Speakers for Rega Elicit (Not R version)

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
This was my all rega system a couple of years ago, Rega Apollo cd player, Rega Mira 3 amp and Rega Rs3 speakers...

5263722457_7fa70842c0_z.jpg

I've since upgraded the cd player to the Rega Saturn (Not the new R version) and the amp to a Rega Elicit, the previous version, not the new Elicit-R.

I'm thinking that now I've got a better cd player and amp maybe I need to upgrade the speakers too!

The thing is I think having upgraded the electronics, my Rs3 speakers seam a little lean to me now and I'm thinking the natural step is to change the speakers for the Rega Rs5.

With the system the way it was in the photo I was happy with the sound but typically now I've tinkered I'm not getting quite as much enjoyment as I was!

I think because there is now more detail to the sound, there is a slightly less relaxed and warm sound as there once was. I'd like a bit more warmth to go with the detail and a bit more scale to the sound.

Will the Rs5 give me this or are there any other speakers I should be looking at?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Moving to the slightly larger next model up will usually bring you improvements in the bass and lower midrange, but will usually retain the same characteristics of the midrange and high frequencies that you are used to. Changing to a different manufacturer is a little trickier if you're trying to improve one aspect of the sound you currently enjoy, as you may well improve the bass with a different model, but it could upset the mid/treble balance and presentation that you like.

I'd say the safe bet is the Rega RS5.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

How long have you had this new set up? It maybe a question of you adjusting to the new sound? If not then I suggest you get a home demo of Rs5, should give you more bass but not sure if they will work with your room. Other things you can do is a bit of room treatment, like rug on floor between you and speakers, filling the shelfs behind the speakers with books etc.

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I've had the Saturn for a couple of years but only replaced the Mira with the Elicit a few months ago.

The Rs3 speakers' sound isn't very room filling in my room. 2 o'clock on the Elicit dial is loud enough but doesn't seem to have much in reserve and then it starts to sound too lean.

Before I put the shelves in I had my speakers in the alcoves either side of the fireplace but they were different speakers without the side firing units. The shelves are filled with books now.

The cables I uses are Rega mains cables, Rega couple interconnect and Rega duet speaker cables.

I had thought about the Tannoy DC6T SE speaker which was an award winner here at What Hi-fi but I think I'd like to stick with Rega, like David said it might be trickier going for a different manufacturer.

I've seen the Rs5 available online for £649 (slight seconds) but only available in gloss white. I'm not too sure if I like the white but I'm sure I could get used to them. The same website has the Rs7 in glosss black for £1,099 (45% off).

I think the Rs5 might be the answer as there isn't such a leap up in size, I think the Rs7 might be too big for my room, I don't want them to dominate the rest of the furniture.

The RS5's might give you what you want but personally |'d have another look at re-arranging what you already have.

From the look of your current set-up you might try moving the speakers a:) closer together and away from the sidewalls, or even b:) moving closer together as in A:) but switching them so that side speakers are facing outwards. You never know .........
regular_smile.gif

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, I have experimented with speaker placement but in my room I prefer the side firing divers facing in. I tried them both ways and couldn't really decide which way was best, at first I thought I preferred them out but settled on the drivers facing in as there was little difference, if any.
Because of the side walls, with the drivers facing out, I have to bring the speakers very close together right next to the fireplace for the drivers to have enough room. It makes sense to me to have them facing in so the side drivers aren't too close to any boundaries.

My speakers are a bit closer currently than they are in the photo above. That photo was taken about 3 years ago now and the shelves are filled with books and cds now!

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I chose the old-style Saturn a few years ago over an Apollo as it seemed significantly more revealing. However, I discovered that - with the wrong kit - this can lead to an over-bright impression. An amp change corrected this: second-hand Primare A30.1 has been wonderful! However, I still felt I was missing something and decided to try a sub, using the pre-outs from the Primare. This has been a complete success and the sound has filled out brilliantly, without any added boom.

With your speakers in alcoves risking boominess, I'd say that excellent speaker options (as suggested above) are either larger Regas, PMC GB1/FB1 (plenty available second-hand) or 22/23/24 if you want to push the boat out. However, your Elicit has pre-outs and a sub might just do the job - could you borrow one to try out the effect?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I've just purchased a pair of RS5's (open box at a significant discount - just could'nt resist). Got them yesterday so they are still running in at the moment, but after 12 hrs they are starting to reveal themselves.

Placed 2.5 metres apart (base units facing out) and 80cms from both the back and side walls, they are certainly filling my 4m x 5m room much better than my old Mission 780's, and I wont be needing the BK sub for music duties anymore. Previously I had the RS3's on home demo for a full weekend. and from memory (it was two years ago) the RS5's give a greater scale to the music.

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like the Rs5 is the one for me then. More of what the Rs3 gives me but on a larger scale.

The PMC are supposed to be great speakers, I work with a lad who has them with his Naim gear and swears by them but I'll probably stick with Rega as I know I'm not too far off what I'm after, even if the PMC is a better speaker. Like David said earlier, it might be a bit trickier to change manufacturer.

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Before I finally decide, does anyone think that the Kudos X2 speaker would be a good option?

I've been reading up and they seem like great little floorstanders. I love the look of these and they look great quality. Obviously they are a little bit more expensive than the Rega Rs5 but they're roughly the same size as my Rs3 (which would please the wife) and seem a better speaker with a big sound.

I'll try to get an audition but I was just wondering if I'd be wasting my time or in theory would they be a good choice for the Rega Elicit amp? Do Kudos normally match up well with Rega?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
British living rooms/ layouts never stopped to amaze me :)

With Rega Elicit I would consider ATC SCM11... Much, much better speakers then Rega's own

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
lpv said:
British living rooms/ layouts never stopped to amaze me :)

With Rega Elicit I would consider ATC SCM11... Much, much better speakers then Rega's own

Thanks for the suggestion but I was really looking at floorstanders to be honest and the ones ATC do are too expensive for me!

I hadn't considered standmounts but now you've got me thinking.

How do the Kudos X2 compare with Rega speakers and are they a good match?

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I missed out on those Rs5 speakers, great price too but I hesitated and they were gone.

Yesterday invited a work colleague round to give his opinion on my set up, he is an audiophile and I thought he might offer some insight. He heard my system a couple of years ago when I had an Apollo, Mira and Rs3 speakers and was quite impressed.

I told him I'd upgraded the cd player to the Saturn and Mira amp to the Elicit but kept the speakers. I told him I wasn't really happy though and would he come round for a listen.

I played him some tracks and he knew right away something wasn't quite right. I still have my Rega Mira amp so I swapped the Elicit amp over to the Mira and we both thought the sound was better with the Mira!

With the Elicit back in driving the Rs3, the sound was less smooth, less musical, harsh even. We both decided that it was easier to listen to the set up with the Mira partnering the Saturn and Rs3 speakers. My friend thinks the speakers are to blame and I'd need to get better ones to hear what the Elicit can do.

My dilemma then is to put the Mira back in and leave the system as it is without upgrading or keep the Elicit and upgrade the speakers for better ones for that amp. and sell the Mira.

The Elicit should be a better amp, it feels and looks much better quality than the Mira but maybe not in this system. I feel I haven't heard what the Elicit can really do yet so I'm wanting to upgrade the speakers.
However with my current speakers I can't listen to music for any length of time and it makes more sense to put the Mira back in to enjoy the system as it is and put it down to experience... but then I'll always have that nagging feeling I haven't upgraded and that I could get more from my system if I just change the speakers...

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I think in your shoes, I would be looking to get some speakers on home demo to see which combination works best in your room. Also maybe then you can decide just how much you want from your system, as opposed to just enjoying the music.

I've had my RS5's a week now and I find them very musical on the end of my Brio (not the R version) and Apollo - in fact I could listen to them for days without any fatigue. I try to analyse the sound, but quickly drift out of analysis mode, as I just enjoy the music. I think a more powerful amplifier would help with listening at low levels, but overall I'm pleased with my slightly unplanned (but not completely blind) bargain purchase. When I picked them up from a 7oaks branch I was chatting about upgrading my amp. They suggested that when I demo the Elex R, not to overlook the Brio R as it's possible I might prefer it.

So when I start looking at amps, I will demo them at home to be absolutely sure they work with my kit in my room, if they don't - I might just decide that it's not worth the money to upgrade for a very small improvement in sound and a remote.

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes it makes sense to try the Rega RS5 at home and see how it works with either of the Rega amps while I still have both.

The only trouble is living where I do in North Wales it is hard to demo any kit as there are no local dealers.
If I bought a pair of RS5 and it sounded great with the Elicit then bingo, I'd just sell the Mira and the RS3 and the RS5 would hardly have cost me anything. If the RS5 still doesn't sound right with the Elicit then the Mira would be fine as the bigger speakers would still have greater scale than the RS3. In that case I'd sell the Elicit and RS3 and the RS5 won't have cost me anything at all.

I'm sure the even bigger RS7 would be the ideal speaker for the Elicit as they are supposed to be smoother sounding than the RS3 or RS5 but I think they might be too big! Time to get the tape measure out!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't too sure about the RS7's either. I'd seen a new pair in an auction going for under £400 - but they were white. My wife kept telling me that we didn't want white and I wasn't too sure whether they were too big for my room. I'd demoed the RS3's at home previously so I knew the RS5's would be a safe bet. The auction seller must have had a job lot of white RS7's and out of curiousity I kept watching what each pair went for each week. Plenty of white out there for anyone who has a modern styled white room.

Ric969

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Quick update.

I took a chance and bought a pair of Totem Arro speakers from ebay.

The Totem Arro speakers arrived on Tuesday and I've been listening to them for the last three days.

At first I was a little disappointed, I don't know why, I guess I was expecting a bit more from them. I kept swapping back and forth between the Totems and my Regas and I kept thinking the Regas were better. The Regas are certainly louder and they seemed better and they seemed to have more bass than the Totems although the Totems sounded quite good and more musical but quieter.

So I decided to relegate the Regas to the garage and just live with the Totems for a few days without switching back and forth.

Well I can now say I won't be going back to the Regas! The Totems are far more musical, every cd I play sounds great and I'm enjoying the music much more than I've done for a long while.

The bass of the Totems might not be the deepest but it's tighter and more tuneful than I can ever remember hearing on the Regas and I'm getting used to the volume level too, in fact I just had to turn the volume down!

These Totems gel better with my Elicit amp than the Rega speakers, my set up now has a lovely balanced tone with no harshness and no excessive bass, the bass is enough for me in my room and what bass is there is nice and tight.

The wife loves the look of the speakers too, happy days!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts