Plasma to 4K ?

Mutley2110

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2 yr old Panasonic gt60, one of the last plasma made by Panasonic and understood plasma was the best picture I can get. I've never been 100% happy with the picture. The colours are excellent but I get a bit of random motion blur which frustrates me for the price I paid for the tv. I have calibrated the tv using a THX dvd as the TVs is THX certified (?!). I'm very keen on the Panasonic TX-50CX802 which is 3D ultra hd 4K led and have viewed this in store (richer sounds) via Sky, bluray and digital. The picture is impressive but from past experience the picture is never the same when I get it home and out the box! Also it's difficult to compare the picture quality without my plasma next to it !!!. I only watch my TVs via Sky hd or bluray DVDs and don't use any of the smart TVs apps. Would I really see a more improved picture on this new (£1200) tv compared to my plasma? Or should I consider getting my plasma professionally calibrated and what cost & difference would this make??

i

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Mutley2110 said:
I have a 2 yr old Panasonic gt60, one of the last plasma made by Panasonic and understood plasma was the best picture I can get. I've never been 100% happy with the picture. The colours are excellent but I get a bit of random motion blur which frustrates me for the price I paid for the tv. I have calibrated the tv using a THX dvd as the TVs is THX certified (?!).

Well, you've done better than using just one of the default presets out of the box (that's similar to what I myself did before paying Mr Steve Withers), but that's not a proper calibration.

Mutley2110 said:
Or should I consider getting my plasma professionally calibrated and what cost & difference would this make??

Yes you should consider getting your plasma professionally calibrated. It will cost around £200 to £250. What difference would that make - potentially quite a bit. On my televisions (all plasmas like yours, one being a Panasonic) it takes me about 15 seconds to switch from the calibrated settings to the previous setting that I had obtained using a "calibration" disc, and the proper professional settings are significantly better, though I do warn you that it may take you a day or so to get used to them! I realise that up to £250 sounds a lot, but it's much cheaper than buying new television of sufficient quality to be better than your uncalibrated set, and the new television really should also be calibrated too! It may be that after you get your GT60 calibrated you will be happy enough with it, I hope so. In the meantime this article will be of interest.

https://www.avforums.com/article/why-should-i-get-a-professional-video-TV-projector-calibration.10258

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Mutley2110, it would help if you'd said what size your television was? Anyway as an interim measure, you might try these recommended settings for the 50-inch size. I'll say only that I myself tend to increase the sharpness settings slightly above the indicated calibrated value, but that's a matter of personal taste.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-tx-p50gt60-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.1762335/

Read at least the first page of the discussion also. Let us know how you get on, it's a shame if people ask for advice and then don't acknowledge the help.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
We have a slightly older (4 years) Panasonic, can't remember the model number, but it's a 60-incher. We also have two Samsung 4Ks, one 2014 60-incher and one 2015 55-incher.

IMHO there's no comparison between the 1080p Panasonic and the 4K Samsungs - the 4K TVs are far superior on "out of the box" settings, never mind paying someone to "twiddle the knobs" as I said, perhaps a little disparagingly, in another thread. And the 2015 55-incher is better than the 2014 60-incher in most respects.

The pictures are sharper (my wife thinks too sharp for her taste) and you get a far better feel for depth in 2D if the camera crew use the old "depth of field" trick photographers use to place the main subject in focus and the people or things behind slightly out of focus. You'll notice this far more on a 4K TV than you do on a 1080p TV.

I would agree, however, with other posters. Turn off ALL the motion control and other "bells and whistles" and try as get as close to you can as pure reproduction of the incoming signal, rather than relying on the electronics inside the TV to do things for you. Like tone controls or (shudder) graphic equalisers on a stereo, they almost certainly do more harm than good.

And yes, wait until after Chrimbo (or, as someone in Bestbuy told me, in the US wait until after the SuperBowl) when the retailers clear out all their 2015 stock or are flogging off what's left super-cheap and / or the "new and improved" 2016 models come out.

If only Panasonic had kept up plasma TV production and boosted the resolution to 4K, then that would be an entirely different can of worms....

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
And invest in a proper calibration, it's worth every penny. Switch all the processing off and have a look at the picture perfect videos on AV forums if calibration is too much of a cost for you.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
OLED will still have stronger blacks than any plasma, even if Panasonic, lg and Samsung had produced a 4K pdp. There is also the issue of high cost of running these panels; they are not economical and there would be a significant increase in electricity.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Series1boy said:
And invest in a proper calibration, it's worth every penny.

The take your HDMI cables on a tour of the local religious establishments. Have the priests / rabbis / ayatollas / whatever sprinkle holy water on them and say a prayer of blessing. It's worth every penny.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I am trying offer good advice to people and is from an informed and experienced view. You are of no use or help to anyone on here with your sarcastic and unhelpful inexperienced responses.

you don't have the experience of a calibrated tv and I suggest you go and find out for your self and I'm more than sure you will see the difference, unlike you would see any difference with your gold plated Hdmi cables.

people come on this forum for help and support on their tech and we all try to help, apart from you that is. You are also entitled to your view, but when you start to attack and ridicule people, then there is no place for this. This is just bully boy tactics! We can all have fun and banter but not your kind including your profanity.

btw, why have you not answered my questions on the other post?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts