Day of Testing Cheap Cables vs Expensive - write up as promised

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I spent the day at forum members Electro house yesterday - he kindly took on the challenge of showing me that his system linked up with "cheap cables" could still sound good without the expsensive cables he has sold previously. I set this challenge as part of the heated debate in the interconnects thread. I want to thank him for doing this, it was a very enjoyable day - we listened to music for about 5 hours non stop - so it was a proper session, also a good time for me to get a handle on things - then listen for changes in presentation with changes made

The background of Electro system is important to mention - he has paid proper attention to detail - proper equipment racks, some acoustic treatment, High quality mains conditioning and a full array of boxes e.g. CD transport, DAC, Reclocker, Preamp then indivual mono blocks. So time you plug all that in and the 2 power conditioners and the extra reclocker for Spotify there must be at least 20 connections - unit to unit and from units to power conditoning and from Power conditioning to the wall.

The test was not as extreme as I we were probably hoping for - he is using cheap cables to buy but they are not all freeby standard, its a mix of Russ Andrews, Audioquest and some cheap ones from Mapiln. This doesnt make any difference really overall but I think its important to mention for the overall scenario.

In an extreme test the system would have have been all freeby IEC power cables and connections but I am glad he had power conditoning because I know the quality of the units he is using, even though Electro is not as convinced as me on their benefit. I would much prefer 5 hours of listening with them in the system :)

I listened for about an hour initally - what did I think.

Once we went from Spotify to CD it was instantly, hugely better, its hard to asses content you dont know and we listened to a lot I didnt know. For the content I took with me there are some excellent points in the presentation - the sound had great scale, good transient clarity - his amps control his speakers so well through dynamic changes they never lose the leading edge of notes which gives the system a nice "bite" to things - very appealing and very good, I like that a lot

The system was very transparent - imaging very nicely beyond the speakers and to the sides and out to the listening position which is excellent to hear, even behind me a bit as well in one song. There was a few things that was not to my taste - I prefer a more focused sound, with more meat on the bones of things, especially vocal in some songs that I knew well that was missing. I also thought I could really hear his room adding sound to the presentation. I am used to a very controlled sound environment - so this is something I notice very quickly. Electro has a different preference to the presentation I will mention that later as thats important.

So after a good hour of listening and enjoyment I asked to swop some cables for purposes of me being there. I only took a couple with me 1 set of RCA Interconnects and 1 Power cable. Electro system is all balanced so it limited the testing option - however fortunately he uses SPDIF cables between the Reclocker and DAC I think - these luckily are the cheapest of the lot being Maplin £10 specials so we was able to change this and really test cheap vs expensive in a good system - ideal really when you think about it

Electro for very good practice turned the whole system off before making any wiring changes - so the initial sound was always a little lacking when it went back on until equlibrium

So after we changed the SPDIF interconnects for mine so 2 links in 20 or more - the sound changed.

Things sounded to me more in focus, but the system had lost some depth to the soundstage - the presentation was no longer going so much beyond the speakers but more in between, but definately what I would say was with more clarity. There was some improvement but something was missing at the same time

Having owned these interconnects and struggling with them initially, it didnt take me long to realise what I had done through ownership as well - they show you the quality of exactly what comes before it in my eyes. So I quickly suggested we change the other cable I brought with me which was a 1.8m Power Cable from the same company, that I have reterminated with a Furutech FI50 (Gold) IEC and Furutech FIUK Plug with Synergisitic Research Red 13 amp fuse.

Electro plugged this into the pre amp as he felt this would have the most effect on the sound - and off we went for about 2 or more hours listening too different content. So thats 3 links changed in 20 or more 15% roughly

Now with this Power cable was plugged in the sound got all its depth back but to me each element of the sound had more body, more focus, the soundstage seemed narrower but bigger at the same time - I would say lowering of the noise floor is a good way to describe it. I think Electro felt it removed some of the acoustic sound - to me it was removing what I thought was the sound of his listening rooms acoustic - i.e. the echoy phasey sound a room puts on the original sound seemed very much cleared up to me. So it wasnt the room that was making the system sound this way as much as I thought it was. It was a pretty stark difference.

The treble for me was much cleaner and less zingy but toned down at the same time - we listened to one live rock track as the test between the cables it had a lot of zingy treble with the Maplins - that seemed to be all gone with the expensive cables, at least I dont remember it / it didnt stand out

You also cant put into words how music engages you as the listener, but we sat there in pretty much silence listening to loads of different content and I was really enjoying everything I was listening to, I wasnt thinking about the testing I was just really enjoying what I was listening to. I remember thinking to myself I would love to change all the cables in this system to the ones I brought with me add a few more acoustic panels and this system would be damn right be amazing - it had all the foundation and potential to do it. The cost of doing that would be in the region of £30k or more so its no small change - huge money.

So after a couple of hours as mentioned we went back to the Maplin Cables and original power cable whatever it was - the first 20 minutes the system was getting back going and I was very much missing the sound we had been listening to - the sound now wasnt as polished or as lush. However I must admit after 20 minutes and different content it started sounded better again as I was adjusting to this sound and we finished by listening to Dire Straights Brothers in arms off a 20th Anniversary CD edition which is a hybrid SACD. I am pretty sure it was only normal CD we was listening to but it sounded huge, clean, and pretty epic and was a wonderful way to finish a truly excllent listening session.

I will admit now I can see why blind tests dont prove things - not because I couldnt hear difference, but because when the content is unknown you dont always know what your listening to and that can be confusing on its own. Also we wasnt hard testing it was a listening session. There was a big gap between the changes. We didnt do much A/B testing i.e listening to the same track over and over trying to highlight differnces. To be honest I wouldnt want to pull Electro system about that much, certainly not in fact and I dont think we really needed to.

I think the differences were proved to me enough in what we did, just in the overall presentation qualities of the extended sessions with both sets of cables in. I remember Electro saying to me after we changed the SPDIF to the expensive ones that the sound had lost its depth and I was thinking something similar so we both heard it at the same time, even though it was only me in the hot seat and there was no mention of this before. We hardly spoke to each other much, sign of good sound.

In terms of preference - I am not sure if electro preferred the sound with my cables in, for me it was a lot better and a lot more like what I am used to listening to, maybe thats why I preferred it and he might not have. We get accustomed to what we know - plus he is looking for something different to me. He sees a lot of live music and wants to recreate that - I just want to push the system to its limit of making something sound amazing.

This is not about reviewing Electro excellent system its about did I hear a difference in the cables - considering it was only 3 links in 20 for me it was like listening to a different system with them in and if you changed them all over it would be a completey different sound from the same boxes and speakers and room, I am more convinced of that now than before I went.

Could cheap cables sound good was the other thing at test - Cheap freeby cables no way - still not had that proved to me, the cables Electro is using do sound excellent but I dont class them in the freeby category so it doesnt count I am afraid :)

I hope when he comes to mine and listens to my system with nearly all the same cables he will see why I said what I have. Nothing I have written is meant as critism to the man or what he owns or what he has setup. I liked it a lot, I would do it a bit different but that is the beauty of the options we have available to us.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Interesting and thank you ellisdj and electro. You are true super nerds :)

Did I get this right, you didn't actually try changing interconnects or speaker cables but a digital interconnect and power cords?

Electros system reads tasty.

TrevC is no doubt already hovering above this thread Vulture like. Got to love him.

I'll join again two hundred posts into it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Yep only 1 power chord and 2 spdif cables that was all.
Sorry few spelling mistakes. That was all could really break down from my own systems to take. Very tight spaces

Let's let people comment about the day please before the negativity starts. I would appreciate it

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
To do the lot in the ones I took round there Yes. About 2k acoustics 28k cables. But you can't get them anyway so it's only theoretical

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well done ! So do you believe that some cables make a difference or some do not or some take something away like depth , bass , treble quality, sound stage bottom end and so on from the sound ? . Basically it would of been easier with just a normal amp + cdplayer + speaker setup then that way you can find out if the speaker cables play's a part in charging the sound too . I am in the good quality camp when it comes to cables but I would never spend £1000s on them .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
To do the lot in the ones I took round there Yes. About 2k acoustics 28k cables. But you can't get them anyway so it's only theoretical

I see. I will be interested in Electro's opinion on the cable changes.

K

keeper of the quays

Very good write up! Thank you for your very interesting views! I see already the chompers are gagging at the bit to pour scorn...let them! Sounds Like you had a nice time..i think electro is a nice guy and two hifi buffs listening intently to music sounds good to me..good stuff and thanks for writing it up I can see you took a long time writing this..well worth the visit I think..be nice if more forum members actually got involved like you and electro have! :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:

How much did Electro's system cost him, in total?

And why couldn't someone do DIY clones of the cables you'd suggest for like £500 or so?

And which system sounds better overall to your ears? Electros or yours ellisdj?

There's a lot to be said for listening to other peoples systems and then reporting what you thought of it. I prefer reading this type of review to most magazine reviews.

K

keeper of the quays

lindsayt said:
ellisdj said:

How much did Electro's system cost him, in total?

And why couldn't someone do DIY clones of the cables you'd suggest for like £500 or so?

And which system sounds better overall to your ears? Electros or yours ellisdj?

There's a lot to be said for listening to other peoples systems and then reporting what you thought of it. I prefer reading this type of review to most magazine reviews.
+1

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
I see already the chompers are gagging at the bit to pour scorn...let them!

I've looked a few times and I can't see what you're basing this on other than people expressing a desire to hear from the other participant. We've heard Ellis's view of the session and it was much appreciated and very interesting. Electro's is no less interesting or valid.

By using insulting phrases to describe anyone looking for a balanced view, I think you come across as someone with an entrenched position to protect rather than someone with an open mind.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I can make all my own cables and have made loads of my own. I know roughly what they do but I know for a fact whatever I made wouldn't be as good and by the time I made tested made tested spent money on all the bits and connectors it would cost so much I might as well just buy what I like within affordability and not have the stress of all the above. It's the affording and finding that's the hard part with these though

In terms of what is better its preference
My system is suited to me more bass power and more bass than Electro by a lot. More to the mid range in terms of richness and fullness smoother treble.
He needs to hear it and report back. I don't think he will like it though but hopefully can appreciate it.
His has better stage and presence much bigger room and speakers. His system does drums better and attacks more where mine plays it safe by comparison. His has larger individual elements of the sound which makes it more authentic and more space between them I am space limited.

His is technically much better proper hi quality hifi components, mine is a computer and av bits - so very interested to see what he thinks I have done with it.

I liked his system a lot but I would want to work on it to make it suit me if that makes sense. I think he is really happy with it how it is which is great for him because that is what matters

K

keeper of the quays

TomSawyer said:
keeper of the quays said:
 I see already the chompers are gagging at the bit to pour scorn...let them! 

I've looked a few times and I can't see what you're basing this on other than people expressing a desire to hear from the other participant. We've heard Ellis's view of the session and it was much appreciated and very interesting. Electro's is no less interesting or valid.

By using insulting phrases to describe anyone looking for a balanced view, I think you come across as someone with an entrenched position to protect rather than someone with an open mind.
fair comment..ill be less objectionable...in a page or two the inevitable bickering will start..i was preempting it I suppose..but the comments were let's see what electro said..mmm? Is not the saucepan simmering already? All of the op lengthy and interesting observations were met with hardly a sentence or two? Am I wrong young tom?

iceman16

ellisdj said:
I can make all my own cables and have made loads of my own. I know roughly what they do but I know for a fact whatever I made wouldn't be as good and by the time I made tested made tested spent money on all the bits and connectors it would cost so much I might as well just buy what I like within affordability and not have the stress of all the above. It's the affording and finding that's the hard part with these though

In terms of what is better its preference My system is suited to me more bass power and more bass than Electro by a lot. More to the mid range in terms of richness and fullness smoother treble. He needs to hear it and report back. I don't think he will like it though but hopefully can appreciate it. His has better stage and presence much bigger room and speakers. His system does drums better and attacks more where mine plays it safe by comparison. His has larger individual elements of the sound which makes it more authentic and more space between them I am space limited.

His is technically much better proper hi quality hifi components, mine is a computer and av bits - so very interested to see what he thinks I have done with it.

I liked his system a lot but I would want to work on it to make it suit me if that makes sense. I think he is really happy with it how it is which is great for him because that is what matters

Hi Ellis.. Can you please let me or us know what your system consists of?

Cheers mate

abacus

As a write up, your feelings about the changes are as would be expected, however as a comparison to see if cables make a difference, it is meaningless, as you knew what was going on and when. (You had not removed external influences)

Regarding the type of music, then any tester worth his salt (In any test) would use the type of music that the listener is familiar with, otherwise there would be no frame of reference.

It is always good to hear listener’s observations though.

Bill

It has to be said that the system tested was over complicated and maybe a simpler system with overall cable changes at more reasonable cost would have sufficed...making it more realistic...but electro does sound cool and reminds me of my youth in the 80's with the elecro albums....God I wish I could still break dance.lol.the nostalgia of it all.

Dom

Well done, sounds like you had a fab day. I feel we are no closer in the cable debate than before, only that cheap cables are fine. I'll keep that in mind.

The system sounds wonderful along with the room you tested in.

What was the mains conditioner that he uses? Not a big deal just interested, is it an Isotek.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
tl;dr

have to check it out in a device other than my phone.

Of course, none of it is valid unless you and electro poked one another's eyes out before conducting any testing :p

Edit - gone back and read it. Did I really read that you'd love to hear the system fine tuned with 30,000 pounds worth of cable?
I truly want to believe that for 30,000 there are bigger advantages to be made by spending on things other than cables.

Of course, without double blind testing it's not exactly proof of the difference in cables. Just knowing, or even thinking, cables have been changed, without knowing what the changes are, can result in differences being heard. Still, sounds like you had fun, and I'm jealous. I'd certainly love to hear his system.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
2 commenters have missed the point and probably didn't read the whole ramble.

Please read the conclusion again last 4 lines or so. Yes I would like to hear the system with 30k worth of cables in it. Yes an individual might choose to spend the money on something else and that's fine obviously.

Mains conditioners isotek titan and nova

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
iceman16 said:
ellisdj said:

In terms of what is better its preference My system is suited to me more bass power and more bass than Electro by a lot. More to the mid range in terms of richness and fullness smoother treble. He needs to hear it and report back. I don't think he will like it though but hopefully can appreciate it. His has better stage and presence much bigger room and speakers. His system does drums better and attacks more where mine plays it safe by comparison. His has larger individual elements of the sound which makes it more authentic and more space between them I am space limited.

Hi Ellis.. Can you please let me or us know what your system consists of?

Cheers mate

I used to have it all listed in the signature but whf asked to remove bug signatures for a link a build thread. I need to do one but it takes ages write all out with pictures

K

keeper of the quays

ID. said:
tl;dr

have to check it out in a device other than my phone.  

Of course, none of it is valid unless you and electro poked one another's eyes out before conducting any testing :p

Edit - gone back and read it. Did I really read that you'd love to hear the system fine tuned with 30,000 pounds worth of cable?I truly want to believe that for 30,000 there are bigger advantages to be made by spending on things other than cables.

Of course, without double blind testing it's not exactly proof of the difference in cables. Just knowing, or even thinking, cables have been changed, without knowing what the changes are, can result in differences being heard. Still, sounds like you had fun, and I'm jealous. I'd certainly love to hear his system.
I thought that this was test of cheap cables are fine through wide range hifi? The dude and Dave seem to suggest as long as its of sufficient quality any cable is fine..so freebie cables would do the job.Where are these freebie cables? I think in terms of a test this was a valid one..the two gentleman listened with their ears, not relying on blind testing or some scientist in a white coat whispering in their ear. Id is quite correct in his comments that cables do make a difference but spending large amounts of money isn't justified! The real point I feel is can one tell the difference? It seems the science fans can't hear this difference.and the people who think they can hear differences are deluded by bias or are half witted? My home test was a simple one I changed my LFD interconnect from my power amp to pre with a Belkin Av interconnect. When I first did this I thought blimey Dave and the dude are right! I'm wrong..as it sounded pretty good.but when I listened carefully for longer it became more and more clear it me that there were differences and these were like chalk and cheese..but it requires careful listening.and of course decent equipment in the first place! Having a interconnect that costs more than amp and pre amp is silly but it's not as silly as saying freebie cables sound exactly the same. I think about a £100 interconnect is reasonable.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It's each to their own on spending what amount on what but if you hear something and really like it and really want it in your system you only have 2 options.
Cough up or listen without- I would chose the former where I can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts