Rega Elex-R Amplifier, First Audition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iceman16

Vladimir said:
Just a bit of chitchat PP. Keeping the thread warm with some Class A talk while Happy Listener enjoys his new amp and accumulating new impressions.

Peace

Maybe you've heard a classy class A.and you dont like it. How about class A at present? Vlad?

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Vlad is just trying to ruin my new amp experience by throwing Class A in my face *preved*

I'm joking of course.

It's okay with me PP. I'm the OP but I'm cool with going off topic somtimes. Audio is all linked together, so I think it's good to just let the discussion ebb and flow.

Anways, my Elex-R will be here this Friday so I'll try to let you guys know this weekend what I think of it in my system. I'm pretty confident I am going to like it more than I did the Class A MF A1.

iceman16

Happy_Listner said:
Vlad is just trying to ruin my new amp experience by throwing Class A in my face *preved*

I'm joking of course.

It's okay with me PP. I'm the OP but I'm cool with going off topic somtimes. Audio is all linked together, so I think it's good to just let the discussion ebb and flow.

Anways, my Elex-R will be here this Friday so I'll try to let you guys know this weekend what I think of it in my system. I'm pretty confident I am going to like it more than I did the Class A MF A1.

damn, He's here

Happy_Listner said:

I'm joking of course.

I know you're the OP -- I couldn't be bothered to type your name (late night drivel).

Slowly and insidiously since joining "snobbyville" posters have moved away from giving open-minded advice and now it has to be "Class A" or you're a weedy boy with a letter from teacher explaining why you've chosen inferior Class A/B, D or G. Then you get the active brigade telling you what you can and can't buy because their bundles defies science in SQ, despite the poster not asking about an active route.

This isn't the place I first joined. Would be nice just to talk about hi-fi rather than what class...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Happy_Listner said:

I'm joking of course.

I know you're the OP -- I couldn't be bothered to type your name (late night drivel).

Slowly and insidiously since joining "snobbyville" posters have moved away from giving open-minded advice and now it has to be "Class A" or you're a weedy boy with a letter from teacher explaining why you've chosen inferior Class A/B, D or G. Then you get the active brigade telling you what you can and can't buy because their bundles defies science in SQ, despite the poster not asking about an active route.

This isn't the place I first joined. Would be nice just to talk about hi-fi rather than what class...

This is what "talk about hi-fi" looks like whether you are comfortable with it or not. Actually this thread is quite interesting and very well-behaved (so far).

Sometimes I learn stuff. (If not from contributors then from researching things they have said.)

drummerman said:
plastic penguin This isn't the place I first joined. Would be nice just to talk about hi-fi rather than what class... [/quote said:
Isn't it all part of the hobby?

regards

Yes... hearing constantly about Class A and "you must hear one" becomes predictable... and from personal experience of Class A I'd rather smear my backside with bleach than spend good money on a dreary Class A amp.

Once told a story on here about me ditching my Beatles collection: Had a few albums (on vinyl) of the prefab four and Wings, and a schoolfriend was obsessed with them and kept bleating on about great they were (most know about their success and talent). This became so bloody monotonous and boring I never played any of their albums for nearly 10-years -- the constant badgering choked me right off.

This place, in a short few years, has gone from "hobbyville" to "snobbyville".

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:

regards

Yes... hearing constantly about Class A and "you must hear one" becomes predictable... and from personal experience of Class A I'd rather smear my backside with bleach than spend good money on a dreary Class A amp.

Once told a story on here about me ditching my Beatles collection: Had a few albums (on vinyl) of the prefab four and Wings, and a schoolfriend was obsessed with them and kept bleating on about great they were (most know about their success and talent). This became so bloody monotonous and boring I never played any of their albums for nearly 10-years -- the constant badgering choked me right off.

Well, in that case, there's only one thing to do isn't there?

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:

regards

Well, in that case, there's only one thing to do isn't there?

Yup.

drummerman said:
Full moon. There will be a few more heated debates as usual so perhaps wait a few days before making decisions :)

regards

Child: "Mummy, mummy what's a werewolf?"

Mother: "Shut up, son, and go and shave your hands."

Nah, all's well in the PP household and upgrades won't be planned in the short-medium term, except for a TT (I've semi-shortlisted a few).

So there you have it...

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Some quotes from An American Werewolf in London:

"Stay on the road" "Keep clear of the moors" "Beware the moon, lads." "A naked American man stole my balloons" "I vote we go back to the Slaughtered Lamb"

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Vladimir said:
Just a bit of chitchat PP. Keeping the thread warm with some Class A talk while Happy Listener enjoys his new amp and accumulating new impressions.

Peace

Maybe you've heard a classy class A.and you dont like it. How about class A at present? Vlad?

I like Class A sound, it is as pure as it can be regarding distortion, which results in relaxed listening. Ideally I believe an amplifier should have no sonic signature, add or remove from the original signal it enhances as less as possible. However, I too like lemon flavored water and enjoyed various amps through my life, part of the fun of this hobby sometimes.

Most high quality proper made Class A amps have "let me down" at first listen. When you see those monoblocks bigger than most Tokyo living rooms, sucking in more power than central heating and blasting heat like actual central heating, and the sound is relaxed, smooth and sweet, I get underwhelmed. But then I turn up the volume. *shok* Oh my G!

After you get hooked up to that bottomless abyss of pure power, you want one, even a little one. So I bought integrated amps with Class A stickers. Whether they run first 8, 10, 30 or whatever watts in Class A, the result is not as impressive, sometimes hardly at all audible. After a while you notice they tend to self-destruct from the heat and I realized, who in the right mind made a 12 kilo integrated Class A with small heat sinks inside the box?

All this bringing me to a conclusion, Class topology is not the main factor here, but the build quality. You can't have a proper Class A amp without it weighing a ton, with massive heat sinks extruding on both sides, sucking in 3 French nuclear power stations, all components of high quality, with high operating headroom, extremely well matched and handpicked, R&D and build done to OCD perfection, double, triple checked everything working to spec before going to the customer. If any, any! small link in this complex chain fails, the amp explodes, engulfing in fire the owner, the family, the dog, the house, the neighborhood.

IMO proper Class A sounds as good as it does because of it's uncompromised build. Start compromising it to affordable small integrated levels, you might as well get a Class AB or D. Less and less appeal to it. To me personally not much appeal to a small integrated running somewhat in Class A, made with lots of doorstops so it doesn't self-destruct when you turn up the wick, or just by leaving it on!

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The Elex-R is here! It came a day early on Thursday. I set it up after work and listened to it for much of the evening. Maybe 7 records so far and left it powered on for about 8 hours. I am sure it needs to break in so I won't say too much about it right now. I will say that this is one heavy beast for its size and power rating. It feels like about 14 or 15 kg. I think much of the weight is in the casework. It is really solid and the metal is thick. It's a little somber and industrial looking but its got a certain quiet elegance about it. Perhaps too much black for me personally though. I wish it came in silver to lighten up the mood. The binding posts are really nice, sturdy and all metal. The plastic volume control still feels a bit flimsy and little cheap, out of place for the price I paid, $1800 or about 1100 pounds. The switch for the on/off button is not quite centered just like one review stated on his review sample. That button and the source selector button is plastic too. It's functional and it works just wish the switches and knob were a little more upscale.

After 8 hours it did get warm but never hot. Also, it is quiet, with no hum, buzz, or hiss noises. Even when music is playing it is very quiet between the notes. Initial sonic impressions are that's its not perfect, nothing is. I do have some mixed feelings about it, but most things are positive. It is musical and keeps me interested in the music so that's always a good sign. I'll see how and if the sound changes over the coming days. It's not really fair for me to give any final or absolute impressions of it yet. So that's all for now. I'll give you guys an update in a few more days after it breaks in.

Cheers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Nice! *smile*

Found a nudie of the Elex-R. Looks like the electronics can fit inside a Brio-R shoebox case but the larger heat dissipation (and higher price) requires a standard 430mm wide box. From what I can see it has a good build, typical of this price range. Clean, simple and nice symmetric design.

Rega_Elex-R_3.jpg

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey Valdmir,

I know the transformer is not shielded and there is not even a heatsink to use as a barrier, but I really hear no hum at all. Maybe some people will? I guess the sides of the case are used. for the heatsinks. Or maybe there is another layer of metal on the sides for it, hard to tell.

I do not know what size the transformer is. Do you know? I am not sure if that would fit into a Brio-R's case or not. Maybe I need to open it up and take a look.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts