Today - What Hi-Fi and AVForums reviews of the Panasonic 65CZ952B 4K OLED

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
As the machine has now actually been tested, I thought that it was worth starting a new thread (rather than continuing the previous thread which had been one of very keen anticipation). I've also taken the liberty of copying and pasting the postings of Rocketrazor, Gel and Strapped for Cash that appeared at the end of the anticipatory thread.

The first one was from Rocketrazor at 16:09

rocketrazor said:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
This from Strapped for Cash at 18:47

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

I'm intrigued, if the TX-65CZ952B produces "one of the best [pictures] we've seen," which TVs offer comparable or better performance?

The comments on MLL are strange, too. This television and other OLEDs don't produce "plasma-like black levels," but absolute black rather than very dark grey.

I'm not arguing wth the rating; the mag has always factored price into its reviews (Oppo BDPs being pertinent examples) and the Panny OLED is prohibitively expensive.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
This again from Strapped for Cash at 19:02

strapped for cash said:
The AVF review is up, too.

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-65cz952b-cz952-ultra-hd-4k-oled-tv-review.11988

Reference performance post-calibration, with a few minor niggles:

Very slight (much improved) vignetting just above black (though otherwise no uniformity problems).

Not so good in terms of input lag.

Cannot reproduce full DCI colourspace (though no issues meeting Rec.709).

This is still the best ever consumer television. Shame you need a Premiership footballer's salary to afford one.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Having read both the informative What Hi-Fi review and the more technically detailed AVForums one, I still won't be getting this Panasonic 4K OLED. Yesterday I had a chat with my pensions adviser, and it now does really look as if I'll be getting some money in around three months' time, around £10,000. But though tremendous, it's the wrong size for me. And, too expensive. I notice that some other very top televisions - Samsung 65JS9500, Sony 75X9405C - are now fully £1,500 cheaper than they were in about June, so let's hope, for those interested in maybe buying one, that this Panasonic also reduces in price with time.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy said:
I want 1 but not at this price. I hope they bring out a flat panel version and it comes down in price. I think I'd go up to 4K max.

Yes, many other people will want a flat version, although the curve on this particular panel isn't too strong. Yes, I think that it will come down in price. No, at about £4K you're probably looking at at 55-inch version.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
[/quote]

No, at about £4K you're probably looking at at 55-inch version.

[/quote]

i agree, 55" may be only the choice the price I want to pay.

I think you'll miss those plasma blacks if you go for an LCD ...

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Yes. Flat version for me too. What really put me off was the high input lag, cause am a gamer. Apart from that I think many would want one of these if & when the price comes dwn.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Yes. Flat version for me too. What really put me off was the high input lag, cause am a gamer. Apart from that I think many would want one of these if & when the price comes dwn.

im not a gamer so I'm fine with this. But I'll probably end up with a cheaper lg version although I'm also hoping that LG get the sh** together with the tint problems and dodgy blacks :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
strapped for cash said:
Thanks for grouping the appropriate posts.

No problem, sir. I had wanted to be the first person to see the online reviews but you and Rocketrazor got there first, damn! *smile*

Well, an itchy trigger finger and some skim reading meant I was first to post the AVF link here.

One thing I forgot to mention, which is good news if you enjoy the occasional foray into the third dimension, is that the Panny OLED offers true 1080p passive 3-D (I'd assumed, like Samsung and Sony, they'd stick with active 3-D). It's not something many people are interested in discussing, but passive 3-D on a calibrated Panasonic should be spectacular.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I suppose many would be looking at better versions from LG with reduced prices. How bad is the dark scenes problems with LG. If managable may look into the newer models.

it seems to be an issue on some sets and not all of them. Old boy had an issue with the green tint on his and he had it replaced and no issue. It's luck of the draw I think with last years oled's although Gels model seems to be ok...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yes I would say it's a bit of a lottery with the LG OLED but as my replacement shows there are good examples out there but you may need to return until you are happy. The tinting on my first set was truly awful but the replacement is so much better in this regard and I never notice any issue.

Back to the thread subject and the Panasonic does look truly impressive from the reviews but two things must be kept in mind. That astronomical price and the fact this is a first generation Panasonic offering which means prices will soon tumble as we get into the next generation screens much like they did with LG.

At that point it will be very interesting to see how the two companies offerings compare on price and performance but right now in the real world that price is prohibitive. The real conclusions can only be drawn when Panasonic enters the market with real world pricing and screens for everyone.

Anyone who can afford that screen I would salute you for buying one and then ask for a viewing :)

strapped for cash said:
One thing I forgot to mention, which is good news if you enjoy the occasional foray into the third dimension, is that the Panny OLED offers true 1080p passive 3-D (I'd assumed, like Samsung and Sony, they'd stick with active 3-D). It's not something many people are interested in discussing, but passive 3-D on a calibrated Panasonic should be spectacular.

It would be passive 3D, as the panels are LG. Panasonic did this is 2013 as well, again with LG panels.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-passive-3d-led-201301062530.htm

What would "true 1080p passive 3D" mean? 1080p content upscaled to 4K, and then downscaled back to 1080p X 2?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
It would be passive 3D, as the panels are LG. Panasonic did this is 2013 as well, again with LG panels.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-passive-3d-led-201301062530.htm

What would "true 1080p passive 3D" mean? 1080p content upscaled to 4K, and then downscaled back to 1080p X 2?

I know LG supplies Panasonic with OLED panels, but it's still possible to incorporate an active 3-D system and I'd seen no mention before today of Panasonic using passive 3-D on their OLED set.

It's of course logical to make the most of the TV's resolution and go with a passive system, though manufacturers became more than a little precious during the so-called 3-DTV "format war." (LG and Samsung were still battling in the courts earlier this year.)

I wasn't aware that Panasonic had previously implemented passive 3-D on an LED set, so thanks for the link.

When I say "true 1080p passive 3-D," I simply mean there's no resolution loss. Each 1080p frame will need upscaling, because the panel exceeds the 2160 lines of vertical resolution needed to display both left and right images simultaneously. No downscaling is required.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
cant get much more praise than reference status although that one was pretty obvious.

Had the price been £5k instead of £8k then I think the praise would be a lot higher, jumping through hoops kinda priase - its the price tag that is the issue not the tv.

Its easy to get excited but its stilll only a 65" TV for £8k - thats a stonking amount

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
And this one from Ellisdj earlier today

ellisdj said:
cant get much more praise than reference status although that one was pretty obvious.

Had the price been £5k instead of £8k then I think the praise would be a lot higher, jumping through hoops kinda priase - its the price tag that is the issue not the tv.

Its easy to get excited but its stilll only a 65" TV for £8k - thats a stonking amount

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Thank you very much, Strapped for cash! This is the last one that I shall be pasting from the other, anticipatory, thread. I do think it would be good to have all comments on the Panasonic 4K OLED reviews in THIS THREAD.

gel said:
strapped for cash said:
Son-of_SJ has gone to the trouble of creating a dedicated thread for discussion of Panny OLED reviews.

You boys are forcing him to conduct endless housekeeping, copying, pasting and quoting your responses here. Show some consideration! *smile*
Oops! *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

So I see its 10-bit after all - good to know. Still no confirmation on what the HDMI are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts