Rega Elicit R - Happy

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
New Elciit R on the rack - just noticed the AMP is humming, no not humming through the speakers when you put your ear close up. During quiet passages of music I can hear the actual amp buzzing form where I am sat on the sofa 3 metres away - really really not happy again!

My old faulty Elciit never hummed, but this one seems to! I am at a loss now as what to do?

On the phone in the morning to Cymbiosi I guess!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Get something else Steve, I'm sure there's plenty of choice for that kind of money.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well i purchased it mid-September so I don't know what Cymbiosis will do, I am telling them I dont want the amp - I don't where I stand on being entitled to a refund?

Cymbiosis are Linn, Naim, Rega & Roksan so my choice is somewhat limited - in hindsight probably should of just kept my Brio R.

If I get a refund then I am going to look at a Valve - something like the Icon Audio ST40.

Never thought I would say it but have a bad taste in my mouth now with Rega.

Might just swap it for a Nait XS2 or 5si if they don't give me a refund. However I will need a phono stage so thats another £200 if I buy the Rega one - aaarrrgggghhhhhhhhhh not Rega

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If you really like the sound Steve,I would recommend sticking with rega a while longer. I had issues with humming and a not very secure back panel,which I was unhappy about. I went through 4 (including final amp) amplifiers trying to address the problem,and rega were very happy to do this for me. I ended up sending back the amp I wanted,which had no him,but a wobbly back panel,and rega changed the back panel on the amp for me,which is not as easy as it may sound sue to all the line outs etc. This was outstanding service,but a shame that 3 of the 4 amps hummed loud enough to bug me. Each amp hummed slightly differently,but the one I kept was a lot quieter than others.no noticeable him unless ear pressed up against casing. My advice would be,if you really like the amp,to be patient,and ask for another amp,and if necessary, another after that.until problem solved or rega say they can't help any further.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm very sorry to hear that, Steve.......hard to know where to turn........maybe an ex-dem Majik DSM (Streamer, phono stage, AV integration). :shifty:

Sir Lemon

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Is it an electric humm?.. If it's electric, it's normal for most electronics (usually a coil, most of the time inaudible though) and it can go away after a while. Is it there at any load, even in standby?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sir Lemon said:
Is it an electric humm?.. If it's electric, it's normal for most electronics (usually a coil, most of the time inaudible though) and it can go away after a while. Is it there at any load, even in standby?

normal from 3 metres away?

The other Elicit R didn't hum and neither did my Brio!

Sir Lemon

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I understand your frustration and I sympathize, but yes, it is normal, it's something difficult to test for with mass produced electronics.. given a large enough batch, there's always one or more samples to slip through QA with minor issues such as the one you're accusing. Especially since an electric humm/buzz is not a functional issue (can be traced to poor wrapping, imperfect coating, etc).

Maybe you should approach Rega directly with this one, bypass the retailer altogether (especially since its other offerings are unappealing to you).

stevebrock said:
New Elciit R on the rack - just noticed the AMP is humming, no not humming through the speakers when you put your ear close up. During quiet passages of music I can hear the actual amp buzzing form where I am sat on the sofa 3 metres away - really really not happy again!

My old faulty Elciit never hummed, but this one seems to! I am at a loss now as what to do?

On the phone in the morning to Cymbiosi I guess!

Genuinely sorry, Steve. As I mentioned a few days ago you have to know when enough is enough. As others have said cut your losses and dump the Rega.

There are choices aplenty: Roksan, Naim, Arcam, Creek, Audio Analogue, Leema... all will give you a cracking sound.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Frustrating or what Steve? . . . I cant ad anything to help other than, in my book its time to re consider your position? How often do we see these issues from Rega, perhaps they are spreading themselves to thin? They are turntable manufacturers . . . . !

Pity you dont live closer, I have a Croft integrated with MM phono stage doing nothing that you could try, if nothing else it might ease your frustration in offering an alternative and radical direction to look at? Equally you are welcome to come have a listen to my ST40.

I know, I'm biased . . . but I have not been to the depths that seem to be so often reported on some equipment?

The offer is there, CJSF

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Sir Lemon said:
Maybe you should approach Rega directly with this one, bypass the retailer altogether (especially since its other offerings are unappealing to you).

Which is exactly what I did with a buzzing Brio-R.

They authorised an exchange with the dealer without having to have it tested first. Couldn't fault the service.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I agree with NHL. A Tacima could also help.

In addition you could open the amplifier up and check the torroid is securely screwed down.

Having said all that, you are right, that shouldn't be necessary with a new product but bear in mind that a lot of amplifiers have a (slight) transformer buzz. Larger transformers are more susceptible.

Rega's service seems very good, they are aware that after sales service is a big part of their business. If you like the sound try another exchange under the proviso that if there is something wrong again, you'd want a refund/other product.

Hope you can sort it out Steve.

Regards

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
My other Elicit and Brio never hummed, the fact I can hear it 3m sat on sofa during quiet passages to me is not acceptable,I don't see why I should have to buy a mains conditioner when I have spent £1600 already, willbe on the phone at 9

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
My other Elicit and Brio never hummed, the fact I can hear it 3m sat on sofa during quiet passages to me is not acceptable,I don't see why I should have to buy a mains conditioner when I have spent £1600 already, willbe on the phone at 9

I agree, at £1,600 really these problems should have been sorted out, I really think Rega should tighten up their quality control.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

I agree, at £1,600 really these problems should have been sorted out, I really think Rega should tighten up their quality control.

Naim also hum, according to their forum, if the mains contains DC. Get a conditioner, will protect against some spikes also. Even my old Audiolab 8000A hummed occasionally.

All you who think a mains conditioner is the right route to go down are talking nonsence. No-way do you expect to pay £1600 and then some to stop it from humming.

It could be a mains problem or it could be earthing - had exactly the same with the Leema, except I could only hear mine on headphones.

BTW, I've never heard Naim amps hum and I've heard most of the 5i and XS ranges.

One has to accept that Rega's quality control is pants. Personally I'd write them a stinking letter. Not good enough, whether it's £500 or £1600.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
All you who think a mains conditioner is the right route to go down are talking nonsence. No-way do you expect to pay £1600 and then some to stop it from humming.

It could be a mains problem or it could be earthing - had exactly the same with the Leema, except I could only hear mine on headphones.

BTW, I've never heard Naim amps hum and I've heard most of the 5i and XS ranges.

One has to accept that Rega's quality control is pants. Personally I'd write them a stinking letter. Not good enough, whether it's £500 or £1600.

LMGIFY:

http://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/help-with-hum

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
NHL said:
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

Naim also hum, according to their forum, if the mains contains DC. Get a conditioner, will protect against some spikes also. Even my old Audiolab 8000A hummed occasionally.

As an ex dealer of all these products I have some experience of these matters.

Large power transformers (usually toroids) will oscillate ar the frequency at which they are used. A lot of the cost of transformers of this type goes into the way they are wound and the lamination required to make sure the transformer itself does not vibrate (and rattle) audibly.

This is something of a tuning process, with the transformers built so that they are as quiet as possible at 50hz. They may well be noisy at other frequencies but that is usually unimportant. In this case there is something (distortion) on your mains that is causing the problem, usually this is high frequency noise or significant distortion on one half of the waveform.

This is where the noise comes from and in my experience I have rarely if ever seen it cured by the use of a Tacima style filtered mainsblock. More sophisticated and effective filtering will probably help but the products that have that capability are not cheap.

Assuming the transformer is within spec (at 50hz remember) then there is a degree of hit and miss in this, one amplifier may react poorly to your specific mains character, others,like your original, may have no issues.

Frustrating I agree, but your 'circumstances' may be as much to blame as Rega's QC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts