Rega Elex-R Amplifier, First Audition

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Well, I finally heard the Elex-R today. Very nice! Associated equipment was a Rega Apollo-R hooked up to the Rega DAC, speakers were Vansderteen 2CE Signatures.

The Elex-R had a very good sound stage, good detail, surprisingly strong and tight bass. It is a touch thin and I mean just a touch, like a lot of Rega gear is, but in return I think you get a more agile and faster sound. It is also just on the edge of being bright sometimes but it mostly holds the music into neutral territory. It may not flatter some poorly recorded music. Lastly, it is musical sounding. I was always interested in hearing more from it and enjoyed just listening to the music.

As for build quality it is very heavy, fit and finish seem just okay but it is solidly built like a tank. The volume control is my only gripe as it is the same light inexpensive feeling plastic one that the less expensive Brio-R has. Interestingly, even the most expensive Elicit-R has this same knob. I would have preferred a more tactical feeling and better built one, metal maybe, but it gets the job done just fine. All the other switch gear and connectors feel good.

I have to say that overall I was really impressed by the Elex-R. Although, I am still not sure if my Proacs would be the best match for it because they also can get a little bright and lean sounding too sometimes with certain recordings. I think if anyone can match this Elex-R up with neutral sounding gear then they will have a real winner on their hands.

In the other room I heard the Rega Elicit-R, Saturn-R CD player, and Spendor 3/1 R2 speakers. The overall sound stage was wider and deeper, and the sound was more refined. My head said that this was the better system, but my heart preferred the former (Elex-R) more.

Why? Perhaps it was the different speakers, but I do know both speaker pairs very well, hearing them many times before. So trying to focus on the amps alone I just felt that the Elex-R was perhaps a little less refined, the sound stage a bit smaller too, but for some reason it was just more fun listening to it. Like the Brio-R's happy go lucky sort of sound, I think that the Elex-R might combine the best aspects from both, the fun factor of the Brio-R with a bit more power and refinement that the Elicit-R has.

I also preferred the the passive volume control on the Elex-R. I had a hard time finding just the right adjustment with the digital volume on the Elicit-R using the remote versus the passive volume control of the Elex-R. Perhaps the digital steps are too far apart? The Elicit-R is technically the better amp and I can see why one would chose this over the Elex-R, but for me, taking into account the price difference and the sound, the Elex-R would be the way to go.

I will try to get one for an extended home demo soon. I would like to hear how it sounds with my Rega RP40 and Proacs.

Cheers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Excellent write-up and a much welcomed demonstration of level-headed thinking despite subjective love of the brand.
thumbs_up.gif

Waiting for the full home audition impressions.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yep,good write up. Thanks for that. By your review it sounds like it has the classic Rega sound. I'd be interested to see how it compares to other amps in its price range, such as roksan k2 BT, the £500 amp made by the guy from electroconpaniet (I forget the name,I'm sure someone here knows), and any others.!

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
That's the fella! Sorry to go off topic to op, but any comparison s between the abrahamsen and your amp Vlad, and even what you might expect the elex to sound like?

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
Well I did it. I purchased the Rega Elex-R today. It should arrive this week somtime.

*drinks*

Congrats! I am sure you will love it! I look forward to a "home review'! - once it is settled in. I loved my Brio-R; the Elex-R even more. (Just not the first two hours)

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Antiskip,

So you have an Elex-R too? Cool. Tell me, what improvments did you notice coming from the Brio-R?

My dealer told me to break it on for about a week, does that seem about right?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
That's the fella! Sorry to go off topic to op, but any comparison s between the abrahamsen and your amp Vlad, and even what you might expect the elex to sound like?

Never used an Abrahamsen before but I expect there will be a lot of Electrocompaniet DNA there. EC is class above Roksan for amplification. As for the Rega Elex-R you have two owners here for first hand user info.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Antiskip for the description of the differences in sound. Iv'e heard the Brio-R before but not compared them side by side on the same day.

Vlad, If you have a Rega dealer nearby try to listen somtime to the Elex-R. It would be nice to hear your input compared to your K2. I would have auditioned the Roksan K2 BT but no dealers where I live. I still like that Bluetooth feature it has.

I'll let you guys know how it gels in my system in few days.

antskip

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
Antiskip,

So you have an Elex-R too? Cool. Tell me, what improvments did you notice coming from the Brio-R?

My dealer told me to break it on for about a week, does that seem about right?

Yes, I replaced my Brio-r with the Elex-R - and a week of settling is about right. The basic sound style (warm, transparent?) is shared, but with improvement in every area with every recording. It is so much better that every recording is as if new. A better sound at every level, more detail, a much greater field, a lovely extra musicality (and I loved the Brio-R). As you would expect, it can be played much louder without distortion. My LS50 speakers now have the driver to allow them to blossom, though I did really enjoy them with the Brio-R!. But overall the Elex-R gives a new level of musical experience. I hope you find the same.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunatly no Rega dealer here currently, though they come up as second hand ocassionaly and through direct orders. Always loved the sound of Creek, Rega, Naim, CA, MF, Exposure and Arcam, as long as I had relatively easy speakers to drive. Otherwise I went with Harman, Marantz, big Jamps and now a Roksan. Older Exposure separates really rocked my boat but they are expensive and hard to find lately.

iceman16

Vladimir said:
Unfortunatly no Rega dealer here currently, though they come up as second hand ocassionaly and through direct orders. Always loved the sound of Creek, Rega, Naim, CA, MF, Exposure and Arcam, as long as I had relatively easy speakers to drive. Otherwise I went with Harman, Marantz, big Jamps and now a Roksan. Older Exposure separates really rocked my boat but they are expensive and hard to find lately.

Hi Vlad,

Have you heard any Class A amp(s) in the past?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Vladimir said:

Hi Vlad,

Yes, biggest ones are a pair of Vincent monoblocks (Vincent SA-91 Plus + Vincent SP-991 Plus) pushing B&W 801 and Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand. Also plenty off quazy Class-A integrateds from mass brands.

iceman16

Vladimir said:
iceman16 said:
Vladimir said:

Hi Vlad,

Yes, biggest ones are a pair of Vincent monoblocks (Vincent SA-91 Plus + Vincent SP-991 Plus) pushing B&W 801 and Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand. Also plenty off quazy Class-A integrateds from mass brands.

Thanks. I've asked cause I have heard a few amps from my local dealer and audio show(Bristol) and I think Class A surpasses most of them. Im not a techie guy but IMO Class A represent music in a "more natural" way and not like a boom and tizz. The fluidity, warmth, natural detail and fullness of music is what caught me. I used to upgrade and tweak my system in the past few years but my ears can't find something better. There's always absolute excitement before i turn my system on and thats what matters most for me.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey Iceman,

I owned a Musical Fidelity A1 for a short time. It was the most recent one with the volume push buttons. This was Class A, but I think Vladimir might disagree on that one. It was marketed as Class A anyways.

I ended up selling mine after only 3 months. I found the sound boring and bland. This might have nothing to do with Class A itself and just the design of the amp.

I heard a Coda Class A power amp one time and that was really nice.

iceman16

Happy_Listner said:
Hey Iceman,

I owned a Musical Fidelity A1 for a short time. It was the most recent one with the volume push buttons. This was Class A, but I think Vladimir might disagree on that one. It was marketed as Class A anyways.

I ended up selling mine after only 3 months. I found the sound boring and bland. This might have nothing to do with Class A itself and just the design of the amp.

I heard a Coda Class A power amp one time and that was really nice.

Hi happy listener,

what other components do you have with the A1? I mean source, speakers, cables etc.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I owned the A1 a few years back now, maybe 4 years ago?

I was using the A1 with Proac Signature 2000 speakers on Sanus stands, a Cambridge Audio C840 CD player and Cardas cables.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same MF A1 and had the same impressions about the sound. Kinda slow and bland. Same happened with most Class A amps I heard and I sold all of them. As long as I don't hear distortion (THD, IMD) in Class AB, I'll save me the high purchase prices, high electric bills and safety hazzards of Class A.

Hi-Fi gear with neutral sound with very very low distortion always seems boring and bland. Noise, loudness, distortion, wow, flutter, reverb, microphonics etc. all appeal to people a lot when they compare gear. No one is imune to this, not musicians, not producers, not regular Joe or Jane.

If you are given one perfect amp, one perfect pair of speakers, perfect matching cables, perfect source, and you know of nothing else, they have no sonic character, to you they are all knowledge, they are perfect. Your first love.

But then after 20 years of listening to the same gear, you are given a taste of new hi-fi separates with worse performance. Your mind begins comparing and the new kit sounds different, louder, in your face, details pop everywhere, sound is richer and more alive. The wow effect happens and you buy the worse gear for more money. As you climb the Hi-End ladder, gear can worsen in performance, but increase in ideological and visual appeal. Cable manufacturers intentionally worsen cable performance (RLC) to get a different sound and then advertise it like superb result of cumbersom hi-tech R&D. Some amplifier manufacturers use old and outdated amplifier topologies today just to get a slightly different sound. Rarely anyone aims at perfection, just packaging and selling this month's best detergent.

For the one who is not hi-fi promiscuous, buying a Class A amp and a pair of neutral, low distortion speakers, is all that is needed for a lifetime of musical listening.

iceman16

Vladimir said:
I had the same MF A1 and had the same impressions about the sound. Kinda slow and bland. Same happened with most Class A amps I heard and I sold all of them. As long as I don't hear distortion (THD, IMD) in Class AB, I'll save me the high purchase prices, high electric bills and safety hazzards of Class A.

Hi-Fi gear with neutral sound with very very low distortion always seems boring and bland. Noise, loudness, distortion, wow, flutter, reverb, microphonics etc. all appeal to people a lot when they compare gear. No one is imune to this, not musicians, not producers, not regular Joe or Jane.

If you are given one perfect amp, one perfect pair of speakers, perfect matching cables, perfect source, and you know of nothing else, they have no sonic character, to you they are all knowledge, they are perfect. Your first love.

But then after 20 years of listening to the same gear, you are given a taste of new hi-fi separates with worse performance. Your mind begins comparing and the new kit sounds different, louder, in your face, details pop everywhere, sound is richer and more alive. The wow effect happens and you buy the worse gear for more money. As you climb the Hi-End ladder, gear can worsen in performance, but increase in ideological and visual appeal. Cable manufacturers intentionally worsen cable performance (RLC) to get a different sound and then advertise it like superb result of cumbersom hi-tech R&D. Some amplifier manufacturers use old and outdated amplifier topologies today just to get a slightly different sound. Rarely anyone aims at perfection, just packaging and selling this month's best detergent.

For the one who is not hi-fi promiscuous, buying a Class A amp and a pair of neutral, low distortion speakers, is all that is needed for a lifetime of musical listening.

Here's where the Ams 351 excels. Right Cno?

iceman16 said:
Vladimir said:

Here's where the Ams 351 excels. Right Cno?

Why are comparing a 35i with a more affordable version? I'm sure I'm from a different planet.

FWIW I had MF A300 on home dem and it was the biggest pile of s### I've ever heard at the money. It was horrible and dull, and the presentation was so warm you could cook toast on it. This was long before the Leema, back in the A65+ days.

Anyway, why are you asking the question about Class A when the OP has only just purchased a Rega?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just a bit of chitchat PP. Keeping the thread warm with some Class A talk while Happy Listener enjoys his new amp and accumulating new impressions.

Peace

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts