What do you think of Class D amplifiers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As I am a total Valve addict I couldn't help mysself to listento some class D amps too :grin: And the one that really seems to satisfy me was pre/power combi of Bel Canto. Until now no others have convinced me to purchase a class D amp. I am curious what your experiences are!

A

Anonymous

Heard the Class D offering fom Bel Canto pair with Thiel sometime ago and simply not impressed. Have heard other class D amp as well. Same result FAIL. Just find something is not right with the sound.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ocean37 said:
As I am a total Valve addict I couldn't help mysself to listento some class D amps too :grin: And the one that really seems to satisfy me was pre/power combi of Bel Canto. Until now no others have convinced me to purchase a class D amp. I am curious what your experiences are!

I used to be a total sceptic, in the past I had built some small ones for use in the school physics department, ok for driving various transducers but not great sounding. I recently have heard some behemoths built using these modules. Link: http://www.hypex.nl/ I can think of only superlatives, bass control like none other, smooth, unlimited dynamic range and everything that class D was not supposed to do properly. In all, stunning! But of course you have to build your own... :p

A

Anonymous

nexski said:
Heard the Class D offering fom Bel Canto pair with Thiel sometime ago and simply not impressed. Have heard other class D amp as well. Same result FAIL. Just find something is not right with the sound.

That is interesting. Could be that I have listened to the Bel Canto in a very good tuned set-up. But for the rest I totaly agree with you. There is something artificial about the sound.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The best power amp I've ever heard at home for a week was Primare's fairly new A34.2. Allegedly better than the Bel Cantos by a big margin but costs £2100 according to a delear that sells both.

Added:

The sound was noticeably clean - reminded me of class A but using a lot less power.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I mostly don't get on with Class D, but just as you've found, Bel Canto has been the best of what I've heard.....I still wouldn't give up Class A for it though.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The biggest problem that I have with all the Class D amps that I've heard, including a Bel Canto Evo is what they do to piano music. It's hard to describe, but pianos don't sound like pianos.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If I might put in a good word for the Class D amp at the heart of my own system. (Albeit contained within a £479 'all-in-one' unit.)

Short of Rega launching an 'all-in-one' (or me winning a sizeable lottery pay-out and going bonkers at my nearest Luxman/Harbeth vendors), I have no desire to change or upgrade from the M-CR603.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
After hearing how clean and noiseless my old Pioneer SCLX82 and 83 sounded with music, I stuck to Class D when I upgraded to a pre-power. For budget purposes, I went for the Rotel RMB1575.

I feel that Class D sounds more neutral than Class A/B, and the resulting sound is dependent on the source and system as a whole. Since changing my pre-processor to the Audiolab 8200AP, my system has improved greatly for music. While power amplification is important, the pre-amplifier is even more important, and can make or break a system. There aren't that many high quality pre-amplifiers around, and I feel that it is the pre-amplifier that governs how good any power amplifier can ultimately sound.

I'm loving mine, and Class D will certainly be at the top of the list when I eventually come to upgrade. Although, i can't help liking Bryston and a certain other brand... :)

A

Anonymous

I agree on this with you Frank. The more you go 'high-end' the more important the pre-amplifier becomes. Until now I am not convinced with the Class D amps. It sounds very clean and neutral, but there is some area what I would call the 'X-factor' that it just doesn't have for me.

A

Anonymous

Class C is not really suitable for audio. It is used for high frequency modules.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Ocean37 said:
I agree on this with you Frank. The more you go 'high-end' the more important the pre-amplifier becomes. Until now I am not convinced with the Class D amps. It sounds very clean and neutral, but there is some area what I would call the 'X-factor' that it just doesn't have for me.

Whilst class D are not exactly new, semiconductor technology steadily evolves. Although earlier examples have been reported as sounding objectionable, they are (or some are) becoming very good. My money is on class D taking over from class A/B where gains in efficiency will drive the concept & class A will continue for those without more conventional forms of room heating! Ironically, well implemented class D sound similar to class A anyway & will appeal to those with central heating.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Aren't most car stereos class D? A car has small space to offer which should not build up heat and limited power.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm very happy with the class D amplification in my RZ-1, but I haven't compared it to other class d amps.

Then again, I bought an all in one unit because I was prepared to compromise in space, so I don't think I'd be too upset at the compromises brought by class d. TBH, I think the quality of the sound is as good a comparably priced Marantz separates that I was considering at the time.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I like the sound of my Wadia 151 amp ... I find it fairly neutral in tone, transparent, dynamically fast with very tight control on bass and doesn't get bright or splashy at the top end. The fact that it is also a 4 input upsampling (384kHz) DAC in a box the size of a Mac Mini is brilliant.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Ocean37 said:

This would also be my view......I wonder how many people would go for Class D having heard a competent Valve, Hybrid or SS Class A amp.....which more often than not, don't make the shortlist for demoing; though Class D is definitely more environmentally friendly.

manicm

It's also a question of taste. And unlike class A, there is no clearly defined topology for Class D - only that the signal remains digital till the output stage - and in-between there makers take wildly different routes - NAD's latest D amps for example.

From what I've gleaned though is that they sound nearer to Class A amps, the good ones anyway. So it may not be to the liking of those who love their NAD356's etc. Strictly not for you :p

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
manicm said:
It's also a question of taste. And unlike class A, there is no clearly defined topology for Class D - only that the signal remains digital till the output stage - and in-between there makers take wildly different routes - NAD's latest D amps for example.

I agree completely about taste, but in order to rule something out, one has to have heard it in the first place.

The Nad certainly looks promising, as reading what Jax had to say, plus reviews......they are all saying the right things. Haven't heard it though.

If you include the Devialet, then I'd say I've never heard better. Different, maybe, but not better.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/d-premier

Otherwise, at a more affordable price, and pace the three-star WHF review, I like Primare's offerings which i have heard a few times now, and always liked them (though always with ribbon-tweetered speakers, which may not be a coincidence).

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
If you include the Devialet, then I'd say I've never heard better. Different, maybe, but not better.

Interesting, you have heard the Devialet D Premier. Can you tell me where you heard it, and what it sounded like (plus describe the rest of the system etc). From what I have seen and read that looks like the perfect marriage of Class A and Class D and I would love one, or at least a cheaper version of one.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
NHL said:
TEAC's A-H01 is 30W with a 32-bit DAC. Uses ICE-power. Seems to be an interesting alternative for 500 euro.

Actually it's only £199 in the UK which I think is is good VFM for this class D digital and analogue input amp.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:

NP, how would you compare the Devialet to Linn Klimax (passive).....I ask as I've heard their sound isn't a mile apart, with Linn being (I believe) their own version of Class D.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts