Two full UK reviews of the Panasonic TX-P65VT65B plasma

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
rocketrazor said:
BenLaw said:
strapped for cash said:
Homes Under the Hammer; Escape to the Country; May the Best House Win; Property Ladder; Secret Agent; Four in a Bed. There are further examples.

I'm not sure this has anything to do with fandom, but if I'm home during the day there's a seemingly endless stream of programmes filled with panning shots across magnolia interior walls.

:grin: Mostly not my thing. I don't mind a bit of Secret Agent, although I thought most of the pans are over brown or green walls, or something similarly hideous.

you wouldn't like my decor then, got lots of green and browns!

:grin: Sorry, I realised as posting that that would inevitably offend somebody. I had in mind one house where the presenter repeatedly referred to 'the poo ceiling'. I don't think many people have a wall or ceiling like that.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
http://imageshack.us/a/img9/7310/dsc02707a.jpg

PS that will be the last time the baby touches it for several years at least :)

I think the baby is practising on the box, ready for writing on the actual TV with that dratted electronic Touchpen! :grin: which, for two reasons, is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard of, grrrr!!

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree...are the majority of folk who want these expensive near reference sets realy wanting to write on their screens....and don't get me started on that bloody samsung(spit)advert where that pillock asks his remote control if there's anything else watching |( :wall:

Sorry

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Just read the HCC review, only four stars, they did have a bit of a gripe with it!

And the previous month, HCC gave the Samsung PS64F8500 five stars!

Only this afternoon has something occurred to me, otherwise I would have mentioned it when I started the thread. The Home Cineama Choice magazine review complains about the presets, saying " .... but you can't rely on any of the presets, which has to be considered a disappointment ....". Yet, the AVForums online review, in the second paragraph of the early Summary section, says "The out-of-the-box settings were excellent". These statements cannot both be right!

It is quite unusual for HCC to give a top Panasonic plasma only four stars! From what I could workout they seem to be saying also they felt Panasonic engineers were too busy trying to achieve great black levels and as a result compromised on quality of the screen, resulting in a few issues.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Nice one, cheers. What did HCC say they didn't like about it?

Most specifically the picture presets, in all modes, which have once again been set to make the panel darker and more dynamic than ever before, but the engineers have gone too far this time. Images are dark with crushed blacks and greys alive with pixel noise. However, choosing the new Custom setting enables access to the Panel Luminance control, the reduction of which from High to Mid or preferably to Low brings immediate relief. Oh, and they mention the fan noise, as indeed does the AVForums review. How irritating the fan noise is will vary between individuals.

Yep, this was about the gist of it.

robvin1

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i've just joined whathifi, so i'd like to add some info regarding my experience with the TX-P65VT65B. I've had panasonic plasma's for over 6 years, this is the only model that the fan noise has become a problem for me. After a couple of days I asked for it to be replaced which it was without a problem however it is apparent that this is the price you have to pay for this model. The picture was fantastic you will have a fab tv if the fan noise will not bother you.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
:grin: Mostly not my thing. I don't mind a bit of Secret Agent, although I thought most of the pans are over brown or green walls, or something similarly hideous.

If I'm home in the afternoon (typically working with the TV on in the background), property shows or their close relatives seem to dominate TV schedules.

I'm not a great fan of property programmes, but I quite enjoy Escape to the Country. It's certainly preferable to an hour with Noel Edmonds.

D

Deleted member 2457

robvin1 said:
Hi, i've just joined whathifi, so i'd like to add some info regarding my experience with the TX-P65VT65B. I've had panasonic plasma's for over 6 years, this is the only model that the fan noise has become a problem for me. After a couple of days I asked for it to be replaced which it was without a problem however it is apparent that this is the price you have to pay for this model. The picture was fantastic you will have a fab tv if the fan noise will not bother you.

How noisy are the fans then on a scale of one to ten? Does it buzz at all?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Nice one, cheers. What did HCC say they didn't like about it?

Most specifically the picture presets, in all modes, which have once again been set to make the panel darker and more dynamic than ever before, but the engineers have gone too far this time. Images are dark with crushed blacks and greys alive with pixel noise. However, choosing the new Custom setting enables access to the Panel Luminance control, the reduction of which from High to Mid or preferably to Low brings immediate relief. Oh, and they mention the fan noise, as indeed does the AVForums review. How irritating the fan noise is will vary between individuals.

Yep, this was about the gist of it.

This is what I've been getting at. The F8500 does certain things better than the VT65; and I can understand why some reviewers would prefer it. Websites such as AV Forums and HDTV Test heavily prioritise black level and test results as the most important markers of image quality, so of course praise Panasonic plasma TVs over Samsung's equivalents.

Technically, this years Panasonics resolve more lines of picture information than the F8500, but the F8500 is arguably better with motion because it doesn't suffer with dynamic false contouring in the same way. The test results indicate that the VT65 is better with motion, but subjectively assessed with actual content, especially 50Hz material, the Samsung does a better job.

Panasonic's out of the box images are also less accurate than prior generations of ST/GT/VT plasma, though the VT65 still performs better than the F8500 in terms of hitting D65.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There is no buzz I can hear - but the fans are like a dull hum that you hear on quiet scenes - they are quite loud - however I am going to experiment with some acosutic material to try and stop the sound reflecting off the back wall - its an echo of the sound that makes it louder not the direct sound.

In terms of the TV - wow its huge - its amazingly huge but still like a really good TV at the same time - the size doesnt seem to affect it at all in movement etc.

Its too early to critique it - and I cant compare it with my LX5090 as its not fair to the 5090 - the sheer scale of the image is incredible and surpasses anything the 5090 could do from that aspect so I will comment on that later.

I tested Avatar in 3D - wow really impressive although i dont go much on the free 3D glasses - need to look into getting better ones which is worth it for this quality of screen.

This sort of size TV will blow your mind and anyone else who sees its mind - and I think will keep impressing where as a 50 or 55 become normal, this thing I dont think will ever seem normal - my cousin who helped me put it on the wall calls it the Behemoth

The out of the box settings are very good - esepcially THX 3D - that runs contrast at max but is a great image. Not 2D great but still great

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
There is no buzz I can hear - but the fans are like a dull hum that you hear on quiet scenes - they are quite loud - however I am going to experiment with some acosutic material to try and stop the sound reflecting off the back wall - its an echo of the sound that makes it louder not the direct sound.

In terms of the TV - wow its huge - its amazingly huge but still like a really good TV at the same time - the size doesnt seem to affect it at all in movement etc.

Its too early to critique it - and I cant compare it with my LX5090 as its not fair to the 5090 - the sheer scale of the image is incredible and surpasses anything the 5090 could do from that aspect so I will comment on that later.

I tested Avatar in 3D - wow really impressive although i dont go much on the free 3D glasses - need to look into getting better ones which is worth it for this quality of screen.

This sort of size TV will blow your mind and anyone else who sees its mind - and I think will keep impressing where as a 50 or 55 become normal, this thing I dont think will ever seem normal - my cousin who helped me put it on the wall calls it the Behemoth

The out of the box settings are very good - esepcially THX 3D - that runs contrast at max but is a great image. Not 2D great but still great

Sounds good so far. Thanks for the update. Cheers. Are the blacks good? Getting a bit darker now.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I dont go much on the free 3D glasses - need to look into getting better ones which is worth it for this quality of screen.

TPS 3D3s are the only real alternative; and there's really very little in it. In my experience (I own last year's Panasonic active glasses; this year's Panasonics; and a pair of TPS 3D3s), you gain a little and lose a little, whichever option you go for.

The TPS glasses block more ambient light and don't dim images as much, but the trade off is greyer blacks. You can calibrate to optimise black level, but images still look a touch washed out by comparison. I'm guessing the TV's 3D settings are optimised to be used with Panasonic's glasses.

Try a pair of 3D3s and see what you think. They're not too expensive, though as I'm sure you know, TPS will be selling a new range of active glasses soon. It might be worth waiting...

robvin1

May 30, 2013
Visit site
The fan noise would be at least a 5, very little mains hum from the transformer. Watching sport the acoustics seem to mask the noise even films until the sound level drops then the fan noise kicks in again, very annoying the tv is set up in a room 14 by 14, i'm sat about 12.5 feet away. This should not be the case on such a fab set. In the end I changed for the ZT. Much quieter fans can hardly here them? Very happy, if only i could get a 65"

D

Deleted member 2457

robvin1 said:
The fan noise would be at least a 5, very little mains hum from the transformer. Watching sport the acoustics seem to mask the noise even films until the sound level drops then the fan noise kicks in again, very annoying the tv is set up in a room 14 by 14, i'm sat about 12.5 feet away. This should not be the case on such a fab set. In the end I changed for the ZT. Much quieter fans can hardly here them? Very happy, if only i could get a 65"

That is interesting! Nice one.
smiley-smile.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

If I'm home in the afternoon (typically working with the TV on in the background), property shows or their close relatives seem to dominate TV schedules.

I'm not a great fan of property programmes, but I quite enjoy Escape to the Country. It's certainly preferable to an hour with Noel Edmonds.

I've seen Escape to the Country a few times and it's one of the more tolerable examples. A lot of people I wouldn't have to dinner tho, especially those who complain just how many *compromises* you have to make when you've only got a modest budget of £700,000.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I've seen Escape to the Country a few times and it's one of the more tolerable examples. A lot of people I wouldn't have to dinner tho, especially those who complain just how many *compromises* you have to make when you've only got a modest budget of £700,000.

Granted, it's veering toward Relocation Relocation territory, in which Hugo and Esmee have £1.2m to spend on their main house somewhere scenic, leaving just £450,000 for the pad in the city. It's quite a dilemma! Cue faux sexual chemistry between Phil and the wall smashing Tory woman as they playfight over who's the best at finding houses.

I like Escape because the houses and countryside look nice. I can usually put my Leftism aside for an hour to admire a well tended village green.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Quick bit or feedback.- I am 95% happy at the moment.

The fans are a bit loud - I am going to see what I can do about it as it would be better if they were not audible for sure.

On this size screen I see it as a by product of such a glorious big image however if I had that noise on a 50" it would be far more annoying.

The back of the panel gets quite hot in places and they have most of the back covered which I think helps reduce panel buzz as you cna hear some buzz from behind the tv which who cares about - I never go behind it to watch it. But given that I can see the need for fans - its only like a pc fan noise but deeper (it is in my house) and not as loud as sitting next to my pc now - that is louder in the fans but its a silent room

The other issue is with 3D - the 3D image is glorious on this screen the size makes for a very immersive watch and it is crisp with only a very few minor movement issues, and I mean minor - However the glasses I dont think are brillaint. Not the image quality thats really fantastic its the consistency of how they darken. I am seeing the luminance vary in some scenes - take the glasses off the sceen is not doing it.so it must be the glasses not darkening to the same level or ambient light from the tv having an effect?

Does anyone get this on their sets or are my glasses a bit pony?

For the image quality, movement, general tv quality etc is all outstanding - but I will calibrate today and feedback later, but even out of the box this set is stunning

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Quick bit or feedback.- I am 95% happy at the moment.

The fans are a bit loud - I am going to see what I can do about it as it would be better if they were not audible for sure.

On this size screen I see it as a by product of such a glorious big image however if I had that noise on a 50" it would be far more annoying.

The back of the panel gets quite hot in places and they have most of the back covered which I think helps reduce panel buzz as you cna hear some buzz from behind the tv which who cares about - I never go behind it to watch it. But given that I can see the need for fans - its only like a pc fan noise but deeper (it is in my house) and not as loud as sitting next to my pc now - that is louder in the fans but its a silent room

The other issue is with 3D - the 3D image is glorious on this screen the size makes for a very immersive watch and it is crisp with only a very few minor movement issues, and I mean minor - However the glasses I dont think are brillaint. Not the image quality thats really fantastic its the consistency of how they darken. I am seeing the luminance vary in some scenes - take the glasses off the sceen is not doing it.so it must be the glasses not darkening to the same level or ambient light from the tv having an effect?

Does anyone get this on their sets or are my glasses a bit pony?

For the image quality, movement, general tv quality etc is all outstanding - but I will calibrate today and feedback later, but even out of the box this set is stunning

Good stuff. :clap: How are you finding the black levels? Mine can sometimes get quite hot, but I found after a couple of days it settled down and now runs quite cool.

D

Deleted member 2457

One thing I was thinking about was how you said you had the screen in 3D on the THX setting and the brightness was quite high, surely that is not a good thing to do while running it in?

Have you also tried 3D on the normal settings to see if the issue is still there?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gel

I though that as well mate - I have tried the pro setting and the 3 different panel luminances, different contrasts etc it still does it.

I did read somewhere that light from the display can cause flicker even in a dark room. Its not flickering its like a floating black effect but more with the luminance. It does do it in brighter scenes so that could be a result of light hitting the inside of the glasses - I will test more later and test both pairs to see if its the same on both

Its certainly not a deal breaker on either account, just want to get it sorted - if it means buying new glasses then thats fine, but apart from the 3D3 ones the options are limited

All things to think about and try. - The ideal glass would have a large lense but also be wrap around with clear lenses - they would be worth paying good money for

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
AVForums last night published their full online review, here

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P65VT65B-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-3D-Plasma-Television-Review_535/Review.html

To cut a long story short, they rate it "Reference" and say they would choose it over a 60ZT65.

In all fairness, I must mention a very good but slightly qualified review on page 58 of the current (July 2013, number 222) issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine. It's not online yet, but the physical magazine thudded onto my mat on Friday 24th May, so it should certainly be in good newsagents by now. They like it, but say it's not perfect, oddly enough the same comment that had featured in their previous month's review of the Samsung PS64F8500. And HCC magazine also complained about the poorly-chosen picture presets on both the Panasonic TX-P65VT65 and the Samsung PS64F8500.

I see HCC are reviewing the ZT65 next month too. Wonder when WHF will review one? :?

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
3D Glasses seems a bit naff and I bought 2 hard cases and they are too big for them doh

Can we have some of your cracking pictures, please? Cheers.
smiley-smile.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gel dont be impatient lol - I will take some tonight and get them up for you

I calibrated yesterday / last night. Its a different system to my 5090 and I havent got it as psot on as I would have liked - I needed more time and it was 1.30am.

I am now in a calibration qaundry - do I ignore the main white balance and just adjust the 10 point, or do as I did last night and use the main white balance and then tweak with the 10 point to improve greyscale.

I calibrated to 2.4 gamma -m the image is deep and lush at that gamma - only tested skyfall and some of the images on this set are glorious and I am only about 30 hours into it running in - its getting more pop all the time.

It is a better display than my 5090 by a far margin, but I dont know how much of that is down to sheer size as it really does make a difference a 65" set is awesome I do love it despite a few kwirks.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Hi Gel dont be impatient lol - I will take some tonight and get them up for you

I calibrated yesterday / last night. Its a different system to my 5090 and I havent got it as psot on as I would have liked - I needed more time and it was 1.30am.

I am now in a calibration qaundry - do I ignore the main white balance and just adjust the 10 point, or do as I did last night and use the main white balance and then tweak with the 10 point to improve greyscale.

I calibrated to 2.4 gamma -m the image is deep and lush at that gamma - only tested skyfall and some of the images on this set are glorious and I am only about 30 hours into it running in - its getting more pop all the time.

It is a better display than my 5090 by a far margin, but I dont know how much of that is down to sheer size as it really does make a difference a 65" set is awesome I do love it despite a few kwirks.

Ah excellent - cheers. I am really looking forward to seeing these.
smiley-smile.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I just looked to take a few buts its way too light - this cal is no good in a light room, it needs far more contrast

I will take some later for you

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts