Question System upgrade

Darius73

Dec 3, 2023
Visit site
Hi. It's my first post here, so "hello".

I'm looking for the one single component in my system to upgrade. It isn't bad overall, but I guess I'm looking for a sound that's got a bit more attack , that's a bit more engaging, that would have more clarity.

Current setup is Mega P8 with Ania Pro cartridge, Rega Aria phono stage, Rega Elex R amp, B&W 704 S2 speakers, and REL T-5i subwoofer. I guess it's quite Rega heavy.

Music tastes: pop, folk, post-punk, dance.

I'm not decided about budget. If it was something really special, I'd save up for it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reactions: Oxfordian

Cork

Aug 9, 2023
Visit site
There's nothing lacking in your system, so first thing I'd look at is your room, speaker placement, and possible room treatments.

How are the speakers placed relative to your primary listening position and how far are you from the speakers? If you're not sitting in the sweet spot (either too close or too far away), that could be giving you a less than desirable experience. And even if your room is technically set up well, it might help to tweak speaker toe-in and listening position. I recently moved my listening position up about 1.5 feet and it noticeably improved the dynamics. (When I set everything up I walked around the room; later I bent over to pick something up and went "whoa!")

As for attack, if your room is too "soft" (curtains, rugs, bookcases) that could be sucking some life out of the music. Fixing that is harder, but experimenting will at least let you know if it's the problem and save you from chasing equipment fixes for years.

And if none of that hits home, or if your room is small or very large, then I'd look at different speakers; not because they aren't good, but they may not be the right choice for you.

There's nothing lacking in your system, so first thing I'd look at is your room, speaker placement, and possible room treatments.

How are the speakers placed relative to your primary listening position and how far are you from the speakers? If you're not sitting in the sweet spot (either too close or too far away), that could be giving you a less than desirable experience. And even if your room is technically set up well, it might help to tweak speaker toe-in and listening position. I recently moved my listening position up about 1.5 feet and it noticeably improved the dynamics. (When I set everything up I walked around the room; later I bent over to pick something up and went "whoa!")

As for attack, if your room is too "soft" (curtains, rugs, bookcases) that could be sucking some life out of the music. Fixing that is harder, but experimenting will at least let you know if it's the problem and save you from chasing equipment fixes for years.

And if none of that hits home, or if your room is small or very large, then I'd look at different speakers; not because they aren't good, but they may not be the right choice for you.
I would agree that having a pretty decent system is one thing but if it does not suit your room then it is money wasted.
If room treatment is not on the cards then your essential upgrade points are source( i.e. your cartridge) or your speakers.
However, some might say you need to upgrade that amplifier and bring it more in line to cost of your front end....

Darius73

Dec 3, 2023
Visit site

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I've just moved speakers a bit further from the wall behind them, and I feel that makes a difference. I've also tweeked the bass level on the subwoofer. (My partner turns it up, and it's too much for my tastes.) I think you're right - there isn't anything wrong with the system.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I've just moved speakers a bit further from the wall behind them, and I feel that makes a difference. I've also tweeked the bass level on the subwoofer. (My partner turns it up, and it's too much for my tastes.) I think you're right - there isn't anything wrong with the system.
Tell partner to keep their hands off... :)

Oxfordian

Hi. It's my first post here, so "hello".

I'm looking for the one single component in my system to upgrade. It isn't bad overall, but I guess I'm looking for a sound that's got a bit more attack , that's a bit more engaging, that would have more clarity.

Current setup is Mega P8 with Ania Pro cartridge, Rega Aria phono stage, Rega Elex R amp, B&W 704 S2 speakers, and REL T-5i subwoofer. I guess it's quite Rega heavy.

Music tastes: pop, folk, post-punk, dance.

I'm not decided about budget. If it was something really special, I'd save up for it.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Awesome system, what about having a look at the Elicit or Aethos Rega amps as an upgrade on your Elex R?

Darius73

Dec 3, 2023
Visit site
Awesome system, what about having a look at the Elicit or Aethos Rega amps as an upgrade on your Elex R?
Actually, I was thinking about the Elicit Mk 5 as an upgrade. The Aethos is much more expensive, and then I wonder if the rest of the system will feel inferior compared to it. More money! haha.

Darius73

Dec 3, 2023
Visit site
I would agree that having a pretty decent system is one thing but if it does not suit your room then it is money wasted.
If room treatment is not on the cards then your essential upgrade points are source( i.e. your cartridge) or your speakers.
However, some might say you need to upgrade that amplifier and bring it more in line to cost of your front end....
I'm thinking about the Elicit mk5 as an upgrade that wouldn't be too heavy on the wallet.

Darius73

Dec 3, 2023
Visit site
The Elex-R is a very capable amp. Would you be changing for the sake of a having a new box?
I'm starting to wonder if I should wait until I'm ready for a serious upgrade. Otherwise it might end up being "bitty". The Elicit - I'm sure it's fantastic - might be too small an improvement.

The Elex is significantly cheaper than both my turntable and speakers, so had been wondering if it was the weakest link.

Oxfordian

I'm starting to wonder if I should wait until I'm ready for a serious upgrade. Otherwise it might end up being "bitty". The Elicit - I'm sure it's fantastic - might be too small an improvement.
I have a system that sounds pretty good (at least to me) but I have this itch to upgrade and I am stood on the edge of the black hole of diminishing returns, my P3 to a ........., the Hegel to a ........, it is dammed difficult to ignore that itch but I am so thankful that at the moment my itch cure treatment is working - the wife has my plastic.

;)

Darius73

Dec 3, 2023
Visit site
I have a system that sounds pretty good (at least to me) but I have this itch to upgrade and I am stood on the edge of the black hole of diminishing returns, my P3 to a ........., the Hegel to a ........, it is dammed difficult to ignore that itch but I am so thankful that at the moment my itch cure treatment is working - the wife has my plastic.

;)
haha. Yes, I think it's an itch for me rather than really needing an upgrade. I'm probably going to change the flooring in the hi fi room in the next year or so, so it makes sense to wait as undoubtedly the acoustics will change.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts