Panasonic to stop making Plasma TVs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Developing LCD technology is far cheaper as it's transferable to all sizes including phone screens which is a profitable business, unlike TVs which aren't making money currently & plasma technology cannot be transferred to smaller screens.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
http://www.whathifi.com/news/updated-panasonic-responds-to-reports-its-set-to-pull-out-of-plasma-tvs

Are they or aren't they? :rofl: Make your mind up Panasonic!! ;)
I'd rather you begone with your tail between your legs! :silenced: hehe

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
StanleyAV said:
http://www.whathifi.com/news/updated-panasonic-responds-to-reports-its-set-to-pull-out-of-plasma-tvs

Are they or aren't they? :rofl: Make your mind up Panasonic!! ;)
I'd rather you begone with your tail between your legs! :silenced: hehe

As the original story said,

"Reports from Japan say the company is expected to announce next week that it's starting a three-year plan to trim down its loss-making TV business, and that the strategy could see it stopping plasma panel production next year and also reducing the scale of its in-house LCD panel manufacturing.

"Panasonic's TV business is currently generating falling sales, with 2015 revenue expected to be less than half that achieved in 2009.

"As a result, the division is likely to undergo radical downsizing starting in the next financial year, one element of which will be the ending of plasma production at the company's Amagasaki plant near Osaka, pictured above. That's expected to take place as soon as next year.

"Sources at the company told the Japanese press the company would reduce plasma TV production gradually in consideration of relationships with retailers and other partners, and will consider withdrawing from that sector of the market during the 2014-15 financial year."

I see nothing in the statement the company issued last week that counters those reports: it merely says that no decision has been made as yet. The company could continue to make plasma TVs for the next year or two, and still fulfil the prophecies made in those Japanese press reports.

Indeed, the three-year plan announced last week by Panasonic president Tsuga does show just that trimming down of the TV business in the quest for a return to profitablity, including the elimination of 'unprofitable business divisions', as you can read in my report here. All Tsuga has ruled out is the 'nuclear option' of pulling out of TV altogether.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts