I'm bored with hi-fi.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Wow, that's extreme Gray.
It is PP and seemingly over-dramatic and ridiculous. But I should give some context.

I'm very slowly recovering from a long overdue bout of something (sent to cane me severely for managing to avoid all colds / flu / Covid, for at least 5 years)......meaning that I've currently got muffled hearing - think about what you might hear with your head in a bucket of water.

Listening to the hi-fi the other day lacked all of the qualities that makes hi-fi worth owning.

Then there's the news I got of a baby boy in the extended family - weeks into his life, tests indicate that he may have 80% hearing loss.
I've been on the verge of tears thinking about the fact that he may never hear anything more than my bucket of water analogy.

Although my normal hearing is less than perfect, I never take it (nor any other aspect of health) for granted - and being bored by hi-fi is not a possibility for me.

Having said that, I fully understand what you and others are saying about blowing hot and cold.
As we've said before, a change is as good as a rest.

In the right mood, playing the right music, whatever it cost, our hi-fi is worth every penny 👍

matthewpianist

You could argue that even the cheapest streamer and streaming service is enough to tell you whether you like something enough to buy.
Yes, but some music can certainly engage differently in higher quality sound. TIDAL's top tier is coming down in price in April, so it isn't an expensive subscription. A WiiM Mini would sound pretty decent with that, at £89.

DCarmi

reading and listening simultaneously 😱.....unthinkable to me.
It's an anti-distraction thing. When you have other people in the house any noise they make is an annoyance and distracts from whatever you are doing. I think it is part of our natural survival instinct. Music masks those noises.

The best music, for this, is stuff I know quite well but not necessarily something I'd choose to sit down and really listen to, preferably instrumental.

Now, if I were to get rid of the others in the house, I could choose to read in silence or blast out some prog rock! Hmmm...

(As I type this the dog is with me cleaning her nails after a walk. That noise is really distracting!)

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Please let us know how that goes, probably go for a couple of those myself for my focals👍
Apologies for straying off the thread subject - but I was unable to post the picture on a private message.

Just wanted to say that these are 290cm square, by now probably more than the £5 that I paid in B&Q.
(You can see why I might be interested in something different 😉).
IMG_20240321_154623_MP.jpg

Reactions: jonboywalton75

The_Lecht_Rocks

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
Is that the PMC Prodigy 5?
Any chance of posting a link to the chopping boards you've bought?
Yes, my PMC's. Wonderful speakers to be fair, I'm bowled over by their deep deep grip !

Dunelm for the granite blocks......;

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

ianrjones

Aug 31, 2023
Visit site
Back to the boring theme, I suffer with bouts of depression. I find new or at least interesting music by recording Joules Holland shows. After searching for something to play for about 20 mins, with no joy, I watch an episode or two. Then order something online.
I had a long period of low satisfaction with everything. So decided to uprade my kit. But ended up replacing the entire system. I'm not sorry, and the process of buying and waiting for the deliveries, gave me positive thoughts. I'm not alone, as 20% of us are living life undiagnosed.
When you are told that " My neuro senders are rusfusing to fire dopamine across the synapses." And only drugs can make a difference.

Reactions: DougK1

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, my PMC's. Wonderful speakers to be fair, I'm bowled over by their deep deep grip !

Dunelm for the granite blocks......;
Cheers for the link, did they do much for the sound?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts