AV Forums Review of Panasonic 902B - Beats LG OLED E6!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
I found the LG skin tones over saturated.

It wasn't a perfect comparison though as the material was different and they were both in "shop mode".

As you know, in-store auditions aren't reliable indicators, particularly when viewing in dynamic or display mode.

Hopefully the store will lend you a remote. Changing the television's settings to Pro or Cinema will provide a better indication of real-world performance, though images will look washed out under store lighting.

If you're spending a good amount on the TV, I'd highly recommend a pro-cal; this will eliminate concerns regarding colour balance and saturation (of course oversaturated images can be improved through simple colour attenuation, as well).

A pro-cal will maximise your TV's performance, however, beyond what's possible with simple test patterns.

D

Deleted member 2457

Personally I prefer deep blacks against brightness.

Sliced Bread

gel said:

Totally agree on this one, especially as banding seems to be a bit of an issue with many of the brighter sets.

The only problem though is that the skin tones on the LG OLEDS (even the signature) seem to be way off. This could totally be calibration, though if I can't find a good demo then i may not take the risk.

I would also add that on the demo I saw (some musicians) there was some artifacting / stoning in the dark blues. Again, if correctly calibrated then maybe these very dark blues are next to invisible and no longer a problem, but if I'm going to spend £5k on a tele then I need to know it will be good.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
Totally agree on this one, especially as banding seems to be a bit of an issue with many of the brighter sets.

Banding in very dark scenes can be an issue with OLED tech, or at least with WOLED, which is LG's OLED technology (and since LG is the only real mass-producer of OLED panels, that essentially means all OLED TVs).

This issue seems to have been largely addressed on recent models, though.

Sliced Bread said:
The only problem though is that the skin tones on the LG OLEDS (even the signature) seem to be way off. This could totally be calibration

It's entirely down to calibration, so I wouldn't spend time worrying about this.

If you go for a pro-cal (which I'd highly recommend), your TV will be set up to replicate HD broadcasting and mastering standards, so skin tones will be absolutely spot on.

Both TVs calibrate extremely well for HD (Rec.709), though the Panasonic is better with UHD content (Rec.2020), in calibration terms at least.

Are you likely to watch more 3-D than UHD content? If so, the LG probably edges it. If you're more inclined to watch UHD content, of which there'll be more in the future, the Panny may serve you better.

They're both great TVs, so I doubt you'll be disappointed, whichever you choose. It's all about priorities, really.

Happy hunting.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
gel said:

You clearly haven't read the review or you'd know the 902 has blacks just as deep as the OLED - 0 nits with local dimming activated (you can't get any blacker than 0!).

Furthermore, it has superior grey scaling and 1,000 nits peak brightness, twice that of the OLED. It's the latter I personally think that makes the picture the difference. The OLED is great on colour but can't match the dynamic range of the 902 meaning that it lacks the same level of realisim in scenes where there are powerful highlights eg sun.

Alsone said:
the 902 has blacks just as deep as the OLED - 0 nits with local dimming activated (you can't get any blacker than 0!).
....only if you look at the picture straight on from the centre of the screen. Being a VA panel, this is significantly affected even with just 45 degrees angle of viewing.

D

Deleted member 2457

Alsone said:
gel said:

You clearly haven't read the review or you'd know the 902 has blacks just as deep as the OLED - 0 nits with local dimming activated (you can't get any blacker than 0!).

Furthermore, it has superior grey scaling and 1,000 nits peak brightness, twice that of the OLED. It's the latter I personally think that makes the picture the difference. The OLED is great on colour but can't match the dynamic range of the 902 meaning that it lacks the same level of realisim in scenes where there are powerful highlights eg sun.
We are only talking about HDR here anyway the OLED smashes it for normal viewing. And hdtvtest said the OLED was better, even if they did go back on their word for the average Joe of the street!

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Alsone said:
gel said:

you clearly haven't compared oled, plasma and lcd side by side. I have, and plasma still beats lcd hands down on blacks from all angles. OLED is simply more superior in blacks compared to plasma and definitely lcd.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
i have replaced my panny 50gt50 with the lg b6 oled and it beats the panny in every area,bright whites,colours,black is just completely black,the image is also super clean and punchy,superb tv.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts