AV Forums Review of Panasonic 902B - Beats LG OLED E6!

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Maybe I wasn't going mad when I found the Panasonic better during in store viewing recently:

Let you read it for yourself and see the ratings.

However, their findings were a wider colour space than the OLED which was also more accurate in it's reproduction, better grey scales, black levels as good as the LG after switching local dimming on, far superior brightness and overall a Higly Recommended verdict vs a Recommended for the LG.

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-dx902-tx-65dx902b-uhd-4k-tv-review.12385

Alsone said:
bigboss said:
Even the LG E6 came with a highly recommended award. Where did you read "recommended"?

At the very bottom of the review page, they have a section called "The Rundown" where they give the tv scores for a wide range of parameters. Above the heading, they award a badge which says "Recommended", "Highly Recommended" etc.

The LG got Recommended whereas the Panasonic got Highly Recommended.
No, it came with "highly recommended":

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-oled65e6-ultra-hd-4k-oled-hdr-tv-review.12282

Numbers don't mean anything, real world comparison has yielded different results. That's why it's best to demo and compare.

bigboss said:
Alsone said:
bigboss said:
Even the LG E6 came with a highly recommended award. Where did you read "recommended"?

At the very bottom of the review page, they have a section called "The Rundown" where they give the tv scores for a wide range of parameters. Above the heading, they award a badge which says "Recommended", "Highly Recommended" etc.

No, it came with "highly recommended":

https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-oled65e6-ultra-hd-4k-oled-hdr-tv-revi...

Numbers don't mean anything, real world comparison has yielded different results. That's why it's best to demo and compare.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:

As I mentioned above, the Panasonic also outscored the LG in the main body of the review for colour range, colour accuracy, brightness, scored 0.00 nits for blacks with local dimming enabled, and some other parameters all measured using a Klein A10 meter as well as the eye.

BTW I didn't post this to troll, it was just an interesting result that backed up my opinion that the Panasonic might have the edge over the LG, especially for colour accuracy. I think it's fair to say it's close with several of these high end tv's which again explains the differing opinions of viewers, although a Klein meter is hard to argue with for impartiallity!

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
It appears I looked at the G6 review (despite the title!) and you looked at the E6 review.

However, against the E6, the E6 scored 10 out of 10 in 1 category whereas the 902B scored 10 of 10 in 5 categories. It got 2 8's for 3d and sound where the E6 beat it, (sound hardly surprising when E6 has a HK soundbar).

Overall though it's close, although with 5x10's vs 1x10, more accurate colours, wider colour space and greater brightnesss, personally I'd view that as a win for the Pansonic.

As I said above though, a lot of it measured specs apart, is going to come down to the viewer.

I won't read too much into the scores. This is what Steve Withers (the reviewer of both TVs) says:

"No TV technology is perfect and there are just too many changes and too many unknowns at the moment to award any TV a 10/10 this year. The scores for previous reviews also need to be taken within the context of when they were written."

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e6-oled65e6v-uhd-4k-tv-review.2040180/

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
I won't read too much into the scores. This is what Steve Withers (the reviewer of both TVs) says:

"No TV technology is perfect and there are just too many changes and too many unknowns at the moment to award any TV a 10/10 this year. The scores for previous reviews also need to be taken within the context of when they were written."

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e6-oled65e6v-uhd-4k-tv-review.2040180/

The LG was tested in July 16 whereas the Panny was tested in Feb, so if anything the LG has the advantage on test date / later production.

However, I do agree with the general sentiment, it's very close at the top between the LG 6v series OLED, Panny 902B, Sony 9405 and Samsung 9500, and any choice of those, will be a good one. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

To my eyes, I still prefer the 902B as it seems to have the most natural and realistic picture, which the AV review agrees with, however, when it's this close, it's a personal thing.

I personally couldn't buy a 58" anyway, as it's is too large for a 10ft viewing distance with any standard def tv, it's looks cr*p! I think until all tv transmissions go to HD, 50" is about the limit for SD unless you're prepared to put up with a really poor SD picture in return for the rewards of HD and 4K on the rare occassions you watch it, and that applies to all brands as again there's very little too choose between them on broadcast upscaling from what I've seen, although there may be a slight edge to the LG here. Before anyone gets exicted though, it's so slight though as to not be enough to sway my preference when considering it vs general PQ. Only by viewing it side by side, could I notice any difference over the Sony. To my eyes, the only tv that hasn't impressed me is actually the Samsung, although given the reviews, it would be hard to leave it off any shortlist.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
It don't beat it! The Panasonic OLED is better than the LCD and the LG sure beats that. Steve Withers has just messed about with the ratings system to suit himself.

It's never wise to say derogatory things about someone else, particularly a reviewer, in a public forum.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Alsone said:
I personally couldn't buy a 58" anyway, as it's is too large for a 10ft viewing distance with any standard def tv, it's looks cr*p! I think until all tv transmissions go to HD, 50" is about the limit for SD unless you're prepared to put up with a really poor SD picture

I cannot agree with you. I watch lots of Freeview channels, at Standard Definition, at no more than 10 feet from my Sony and my Panasonic, and they look fine, sometimes, depending on how recently the programmes were recorded, mighty fine. The American crime channels - TruTv, CBS Reality, YourTV, Quest - all look more than acceptable. Perhaps I just have a particularly good rooftop aerial??

D

Deleted member 2457

Alsone said:
Maybe I wasn't going mad when I found the Panasonic better during in store viewing recently:

Let you read it for yourself and see the ratings.

However, their findings were a wider colour space than the OLED which was also more accurate in it's reproduction, better grey scales, black levels as good as the LG after switching local dimming on, far superior brightness and overall a Higly Recommended verdict vs a Recommended for the LG.

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-dx902-tx-65dx902b-uhd-4k-tv-review.12385
It don't beat it! The Panasonic OLED is better than the LCD and the LG sure beats that.

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
It don't beat it! The Panasonic OLED is better than the LCD and the LG sure beats that. Steve Withers has just messed about with the ratings system to suit himself.

It's never wise to say derogatory things about someone else, particularly a reviewer, in a public forum.
Agreed. Especially when I got my words mixed up! I have edited it accordingly.

D

Deleted member 2457

Got to admit though that the rating system is now all messed up on there now though.

Son_of_SJ said:
Alsone said:
I personally couldn't buy a 58" anyway, as it's is too large for a 10ft viewing distance with any standard def tv, it's looks cr*p! I think until all tv transmissions go to HD, 50" is about the limit for SD unless you're prepared to put up with a really poor SD picture

I cannot agree with you. I watch lots of Freeview channels, at Standard Definition, at no more than 10 feet from my Sony and my Panasonic, and they look fine, sometimes, depending on how recently the programmes were recorded, mighty fine. The American crime channels - TruTv, CBS Reality, YourTV, Quest - all look more than acceptable. Perhaps I just have a particularly good rooftop aerial??
I'm assuming the OP means 4K TV, which you don't have. SD will be worse on 4K.

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Alsone said:

I've only seen it instore on Broadcast, so of course the signal could be very poor compared to a good Freesat or Freeview signal at home. The impression I got though from messing around in store was that on SD, You were going to need at least 12-14 feet for even an acceptable image on SD froma 58". As I said though, signal could have been poor. (I estimated the distance on the floor using my height as a guide).

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
I'm assuming the OP means 4K TV, which you don't have. SD will be worse on 4K.

Yeah I wonder why with something like £4K they don't spend more money on the interpolation hard / software given they know that most material is transmitted in SD.

As someone who pretty much never watches BBC or ITV with the odd exception, SD is pretty much an enforced diet on broadcast.

Sliced Bread

I hadn't read the AVFORUMS review, but I'm about to replace my screen with either a new TV or a projector and comparing the 65"LG 6V and even the signature with the Panasonic 902, I think I prefered the 902. I found the LG skin tones over saturated.

It wasn't a perfect comparison though as the material was different and they were both in "shop mode". I'm trying to find somewhere where I can view both sets (and the Sony 75") in a better environment and with the same film. Easier said than done though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts