Day of Testing Cheap Cables vs Expensive - write up as promised

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
keeper of the quays said:
expat_mike said:
dear Mr chebby, they say imitation is a sincere form of flattery! But you have the advantage of me..as i am at a loss to know what this Anderson character actually wrote? Whatever it was, it seems to have rankled a good part of the members of this friendly and helpful forum...perhaps you could find one of his posts? So at least i can see if there is this comparison?

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/streaming-and-hifi-quality

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/how-about-what-hifi-subreddit

Look get your noses out of the trough of old ideas and absurd notions..come to the illuminated side..the shiny pearls are waiting ..

Explain.

I would love to be enlightened.

K

keeper of the quays

plastic penguin said:
expat_mike said:
dear Mr chebby, they say imitation is a sincere form of flattery! But you have the advantage of me..as i am at a loss to know what this Anderson character actually wrote? Whatever it was, it seems to have rankled a good part of the members of this friendly and helpful forum...perhaps you could find one of his posts? So at least i can see if there is this comparison?

Look get your noses out of the trough of old ideas and absurd notions..come to the illuminated side..the shiny pearls are waiting ..

Explain.

as if by magic! A brayer appears..tah dah!!!...ok I'll try to explain what I meant..the cosy club don't like change..you have your views and will never change them..when a hifi enthusiastic asks a question? The first part is usually don't shoot me down? Then the question appears..this is because of the cosy clubs combative nature..people seem afraid to ask questions in case the old guard turn on them for having the temerity to ask anything..i like this not..its strangling this forum..if you want a nice natter and to mull over past victories? And congratulate yourselves on seeing off another hifi newbie...with your pathetic sarcasm and patronising attitude..try forming your own forum..you'll never get any new members...and the cosy club can bluster and blather to your hearts content..hope this explains things.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Rob G said:
try forming your own forum..you'll never get any new members...and the cosy club can bluster and blather to your hearts content..hope this explains things.

Like you tried to do when you went by the name of Anderson.

oh I nearly forgot ,you also think you are Plastic penguin.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/about-site/humorous-and-ridiculous-forum-posts-2015-awards

[/quote]

I have no intention of taking sides here, but Rob G how can you appear to be so well informed after only joining the forum on the 28th April 2016. Just curious? *smile*

K

keeper of the quays

Rob G said:
try forming your own forum..you'll never get any new members...and the cosy club can bluster and blather to your hearts content..hope this explains things.

Like you tried to do when you went by the name of Anderson.

oh I nearly forgot ,you also think you are Plastic penguin.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/about-site/humorous-and-ridiculous-forum-posts-2015-awards 

[/quote]a talking donkey! Whatever next? I'll speak slowly so you get what I'm saying..im not or have ever been Anderson..if you took a moment to look at this Andersons posts, they are tedious and uninteresting his responses also lack any rigour and he just isn't funny..look at my posts ..you have to admit they are good..humorous..poking fun gently..holding up the silly remarks in the light of day showing their absurdity! My syntax is so different to this Anderson...i am interested in your opinion on carrots! I'm sure your expertise on carrots is second to none..chantenay? Nice? What about the magno? Crunchy? But I think your favourite must be the Amsterdam forcing! Good choice..small and uninteresting..bit like your posts so far..try harder.

K

keeper of the quays

expat_mike said:

Thanks mike, I see no comparison..im funny..he isn't..i don't intend to offend his avatar was deeply offensive! I was hoping this Anderson might be able to provide a foil for my witticisms! Don't think so..the lhc is a lot more humorous..even Mr spiny seems reasonable...sorry the comparison I find a little upsetting really..I am a pearl before swine here! Come on you swine try being pearls...its really nice being a pearl..no grumpiness..no blather..no drivel..look get your noses out of the trough of old ideas and absurd notions..come to the illuminated side..the shiny pearls are waiting ..I would like to make a additional comment..i don't think all the forum members are swine..far from it..mostly nice and courteous..i wrote the above without any thought and reading it..i sound like a complete twit..so if I have offended anyone I apologise..but the bit about me being a pearl? I think it's true..the keeper isn't so high and mighty as to not see when he is in error! Hope you appreciate my humility..look my pearl just got shinier... :)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
busb said:
DomCheetham said:
Fair enough, I'm making mistakes. I will take off those ferrite beads.

A big thank you to both electro for hosting & ellisdg for supplying some rather expensive bits of wire. When I done something similar as host with friends, I was less convinced with interconnects than with speaker cable - by an order of magnitude! The only time I've thought I heard a difference was when comparing Chord Chamelian RCAs with £10 0.5m XLRs - that may have been more to do with peer bias.

I used to make up my own RCA interconnects with DNM flat solid core with SME phono plugs. I had 2 sets between my amp & cassette deck 20 yrs ago. I fitted a large 60mm long ferrite clamp designed for digital signals through ribbon cables. The lost in SQ was so marked, I removed it within a day.
I used to suffer with peer bias..i like Brighton better than Eastbourne pier...but nowadays I'm not much fussed! I'm off to listen to peer gynt now...grieg rocks..bakers aren't bad either..all day breakfast bap! Yummy!

I had to recheck my spelling!

plastic penguin said:
expat_mike said:

Explain.

as if by magic! A brayer appears..tah dah!!!...ok I'll try to explain what I meant..the cosy club don't like change..you have your views and will never change them..when a hifi enthusiastic asks a question? The first part is usually don't shoot me down? Then the question appears..this is because of the cosy clubs combative nature..people seem afraid to ask questions in case the old guard turn on them for having the temerity to ask anything..i like this not..its strangling this forum..if you want a nice natter and to mull over past victories? And congratulate yourselves on seeing off another hifi newbie...with your pathetic sarcasm and patronising attitude..try forming your own forum..you'll never get any new members...and the cosy club can bluster and blather to your hearts content..hope this explains things.

That might be the case with one or two posters... not me. I've always tried to help newbies, if I can, or if not, then I'll try and point them in the right direction i.e. to either suggest demoing certain kit or hope that someone else, like Al ears, Cno, Macspur.... can do their question justice.

What newbie has been seen off? If anyone is accountable in that direction then I'm replying to him.

Just grow up and stop patronizing people!

Do yourself a favour: Change your attitude. No one wins friends acting like a berk.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
luckylion100 said:
one system isn't just different to the other but in fact better?! This could go on and on...

Confused by this was this aimed at me

But definitely prompted by your previous message, my take on it. Different people like different things fact, is it such a hard concept to accept? The arguments on this site are sometimes beyond tiresome (again not aimed at you) but little was proven in this experiment and I doubt you'll change Electros stance on things because you like different presentations in sound. So on we go... ;-)

K

keeper of the quays

plastic penguin said:
plastic penguin said:
expat_mike said:

Explain.

That might be the case with one or two posters... not me. I've always tried to help newbies, if I can, or if not, then I'll try and point them in the right direction i.e. to either suggest demoing certain kit or hope that someone else, like Al ears, Cno, Macspur.... can do their question justice.

What newbie has been seen off? If anyone is accountable in that direction then I'm replying to him.

Just grow up and stop patronizing people!

Do yourself a favour: Change your attitude. No one wins friends acting like a berk.
mmm..did you not call me a grimy oik! And allude to the hope I may just vanish? If you can give it...try taking it a little more graciously? Your vague hurt feeling high horse is nothing but a donkey in disguise.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Electro has hit nail on head but its why I said I would like to change all the cables.

I believe if we changed them all it would be the best of both presentations which in that room size on those speakers would be amazing simple as that. The cables are expensive but I have 100% confidence in them to do what I know they will do.

However it could be you change all the cables and holes in the setup get exposed at the same time so it's no guarantee. By holes I mean freq response, room acoustic issues etc.

Better cables = cleaner more accurate sound to the original sound with less added and taken away from it. So when you start taking away what's not supposed to be there and are only left with what's supposed to be there it's a very exposed presentation where the sound foundations like bass response for example need to be bang on.

I know I could work it out though to be the best of both but it wouldn't sound as it does now it would be different that not what Electro wants at the minute. That could change when hears the strengths of my system because they were lacking in his. No offence intended by thst he will see what I mean hopefully when he comes here :)

But it comes down to opinion and taste thats why people like or dislike certain brands, same with music. Its seems you like a more in the face, concentrated and fuller sound whilst Electro likes a more live, neatral sound and wider soundstage? As he says you are in the front row and he is about 6 rows back.

S

SemiChronic

What a great thread!

Im also firmly in the believers camp :)

Would be interesting if we could establish at what kind of source/amp pricerange do cables begin to make a difference.

Oh and congrats to the guys who hijacked this thread, to turn it into yet another keyboard pussy fight.

K

keeper of the quays

SemiChronic said:
What a great thread!

Would be interesting if we could establish at what kind of source/amp pricerange do cables begin to make a difference.

Oh and congrats to the guys who hijacked this thread, to turn it into yet another keyboard pussy fight.
I think £600 + is the start of wide range equipment..i also believe at that price a £100 interconnects would provide a good listening experience..on casual listening changing this for a £20 pair of interconnects..it seems little different! But on closer examination it's a gulf..its careful listening that's key to this..re pussy fight? I was set upon by a rabble! I valiantly fought them off with sword like words...some came skulking back to snarl from a distance, but i think we are now on calmer waters....

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
ellisdj said:
Electro has hit nail on head but its why I said I would like to change all the cables.

I believe if we changed them all it would be the best of both presentations which in that room size on those speakers would be amazing simple as that. The cables are expensive but I have 100% confidence in them to do what I know they will do.

However it could be you change all the cables and holes in the setup get exposed at the same time so it's no guarantee. By holes I mean freq response, room acoustic issues etc.

Better cables = cleaner more accurate sound to the original sound with less added and taken away from it. So when you start taking away what's not supposed to be there and are only left with what's supposed to be there it's a very exposed presentation where the sound foundations like bass response for example need to be bang on.

I know I could work it out though to be the best of both but it wouldn't sound as it does now it would be different that not what Electro wants at the minute. That could change when hears the strengths of my system because they were lacking in his. No offence intended by thst he will see what I mean hopefully when he comes here :)

But it comes down to opinion and taste thats why people like or dislike certain brands, same with music. Its seems you like a more in the face, concentrated and fuller sound whilst Electro likes a more live, neatral sound and wider soundstage? As he says you are in the front row and he is about 6 rows back.

Agreed to this and the poster before on this topic.
However when you hear familiar music you know what's there you don't normally have and what's not there that should be there.

I think electro will hear mine then realise there is something missing is his presentation same as I did when I heard his and other top systems

Then its a case of live without it or a case of getting to work to add that to your sound.

But once you have heard it you can never un hear it you will always notice it.

That's how we progress our systems - trick is knowing what to do to get what you want.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
SemiChronic said:
What a great thread!

The cost is not an issue every cable as its nuances.....

Provided you have decent kit with revealing enough speakers go from there....or not.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
First off enjoyable to read and interesting so thank you to both for that.

Second: i think its great that 2 forum members actually met up and had some sort of test and had an enjoyable day. I think thats great.

Third: and please dont take this the wrong way but the actual test was very flawed. And no one can make any real impressions from it.
If ive read correctly (forgive me if ive miss quoted) but to say that elecros very fine kit is only running at low performance because of his cables to me is a joke. But id welcome you to mine to prove to me anytime. And if you succeed. Id be the first one to admit.

TrevC

Thompsonuxb said:
SemiChronic said:
What a great thread!

Provided you have decent kit with revealing enough speakers go from there....or not.

You have to have decent kit with speakers revealing enough to display differences in mains cables that can't, and therefore don't, exist. This will obviously cost an arm and a leg.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
Thompsonuxb said:
SemiChronic said:
What a great thread!

You have to have decent kit with speakers revealing enough to display differences in mains cables that can't, and therefore don't, exist. This will obviously cost an arm and a leg.

Not sure what you are arguing.....if you''ve tried various power leads on an amp and found they make no difference.....ok.

If your 'makes no difference' is based on your understanding of the math/science......prrrrftt!

Either way..... :)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
If your 'makes no difference' is based on your understanding of the math/science......prrrrftt!

Exactly. Most of us know that maths and science are unreliable and results can vary considerably according to our health, mood, expectations, bias, atmospheric conditions, ambient temperature and god knows what else, whilst our ears and auditory memory are of course infallible.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
pauln said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Exactly. Most of us know that maths and science are unreliable and results can vary considerably according to our health, mood, expectations, bias, atmospheric conditions, ambient temperature and god knows what else, whilst our ears and auditory memory are of course infallible.

Lol......were you hiding in the bushes?

Honestly I don't have the energy - maybe another day.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:

Second: i think its great that 2 forum members actually met up and had some sort of test and had an enjoyable day. I think thats great.

Third: and please dont take this the wrong way but the actual test was very flawed. And no one can make any real impressions from it.
If ive read correctly (forgive me if ive miss quoted) but to say that elecros very fine kit is only running at low performance because of his cables to me is a joke. But id welcome you to mine to prove to me anytime. And if you succeed. Id be the first one to admit.

You read that wrong. To me its running ok as is but could be a lot better with certain cabling and acoustic treatment. Electro likes it how it sounds now so is happy. That's all that matters really.

I could do a similar test for you depending on where you live. You might need some speakers first though

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Andrewjvt said:

Third: and please dont take this the wrong way but the actual test was very flawed. And no one can make any real impressions from it. If ive read correctly (forgive me if ive miss quoted) but to say that elecros very fine kit is only running at low performance because of his cables to me is a joke. But id welcome you to mine to prove to me anytime. And if you succeed. Id be the first one to admit.

You read that wrong. To me its running ok as is but could be a lot better with certain cabling and acoustic treatment. Electro likes it how it sounds now so is happy. That's all that matters really.

I could do a similar test for you depending on where you live. You might need some speakers first though

So you agree a system can sound good with cheap cabling?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts