I'm bored with hi-fi.

Trying something new can be a catalyst. Doesn’t have to be expensive or big, just a change. For example, I fitted a Shibata stylus to my cart, cost around £100 but gave a lift, and got me listening to more records. Kept me interested, made me look forward to getting home and playing music.

Reactions: jonboywalton75

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
I think most hi-fi enthusiast have a point with the hobby where they become disinterested. A point where they no longer look forward to coming home at the end of the day and turning on their system and listening to music. I know I have experienced this personally, on numerous occasions. I found overtime though that what mattered to me was quitting the chase that so often " real " enthusiast claim is good.

I quit going after that" audiophile " ideal and started focusing on getting equipment and music that I thoroughly enjoyed listening to, it's almost like I fell in love with listening to music all over again.

I think another suggestion is to do as another commenter suggested, which is change up your system a little. It doesn't have to be super expensive and you know just try something new. A different cartridge on your turntable or maybe new cables, that's if you believe in that sort of thing, maybe getting a new set of speakers or any number of things.

Another thing to try is explore new music, not just music you haven't heard by bands or musicians that you regularly listen to, no I'm talking about explorer new types of music and new genres and new artists and things you never thought you would ever like.

That's something I've done over time, I used to really truly loathe jazz music, but when I went through a similar crisis, somebody offered the same suggestion to me. So I found a jazz album I liked, John coltrane's my favorite things and I started listening to it and I kept listening to it until I really truly liked it. Then I started exploring more of his catalog and then that branched into well who was playing the piano on that particular album, I mean it sounded really great, so then I started checking out Bill Evans and then Miles Davis and so on and so forth. I've done that numerous times with every genre of music you could probably name.

Anyway sorry to be verbose, however I thought I would offer some suggestions that have brought me out of the doldrums and boredom that sometimes accompany our hobby.

Reactions: Symples

Gray

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Just checked pricing for my floorstanders

£360😱😱😱

Speakers were only £500 🤔🤔
Yeah, not the cheapest upgrade, your floorstanders would be naturally suited to the gaia's. it only starts to make sense when the system is at a certain level, and I believe Pp's is at that level, the rubicons are around 2k, So £300 for such a improvement of his system really is a no brainer.

Reactions: jonboywalton75

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Still love the sound of my bundles, have used it sparingly over the last couple of weeks. Hope I'm not falling out of love with the kit. Perhaps I've had the amp too long, I don't really know - I'm scratching for an answer.
Isn't this normal to loose interest in any given hobby or persuit every now and then.
It happens to me in cycles usually until I hear a hair raising on the back of the neck track that I must hear through a decent kit.

I cycle genres then stop with hifi all together for months at a time.
Then that song or life event comes round and music becomes once again my focus.

Only recently I picked hifi up again from settling with a hardly used one for years to building afresh.

The reason was my favourite mission 763i speakers gave in after years of happy service.
Even now I only have it on say 20 minutes every few days if that.
Even doubling the original budget I still miss the older missions.

Then it for whatever reason changes.
Recently it's bass traps as the room I've got my main set in isn't ideal, infact it's shape plays havok with music in general.

Ive box shifted and demoed more than I can remember from a very young age and it's surprising what system I've liked the most out of all to date.

I'm in the process of finding my happy place so I can once again focus on enjoying flicking that switch and enjoying whatever it is I'm listening to without analysing the sound.

Maybe it's just the way you feel at the moment.
There is times when a new box is needed to rekindle the love affair unfortunately that seems to be the way with everything.

Friesiansam

Future Shop’s ludicrous fuses rear their ugly head again…😂

Reactions: Gray

matthewpianist

I've had periods of losing interest too, PP.

Sometimes these have been forced onto me by circumstances and partners, other times it has just been a natural and probably inevitable thing.

I've done enough chasing, swapping and listening to know that 'improvements' can often be marginal at best, however expensive. In a typical real-world home there are limits to what is possible, and changes often result in 'different' rather than 'better'. Apart from the enjoyment of having a new box, that can make this hobby become stale pretty easily.

The part I never tire of, even when I've had to fight for the time and space to listen, is the music. That's the centre of my world, and it's all too easy to lose sight of it when distracted by the hi-fi. 20 years ago I had a NAD C521BEE, C325BEE and Mordaunt-Short MS902i's and it brought the music to life. I've had some great kit along the way since then, though quite a bit of it has been disappointing in relation to the investment made, and nothing has been more engaging. I'm re-living that now with a C320BEE, which makes a great team with the Cyrus Linear ONE speakers. I'd like a C521BEE to match when I have the funds and find a good example, but the Sony is doing a great job anyway. My other system is also very affordable and highly involving.

The key is that both leave me to focus on the music and mostly forget about the boxes, and I would venture that your system achieves the same. Are you exploring new music? Perhaps this is what you need - a focus on the whole point of the hi-fi habit. Why not add a streamer, use a hi-res service like Qobuz which offers a whole world of music, and then buy physical copies of the things that really hit you. It's what I do, and a good streamer doesn't need to cost a fortune. The WiiM Pro Plus is good enough to challenge much more expensive streamers, but even the WiiM Pro is very capable.

DCarmi

Hmmm! Why? The sound system, whatever it is is just a means to play tunes. You seem happy with the system, so some new music, perhaps a new genre, or revisit stuff you've not listened to for a while, might be the ticket.

I've rediscovered music after going through a dip in playing a while back. I have a fairly eclectic taste in music but I listened to some stuff new to me, or stuff I had not listened to ages, and was re-invigorated.

I guess my CD and LP collection has increased by a couple of hundred in the past 2 of years. The "other-half" actually bought me a Kallax unit to handle the overflow of LPs (need something for the stacks of CDs by the bed!) ..and I also stream for music discovery.

The thing I do enjoy is putting on e.g. some quiet chamber music and reading at bedtime. I probably read 3 or 4 books last year. With the new regime this year, I am up to 12.

Basically, I don't think the problem is resolved by new kit. I think it is the musical and lifestyle rut you are in that needs addressing. 🤔

Reactions: ianrjones

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Going through exactly the same thoughts at the moment. Pretty bored of it all. I don’t really get chance to listen much and if I do it’s normally late at night.

I’m not even interested in the chase anymore

I tried adding a small inexpensive box in the Wim pro, but I find it uninteresting to listen to,
so hasn’t rekindled my love affair.

Buy it comes in waves, this time of year I’m starting to pursue my other interests and starting to ramp up the cycling and training for the TT season and a summer of riding. In all honesty I find more interesting anyhow.

Why not add a streamer, use a hi-res service like Qobuz which offers a whole world of music, and then buy physical copies of the things that really hit you. It's what I do, and a good streamer doesn't need to cost a fortune. The WiiM Pro Plus is good enough to challenge much more expensive streamers, but even the WiiM Pro is very capable.
You could argue that even the cheapest streamer and streaming service is enough to tell you whether you like something enough to buy.

Gray

The thing I do enjoy is putting on e.g. some quiet chamber music and reading at bedtime. I probably read 3 or 4 books last year. With the new regime this year, I am up to 12.
This will sound strange (even to me a bit 🙂)
but I've never read a book.

Not totally true, school made me read one - can't even remember what it was, might've been 'Lord of the Flies'.
(Doubt I read 5 pages of it).

Reading and listening simultaneously 😱.....unthinkable to me.

But the day hi-fi 'bores' me, is the day I will be bored with life.

Friesiansam

Still love the sound of my bundles, have used it sparingly over the last couple of weeks. Hope I'm not falling out of love with the kit. Perhaps I've had the amp too long, I don't really know - I'm scratching for an answer.
I’ve always blown hot and cold, periods of listening to music often and other periods where I listen to nothing at all, for weeks or even months. Never worry about it…

Reactions: DougK1
It’s a bit of a drive, but how about a day here, to refresh your lugs?

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
I’ve always blown hot and cold, periods of listening to music often and other periods where I listen to nothing at all, for weeks or even months. Never worry about it…
Me too. Just go in phases, dependent very much on mood, sometimes silence is all I want to hear, other times I'll hit the tunes heavily. Season affects my listening habits too, with summer approaching outdoor pursuits become more of a draw than sitting listening to music. I actually had a period of about 15 years where I didn't even own a working hifi.

It’s a bit of a drive, but how about a day here, to refresh your lugs?

Could do. I could also visit Silverstone car auctions, make it a double event.

Reactions: nopiano

Friesiansam

Me too. Just go in phases, dependent very much on mood, sometimes silence is all I want to hear, other times I'll hit the tunes heavily. Season affects my listening habits too, with summer approaching outdoor pursuits become more of a draw than sitting listening to music. I actually had a period of about 15 years where I didn't even own a working hifi.
I had a period of many years, with no way of listening to music, after getting into computers. Also about 15 years, if I remember correctly.

Just checked my Amazon history, confirms that I bought an Asus Xonar Essence STX and AKG K550s in October 2014. That is how and when I got started on my way to where I am now, with the Pathos DAC/headphone amp, and Focal Elegias. Since I got my ears cleared out, they have been sounding really good again!

Reactions: DougK1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts