Day of Testing Cheap Cables vs Expensive - write up as promised

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
K

keeper of the quays

Thompsonuxb said:
Lol.....the sense of bewilderment in this thread.....

Ok, so both electro and ellisdj heard the same thing - personal preferences to one side.

Subtle differences with the swapping of a cable but with a substantial impact with regards one's enjoyment of the music.

Both give a very similar testimony to events. Yet some continue with 'its in the mind' others with '
they all sound the same' no one yet as come out with 'told you so....'.

If they had disagreed about the differences -both ends of the debate still intact we'd have something to argue.....but this?

What now?
What now? To answer to your question it was always going to be like this..people like hifi..forums are just about filling some time in between going to shops or doing the garden..we are all like minded and if things get a bit emotive it's because we hold our views on hifi dear to our heart and as you get older things seem to be taken away more than given! But our hifi? We own that! This is why things get a little heated..and with this thread two people listened to music and even got on! Lol...all of us would do exactly the same thing..we would put our views to one side..as it's nice to meet someone who likes music and how it sounds..and if I get a load of flack with this post I won't respond as photons have humbled me...for a while at least!

Dom

expat_mike said:
DomCheetham said:
Fair enough, I'm making mistakes. I will take off those ferrite beads.

Ferrite beads are designed to remove RF interference, usually from usb cables - so that is a valid application. Shop bought usb cables normally only have one ferrite bead, positioned near one end of the cable.

If you talk about using more than two (one at each end of the cable), and experimenting with their positions, to optimise the sound quality, you will inevitably find that some people on this forum will question your sanity.

In contrast if you read other forums, like this one about the chord mojo http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?advanced=1&byuser=&containingthread%5B0%5D=784602&newer=1&output=posts&resultSortingPreference=recency&sdate=0&search=rf+interference&type=all&start=25 , there are regular discussions about how to remove RF interference, all conducted in a civil and friendly manner.

The importance of removing RF interference in order to maximise the sound quality is discussed in several posts (eg posts 30 and 47) in this thread about the 2qute dac http://www.head-fi.org/t/749582/chord-electronics-2qute-dac-announced/45 .

So removing RF interference is important, but it can be achieved simply and cheaply with just a couple of ferrite beads.

Thanks, I will check those links. Its fun to experiment.

Finally to ellisdj, good luck and may the HiFi impress.

ellisdj said:
We all get used to a sound and think it's right, but that doesn't mean it is or is 100% right.

That's the issue for me. Most of us, unless we are lucky enough to have several different kits strewn around the house, only hear our systems in isolation.

Would be good to test the same cables with a modest set-up - and see how those findings stack up against yours and Electros.

Dom

The conclusion is that they make small differences. This means we should spend less on audio cables and more on speakers for example.

Ofcourse, the dream is spending a small amount on something that will settle or balance your HiFi, thats why expensive cables exist.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Been out of signal all day so just catching up. Thanks to electro for writing the truth a hifi friend yes mate I hope so too.

Electro only heard but a brief taste of my taste in my sound presentation. He needs to come and hear it 100% not 15% makes a big difference . That will explain my comments more hopefully and may convert him. We all get used to a sound and think it's right, but that doesn't mean it is or is 100% right.

I am now really looking forward to this so I can show him how I apply my trade. I think he will be surprised or won't be expecting it to be as is.

I have a few of his test cds on their way to me. The music we listened to was a little safe in selection even though varied. That won't be the case when you come here.
Come and hear how big a small system by comparison can sound ;)

Had a great day buddy looking forward to the next one.

What is your trade that you apply or speak of and what is your kit?

Just amp and speakers will do, we dont need all the cables.

This will help us see where you are comming from

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry by applying my trade I just mean setting up a system in a room.
The kit is irrelevant to a degree because no one would have heard this kit sound like this unless they have heard this combo in my room.

Please note Last post was written after a lot of sherberts at a family wedding :)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
The kit is irrelevant to a degree because no one would have heard this kit sound like this unless they have heard this combo in my room.

but I disagree with the above. You make constant claims about how great your kit sounds yet seemingly refuse to disclose what it consists of. Some on here with massively impressive and expensive kit may view my opinions irrelevant or uneducated based on my listed kit, its limitations etc compared to their own. Yet still I partake and make my equipment visible. Nobody has heard my system in it's current surroundings or perhaps in its particular combination, most could say that no? Not arguing here but great claims are being made whilst the kit remains in the shadows it seems. All I ask for is a little transparency.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
DomCheetham said:

A big thank you to both electro for hosting & ellisdg for supplying some rather expensive bits of wire. When I done something similar as host with friends, I was less convinced with interconnects than with speaker cable - by an order of magnitude! The only time I've thought I heard a difference was when comparing Chord Chamelian RCAs with £10 0.5m XLRs - that may have been more to do with peer bias.

I used to make up my own RCA interconnects with DNM flat solid core with SME phono plugs. I had 2 sets between my amp & cassette deck 20 yrs ago. I fitted a large 60mm long ferrite clamp designed for digital signals through ribbon cables. The lost in SQ was so marked, I removed it within a day.

K

keeper of the quays

luckylion100 said:
ellisdj said:

but I disagree with the above. You make constant claims about how great your kit sounds yet seemingly refuse to disclose what it consists of. Some on here with massively impressive and expensive kit may view my opinions irrelevant or uneducated based on my listed kit, its limitations etc compared to their own. Yet still I partake and make my equipment visible. Nobody has heard my system in it's current surroundings or perhaps in its particular combination, most could say that no? Not arguing here but great claims are being made whilst the kit remains in the shadows it seems. All I ask for is a little transparency.
I wouldn't sneer at anyone's kit. But I take exception to certain people who take it upon themselves to tell me that im deluded and freebie cables are exactly the same which in itself is annoying but then you find out their kit is nowhere near the quality that is needed to reveal those nuances of music which are prized by hifi buffs as this start of audio nirvana..then to cap it all? These sagacious owls say they rely on science and ohms law and graphs and white coated scientific dogma..to form their views! And I do listen with my ears..brains can be deceived! Theres a saying which is 'bs baffles brains' these geeks who live by science in their ivory towers should get out more? Go for a walk? Breathe the outside air! Spending all your free hours in the lab? Gives you flab! Lol...the pub beckons..come and have a laugh! Play pool? Don't take everything so seriously! :)

K

keeper of the quays

busb said:
DomCheetham said:

A big thank you to both electro for hosting & ellisdg for supplying some rather expensive bits of wire. When I done something similar as host with friends, I was less convinced with interconnects than with speaker cable - by an order of magnitude! The only time I've thought I heard a difference was when comparing Chord Chamelian RCAs with £10 0.5m XLRs - that may have been more to do with peer bias.

I used to make up my own RCA interconnects with DNM flat solid core with SME phono plugs. I had 2 sets between my amp & cassette deck 20 yrs ago. I fitted a large 60mm long ferrite clamp designed for digital signals through ribbon cables. The lost in SQ was so marked, I removed it within a day. 
I used to suffer with peer bias..i like Brighton better than Eastbourne pier...but nowadays I'm not much fussed! I'm off to listen to peer gynt now...grieg rocks..bakers aren't bad either..all day breakfast bap! Yummy!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
ellisdj said:

I used to have it all listed in a big signature but whf asked people to remove big signatures for a system thread instead so I did, I haven't done the thread yet.

But there is one I did a year ago on av forum a lot is the same so you can look that up if you want more details

There is only 1 forum member who has heard my audio pc so far- it will mean nothing to anyone else.
I have meridian bryston monitor audio platinum then a lot of other stuff. Trust me it's good enough gear for excellent sound.

The reason I say it's irrelevant and about applying my trade is because plonking down expensive boxes in a room doesn't guarantee great sound. So just listing boxes is not the full picture.

keeper of the quays said:
busb said:
DomCheetham said:

I used to suffer with peer bias..i like Brighton better than Eastbourne pier...but nowadays I'm not much fussed! I'm off to listen to peer gynt now...grieg rocks..bakers aren't bad either..all day breakfast bap! Yummy!

About time It happend again .

K

keeper of the quays

Rob G said:
busb said:
DomCheetham said:

I'm not Anderson 100% not! I'm sorry you have no sense of humour? Do you spend the whole day grumpy? What a drag that must be.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
luckylion100 said:
ellisdj said:

I used to have it all listed in a big signature but whf asked people to remove big signatures for a system thread instead so I did, I haven't done the thread yet.

But there is one I did a year ago on av forum a lot is the same so you can look that up if you want more details

There is only 1 forum member who has heard my audio pc so far- it will mean nothing to anyone else. I have meridian bryston monitor audio platinum then a lot of other stuff. Trust me it's good enough gear for excellent sound.

The reason I say it's irrelevant and about applying my trade is because plonking down expensive boxes in a room doesn't guarantee great sound. So just listing boxes is not the full picture.

That's all I asked for, some idea. Regards

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Naaaah, c'mon electro, seriously did you hear a difference?

Stop with the politeness and the lovely dovey it was such a good day....Stop messing about!

Did you hear differences when the cable was swapped?

Yes I really did hear a difference !

The music remained unchanged but the presentation changed considerably, it was like the difference between sitting in the front seats dead centre as close a possible to the performers focused on the core of the sound ( ellisdj's preference ) and sitting five or six rows back and being able to see the big picture with all the instruments spread out with a more live music feel ( my preference ) .

I was surprised to say the least ! expectation bias of some sort, hmmmm possibly but I was the one that suggested that there was a difference to ellisdj and he confirmed my thoughts.

As I said before I am not like some on the forum that say it is impossible for cables to make a difference, on the contrary I think they can make a difference but I also believe that you don't have to spend much money to get a perfect transparent cable .

I would rather spend the money on better equipment or room treatments but my mind is fully open and I am prepared to be convinced otherwise. *smile*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Rob G said:
busb said:
DomCheetham said:

I'm not Anderson 100% not! I'm sorry you have no sense of humour? Do you spend the whole day grumpy? What a drag that must be.

It barely matters whether you really are 'Anderson' or not. If you resemble the original enough to convince so many people ("if it walks like a duck ... ") then you might as well be.

K

keeper of the quays

chebby said:
Rob G said:
busb said:
DomCheetham said:

It barely matters whether you really are 'Anderson' or not. If you resemble the original enough to convince so many people ("if it walks like a duck ... ") then you might as well be.
dear Mr chebby, they say imitation is a sincere form of flattery! But you have the advantage of me..as i am at a loss to know what this Anderson character actually wrote? Whatever it was, it seems to have rankled a good part of the members of this friendly and helpful forum...perhaps you could find one of his posts? So at least i can see if there is this comparison?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
dear Mr chebby, they say imitation is a sincere form of flattery! But you have the advantage of me..as i am at a loss to know what this Anderson character actually wrote? Whatever it was, it seems to have rankled a good part of the members of this friendly and helpful forum...perhaps you could find one of his posts? So at least i can see if there is this comparison?

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/streaming-and-hifi-quality

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/how-about-what-hifi-subreddit

expat_mike said:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/streaming-and-hifi-quality

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/how-about-what-hifi-subreddit
Thanks mike, I see no comparison..im funny..he isn't..i don't intend to offend his avatar was deeply offensive! I was hoping this Anderson might be able to provide a foil for my witticisms! Don't think so..the lhc is a lot more humorous..even Mr spiny seems reasonable...sorry the comparison I find a little upsetting really..I am a pearl before swine here! Come on you swine try being pearls...its really nice being a pearl..no grumpiness..no blather..no drivel..look get your noses out of the trough of old ideas and absurd notions..come to the illuminated side..the shiny pearls are waiting ..

Jij bent een klootzak.

go look it up.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
As a casual observer I have no idea what is going on?

Why has Rob G joined on the 28/04/16 and within 3 days and 4 posts indicated that TKOTK's is Anderson?

It's better than a detective drama on tv *scratch_one-s_head*

K

keeper of the quays

jonathanRD said:

Why has Rob G joined on the 28/04/16 and within 3 days and 4 posts indicated that TKOTK's is Anderson?

It's better than a detective drama on tv *scratch_one-s_head*

I think this rob g is a stalking horse...sent by or is by disguise one of the cosy club? Think if they send this donkey it will confound me and cause me to clear off as I'm upsetting the apple cart! The cosy club is in reality a trough where old gnarlers go to bolster each other and think about the old days whilst fighting each other for turnip tops! Send more donkeys...ill provide the fodder you provide the braying..

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
jonathanRD said:

It's better than a detective drama on tv *scratch_one-s_head*
I think this rob g is a stalking horse...sent by or is by disguise one of the cosy club? Think if they send this donkey it will confound me and cause me to clear off as I'm upsetting the apple cart! The cosy club is in reality a trough where old gnarlers go to bolster each other and think about the old days whilst fighting each other for turnip tops! Send more donkeys...ill provide the fodder you provide the braying..

ooh! a conspiracy theory too - what's next? *secret*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Electro has hit nail on head but its why I said I would like to change all the cables.

I believe if we changed them all it would be the best of both presentations which in that room size on those speakers would be amazing simple as that. The cables are expensive but I have 100% confidence in them to do what I know they will do.

However it could be you change all the cables and holes in the setup get exposed at the same time so it's no guarantee. By holes I mean freq response, room acoustic issues etc.

Better cables = cleaner more accurate sound to the original sound with less added and taken away from it. So when you start taking away what's not supposed to be there and are only left with what's supposed to be there it's a very exposed presentation where the sound foundations like bass response for example need to be bang on.

I know I could work it out though to be the best of both but it wouldn't sound as it does now it would be different that not what Electro wants at the minute. That could change when hears the strengths of my system because they were lacking in his. No offence intended by thst he will see what I mean hopefully when he comes here :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts