Suggest me an alternative to a Panasonic Plasma

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
After a lot of internet research, I had my heart set on a P50GT60B to replace the 32" Panasonic LCD that has done us remarkably well for the past 7 years (still going strong, but time for a bigger screen methinks).

I've read about the problems people have had with Panasonic plasmas, but I've had the attitude that generally people are far far more likely to post about problems on a forum than to post that they don't have any problems.

But the posts seem to be coming thick and fast of late! And reading about the problems people are having, particularly with IR, I just don't think it's worth the risk to buy one. Talk of not watching a tv channel for more than two hours... gaming not a good idea... IR not covered by warranty... Panasonic halting plasma production... just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

So, anyone else had their heart set on a Panasonic plasma but decided against it for these very reasons? If so, what did you buy instead? Or maybe you do have a Panasonic plasma and have absolutely no idea why there are so many complaints...

Selby

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I went for Sony LCD TV's. I didnt want the hassle or worry over IR Issues and how to resolve that. lets face it: Most TV channels have either a ticker tape scrolling at the bottom - BBC News for Exampe, or the TV channel itself and a logo. 7 Years on and the LCD images are stunning!

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Hi there. I have my heart set on a 50gt 60 but im wavering for exactly the same reasons. I too have a 32 ich lcd which is 7 years old and want something bigger. I cant really suggest a definite alternative as i havent bought one yet but i have a shortlist of tvs which offer good blacks (not plasma good obviously) and contrast. There are the samsunng 7000 and 8000 series lcds. Samsung plasma. Sony 653 (budget but va screen therefore good blacks) and 905 series. Finally the 50e6 lcd. Once again a budget screen which offfers better black levels than more expensive models due to the use of a VA panel. No good if you want 3d. Hope thats helps. they are all second best to the panny plasma but if they are reliable it will be worth the lesser picture quality.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
malthus80 said:
There are the samsunng 7000 and 8000 series lcds.

All the image retention issues with plasma turned me right off of them so I went for LCD. Tried LG first, no go, then Panasonic. The third 46" Panasonic is going back on Saturday. Doubt if I'll ever get another one after my experiences with them. But a Samsung UE46F8000 is being delivered on Saturday. One of the reviews I read stated that it had exceptional black levels near to plasma. Best levels of any 46 inch LCD tv they reckoned. Whether that's true or not I don't know. Will soon find out I suppose. And there is also a feature that appealed a lot, and that is the feature that 'blackens' the bars when watching 'other ratio' films. So 2.35:1 for example.The person I spoke to reckoned the above model was the best 46 inch LCD currently available...so I'm trying it out.

I hope the OP finds a suitable TV. I can sympathise. It's a blinking nightmare trying to find something you can live with. I'll post my opinion of the Samsung after I've got it up and running.

michael hoy

Never had any image retention issues with the 3 Panasonic plasma tv's I have had.

Worst TV's i ever had were both Sony LCD, one I still have just about good enough for the little use in the bedroom and the newer one went back after 2 weeks.

My current Panasonic (see Sig), is absolutely stunning and would not change it for any LCD / LED TV around today.

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Paul. said:
Although not immune, Samsung's plasmas allegedly fair better for IR than Panasonic do. The F8500 plasma looks lovely.

i avoided Panasonic for the very reasons you give, despite being a big Panasonic fan. I bought the Samsung 64f8500 & haven't looked back since.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I have a Panasonic v10 plasma and have had no problems. Most would say my tv is old but to me I look at TVs in shops and I haven't seen an LCD or led that would tempt me away from plasma.

I listen to much radio through freeview and have on several occasions not put the screen saver on and have never had any IR problems.

buzz_lightclick

It's quite funny how the OP asks for an alternative to a Panasonic plasma and yet there are several people still suggesting Panasonic plasmas! :?

I would look at the top of the range Sony and Samung LED/LCD TVs.

buzz_lightclick said:
It's quite funny how the OP asks for an alternative to a Panasonic plasma and yet there are several people still suggesting Panasonic plasmas! :?

I don't think anyone suggested Panasonic plasmas. They're just balancing the thread a bit, by stating that they haven't had any issues. The models they own aren't available for sale anymore.

jjbomber

buzz_lightclick said:

It's even funnier that people cannot read the last line written by the OP :grin: :grin: :grin:

In reply to the last line written by the OP, I have had a panasonic plasma for over 10 years and haven't had any problems with IR at all.

buzz_lightclick

jjbomber said:
buzz_lightclick said:

It's even funnier that people cannot read the last line written by the OP :grin: :grin: :grin:

In reply to the last line written by the OP, I have had a panasonic plasma for over 10 years and haven't had any problems with IR at all.

I was waiting for that :) I did see the last line, I just think some of the responses haven't been that helpful for the OP when he was asking for alternatives to a Panasonic plasma. I guess owners of them will always be defensive when someone suggests they have issues. ;)

buzz_lightclick said:
I did see the last line, I just think some of the responses haven't been that helpful for the OP when he was asking for alternatives to a Panasonic plasma. I guess owners of them will always be defensive when someone suggests they have issues. ;)

Firstly, it's perfectly reasonable for members to respond to a specific part of the question. How can they suggest another TV if they haven't demoed it personally? And secondly, I do not see anyone "defending" their Panasonic plasma. They're merely responding to the OP's question that they've had problem free experience.

You need to take those glasses off you know. 8)

jog3004

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Went from a fervent Panasonic buyer to Samsung f8500 due to concerns of reports of Panasonic plasma issues, & never looked back, don't get me wrong, there are reportedly some issues with some of the samsung sets but luckily I have not experienced any.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
For what it's worth, I have had my Panasonic Plasma - a TH-42PX70 for about 5 years now and have never had any issues (screen burn or otherwise) with it. I am not sure if it actually helped but I followed the advice of a friend when I first got it and left it on for three day to 'run in' and that seems to have paid off. I am now thinking of buying a new TV and was considering moving earlier than planned so that I can get another Panasonic plasma before they disappear from the shelves entirely.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
An interesting mix of replies! It certainly sounds like the older Pannys are fairing better than the more recent models - makes me wonder if Panasonic have pushed the technology limits just a little too far in the latest iterations?

But what concerns me the most is the reports of the poor customer care displayed by Panasonic with the people that have reported problems. If Panasonic's customer service was exemplary, I think I'd still take a punt on them. I can understand Panasonic not covering IR if somebody leaves a static image on display for hours on end. But normal viewing? TV station logos etc causing problems? As stated in at least one of the current Panny threads, that to me is a tv that is not fit for purpose. And if Panasonic are saying they won't cover problems arising out of typical tv viewing habits, then I can't see how I can give them my business.

Keep the suggestions coming - very much appreciated. And of course comments from happy 2013 Panny owners very welcome :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
margetti said:
But what concerns me the most is the reports of the poor customer care displayed by Panasonic with the people that have reported problems. If Panasonic's customer service was exemplary, I think I'd still take a punt on them. I can understand Panasonic not covering IR if somebody leaves a static image on display for hours on end. But normal viewing? TV station logos etc causing problems? As stated in at least one of the current Panny threads, that to me is a tv that is not fit for purpose. And if Panasonic are saying they won't cover problems arising out of typical tv viewing habits, then I can't see how I can give them my business.

Completely agree with this - I'm considering advising a friend of mine against getting a Panny now, since even people who have purchased them from stores like Richer Sounds and John Lewis (i.e. those which generally you wouldn't expect to get customer service issues) are getting the run around, most likely due to the fact that Panasonic are giving them the run around. Not good enough.

Roundhead 5000

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear another person has problems with another Panasonic TV...I play games probably 3 nights a week for 3 or 4 hours a time, why would a TV have a preset labelled 'Game', and then tell you not to play games? I haven't noticed anything untoward yet (touch wood) but I'm expecting to at some point, if the frequency of issues on here is anything to go by. And I have to agree with Big Boss about the Kuro, mine is still fantastic, no issues at all. Even to the point where I'm thinking of having it calibrated (along with the Panny of course). Shame you can't still buy them eh?

Anyway I'm going to see the new 4k panny lcd panel in a week or two (It has display port so I can attempt 4k gaming with p.c) And while I was talking to the salesman when arranging the demo, he mentioned he couldn't understand why Panasonic lcd panels didn't do more in the market, and said he thought they were easily the equal of the Samsung/ L.G models.He had the Samsung 4k 65 in stock so I don't think he was biased.

TRENDING THREADS