16.

Yes, I realise that Gel has his problems, but that doesn’t allow him to be rude about other people without attracting comment.

i agree gel was out of order calling you a smart ass. However, it's obvious he is struggling with things and he didn't call you a smart ass for nothing.

ive said what I needed to say, so let's all move on and leave the lad alone. ;)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy said:
you and anyone can say what you want to me

Thank you. How kind.

Series1boy said:
if you read my post

I did read it: I find it makes responding so much simpler.

Series1boy said:
im talking about the grief Gel is recieving. To be honest, you are 1 of those dishing out the grief that you call teasing.

I don't think gel is getting 'grief': he has been on here long enough to know the lie of the land, and I and many others have tried to help and advise him over many years. However, it's not acceptable for him to suddenly turn on people, swearing and ranting.

Series1boy said:
you are very patronising and I've seen you in various other posts with comments that are simply not acceptable but you seem to think is funny.

What is and isn't acceptable is really not for you to say. What you choose to accept or take exception to is your problem.

Series1boy said:
I suppose this is how you deal with people, I told you so kind of attitude pfffft!

I so wish I understood that sentence.

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers Seriesboy, I agree with everything you said, from now on I am ignoring the above. Let's see how they like that, keep trolling me. They are not my friends anyway, they are just irritating part of the forum.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Son_of_SJ said:

i agree gel was out of order calling you a smart ass. However, it's obvious he is struggling with things and he didn't call you a smart ass for nothing.

I am just ignoring them mate, they don't like that. *smile*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Good!

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
Son_of_SJ said:

Good!
*good*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Today's podcast discusses the two 4K Blu-ray players, from 7 minutes 45 seconds in to 20 minutes 14 seconds, https://www.avforums.com/threads/avforums-podcast-18th-april-2016.2024262/.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
What a load of crap!

Son_of_SJ said:
I don't know which review it is you don't like, but I suspect that there is something very wrong with your setup for you - alone - to disagree so violently with such a respected source as Steve Withers. But moderation isn't your strong point.

gel said:
Canary Jules has confirmed to me the Samsung is utter rubbish and so has another member - smart ass!

Oh, I didn't realise that you had a personal hotline to the calibrator Dr Julian Scott, and also to the unnamed other member. I would be astonished if Dr Julian Scott had put in writing that the Samsung 4K Blu-ray player is "utter rubbish", because, among many other people, LG (who are - as of this week anyway - your favourite television manufacturer) themselves have been using the Samsung 4K Blu-ray player to demonstrate the new 2016 OLED televisions. Still, if you think that you, with your spectacular mood swings and completely unrestrained extremes of vocabulary, know better than LG, then I must doubt you no further. The only trouble with putting in writing on the internet (where it is preserved for ever more and can be held up against you in the future) that Mr Steve Withers's careful reviews of products are "a load of crap" is that people have long memories, and people tend not to be forgiving. Feel free to ignore any advice, in your Milton Keynes coccoon. As for calling me a "smart ass" - well, at least I'm not the one didn't heed well-meant advice and bought a Panasonic 4K OLED television and then tried - and so far, failed - to sell it only five weeks later at a loss of about £1,500 (when you factor in the value of your old LG 55EA980W television which you had to almost give away as part of the ill-fated deal). That's really smart behaviour - not.
*biggrin* . Well I can confirm he did say it.
And spending £2000 on a Sony is hardly smart either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts