What do you think of my system?

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi all and welcome to this post. For some reason it did not post last time I saved it and could I could not find it!?

I want to know what others honestly think of my budget HI-FI system, what they would rate it, and how it compares to other systems; I regard it as a budget system based on how much one can spend on a system and its components. I am also always surprised how much components such as separates and speakers can cost.

Also what is my systems bigest weakness in your opnion if any? For me it is the phono cartridge what I may replace with a Audio Techncia AT-150MLX

Below shows what my system consists of and how much I paid (British pounds/US dollars):

Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers - £250/$389

Denon PMA-720AE Amplifier - £170/$265

Denon DCD-720AE CD Player - £170/$265

Denon DNP-720AE Network Player - £200/$311

Technics SL-1200 MK2 Turntable - £430/$669

Goldring Elektra MM phono cartridge - £50/$78

20 Meters 2.5mm2 79 twin strand speaker cable - £15/$23

How my system is set up:

· Speakers are set up with speaker grills off, directly wired to amp without banana plugs, not bi-wired, positive wire directly connected to LF terminal and negative directly wire connected to HF terminal. Speaker cable interlinking HF and LF terminals together.

· Phono cartridge tracking at 1.8 grams with anti-skate set to 1.8 as well. Cartridge aligned with overhang gauge.

· Amp with loudness turned on, treble at max, bass at normal.

· Separates connected to amp with standard RCA phono cables.

· Cable from amp to each speaker about 5 meters.

Pictures of my system:

hifi_1.jpg

hifi_2.jpg

hifi_3.jpg

hifi_4.jpg

Thanks for reading my post and Regards: Elliott

A

Anderson

I think your system is okay but you've got it set up wrong. With loudness on and the treble control maxed you're putting your system under a lot of stress. I realise that you may like the way it sounds, but its not HiFi.

1. Turn the loudness off.

2. Turn the treble to 0.

Try and get used to your system without the tone controls engaged, if after a week its still missing something then use a touch of bass and treble.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Elliot, how far apart are your speakers? you said 'cable from amp to each speaker is 5m' - but I guess the speakers are not 10m apart from each other are they? Ideally, the speakers and your listening position need to form an equilateral triangle. So if you are sitting 2.5 metres from that wall (speakers), the speakers also need to be 2.5 metres apart.

The speakers also seem to be quite high - what height are they in comparision to your ear listening level? Ideally you want the tweeter of your BX2's at the same height as your ears, or have them facing down a little.

Are they just sitting on those shelves or do you have something like blu tac underneath?

Also, are they pointing directly to where you listen, and have you tried facing them straight ahead, or somewhere in between - experimenting to get the best soundstage.

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
When you say ok, what do you exactley mean? Bear in mind that my budget was very limited.

I have tried the amp with loudness turned off and trebble at 0, but it sounds dull, and very flat. With the way I have it set, it sounds colourfull, engaging and brings the bass and mid into the fore ground. Why would it put my amp under stress, after all it must have been desiged with those features in mind.

For the speakers, one is on a custom built shelf for it and the other is on top of a record storage unit. Both are at ear level when I stand up. They are about 15-20 cm away from the wall. See picture below as a guide.

hifi_5.jpg

A

Anderson

I mean its okay, its a nice bedroom system. Certainly nothing to be scoffed at.

If you prefer the sound like that, who am I to argue? Loudness boosts bass and treble significantly, with that and treble maxed you could easily be putting way more than double the power through your tweeter when at normal listening levels. Increasing the volume so that its loud and you could damage your speakers.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can do some maths of the power requirements when engaging loudness and tone controls.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Generally to get the most from your speakers, where and how they are placed can make a difference. Ideally they would be placed on solid stands (I use pea size blu tak blobs under the speakers) that keep them as still as possible, with the tweeters at your ear height when you are in your listening position. Start with the speakers firing straight ahead and then experiment with them toed in until you find the best configuration that gives you the best soundstage. And if you are say 2 metres away from them in your listening position, have the speakers the same distance apart - to form an equilateral triangle.

Try and experiment a bit, see if you can move the furniture in such a way that you can place your speakers lower. When you are standing up do they sound better?

You have a decent budget system that I think is handicapped by your speaker placement. I won't comment on your tone controls - I never use them (don't have any).

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Thing is I am very limited for room, however I will try to experiment with my speakers as much as I can.

I proberly perefrer the sound of the tone controls due to I grew up with graphic equlizers and JVC equipment in the 90's what may have made the music sound colourfull and is what I have got use to. I also rarley have the volume beyonde 10 o'clock.

I also have just bought as AT-150MLX cartridge and ZuPreme headshell.

I am sure my system is a lot better than a £200 system you get from argos, etc...

A

Anderson

I am sure my system is a lot better than a £200 system you get from argos, etc...
It absolutely is better, you've got a HiFi, Argos sells boom boxes.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Unless you stand when you listen, you should prioritise finding a way to have the speakers firing to ear height in the position you listen. If you can't move them, try experimenting with some wood to angle them down towards you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts